Austin Aune former Argyle Qb available?

TheReal_jayD

4 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I'm gonna say that with Senior Mason Fine coming back next year there will be no QB battle....

I think we all pray that is the case.  I would also say though, we have to start building a system with replaceable parts and not have the Fine era be a once every decade blip.  We need to start weening the replacements in games where we can, even if it means Fine's numbers may suffer a tad.    Shanbour is like a coach on the field but he has been here like 10-years so I think he graduates after this season.  One of the others will have to step up and become the heir apparent.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I think we all pray that is the case.  I would also say though, we have to start building a system with replaceable parts and not have the Fine era be a once every decade blip.  We need to start weening the replacements in games where we can, even if it means Fine's numbers may suffer a tad.    Shanbour is like a coach on the field but he has been here like 10-years so I think he graduates after this season.  One of the others will have to step up and become the heir apparent.

Great point Harry. As I have said before, after next season I would like to see and believe we will, Quinn as a Grad Assistant. However, I would really like to see one of the "younger" QB's beat out Quinn as the backup in the Fall. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

The same article you quoted from has the following information further down in the article:

Transfer trigger: A condition that affects your transfer status. A transfer student is a student who transfers from a collegiate institution after having triggered any of the conditions:

• Enrolled full-time during any term and attended class or in Division I if you are enrolled full time and are on campus on the opening day of classes.
  • Reported for a regular squad practice.
  • Practiced or competed while enrolled less than full-time..
  • Received institutional financial aid while attending summer school.

I believe that at least one of the first three bullets are likely to apply in Austin's case.

Of course he will be considered a transfer student.  But the fact that he never received a scholarship from Arkansas makes him eligible to compete immediately.  Unless Arkansas were to refuse to release him for transfer, which I can't imagine given the circumstances.

• Upvote 2

So lets say he is victim to sitting out a year. He will be/stay on the football roster. He will still have his redshirt year to "burn" while he sits out. He will still have 4 years after this year to play. He very well can be the 30 year old RS Senior. Could very well work his way into the #2 spot in 2019 behind Fine. Will have to compete with RS Sophomore Pearson, and Bean or Martin who could be RS Freshmen or 2nd year Sophomores. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Of course he will be considered a transfer student.  But the fact that he never received a scholarship from Arkansas makes him eligible to compete immediately.  Unless Arkansas were to refuse to release him for transfer, which I can't imagine given the circumstances.

I guess agree to disagree.  The way I interpret the NCAA guidelines, he will be a transfer and subject to transfer rules (i.e. ineligible to play this Fall) since he enrolled and attended practices in the Spring at UA.  Either way, I would be very surprised to see him on the field this year, but he most definitely has some QB chops and I can't wait to see if he can regain his HS form that made him one of the top QBs of his class.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

I guess agree to disagree.  The way I interpret the NCAA guidelines, he will be a transfer and subject to transfer rules (i.e. ineligible to play this Fall) since he enrolled and attended practices in the Spring at UA. 

It's not a matter of interpretation.  The rules say what they say.  They say yes, he will be a transfer.  But the rules are not the same for all transfers.  That's why a scholarship QB from an FBS school can transfer to an FCS school and be immediately eligible.  It's why a scholarship QB who has completed his degree requirements can transfer to an FBS school and be immediately eligible.  And it's why a walk-on QB can transfer to an FBS school and be immediately eligible.

As I said before, all of this is a moot point considering we're talking about a QB who hasn't taken an in-game snap at any level in 7 years.  Unless 2010 happens again (which it really can't, considering the number of scholarship QBs we already have on the roster), he will not see the field this year.

I don't think that summer practices count unless all are required to attend.  I'm not even sure that what would be considered "practices" by the NCAA are allowed.  That would mean with coaches present.  Aren't there just 30 practice days allowed before the beginning of the season?

1 hour ago, MeanGreenZen said:

We also have to prepare for the nightmare scenario that Littrell gets an attractive P5 job (OK State?, TX Tech?) and Mason Fine follows him as a grad transfer.

So far, the grad transfer thing has only benefitted us, but it could also burn us. Really, really hope it doesn’t happen. 

Thought about this before, but since Mason played as a true Freshman not sure if he is on schedule to graduate in 3 years

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1