FAU means serious business

Kiffen is loading up his roster with lots of talent.  This is the way you win in CUSA.  They are my darkhorse to win the East.

Big news for Lane Kiffin: Jeremiah Taleni, a 6-2, 300-pound defensive tackle who was expected to be Pitt’s top D-lineman this season before being dismissed, and linebacker Kain Daub, once a top recruit at FSU, are expected to be eligible and cleared to practice for FAU starting Tuesday, a source told SI. The 6-4, 250-pound Daub had chosen FSU over Alabama, among others. He spent the 2016 season at a junior college in New York.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017...s-pitt-fsu

• Downvote 2

So they're going the UTSA route and bringing in the dirtiest players they can find for a quick uptick in wins that they hope will carry them through the inevitable crash of coaches leaving and players getting dismissed.  Good for them.  

I really am beginning to believe that this route is the only way to win at the G5 level, and only then for short bursts of time.  

If that is indeed true, I'm perfectly content to sit here in Denton, wallowing in mediocrity.  

• Upvote 7
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

So they're going the UTSA route and bringing in the dirtiest players they can find for a quick uptick in wins that they hope will carry them through the inevitable crash of coaches leaving and players getting dismissed.  Good for them.  

I really am beginning to believe that this route is the only way to win at the G5 level, and only then for short bursts of time.  

If that is indeed true, I'm perfectly content to sit here in Denton, wallowing in mediocrity.  

As am I...But I think this is stretching reality. 

In defense of 2nd chances, I'm all for them pending the crime and if it's actually a 2nd chance and not a 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

As am I...But I think this is stretching reality. 

In defense of 2nd chances, I'm all for them pending the crime and if it's actually a 2nd chance and not a 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. 

I agree with this as well.....but for the next 2-3 years, both FAU and FIU may be teams to look out for.  You can't discount coaching at this level....

Looking at the other teams in CUSA web sites you would think they all are going to win the conference championship.  Except two-UTEP and UNT.  Yes we are the Cubs of football.  The Cubby fans stuck with that team forever and we should be the same way.  We need to start having more of positive attitude about your team.  The season has not started we are already down on the team.  What do the the players and recruits think reading our posts.  I am sure some do.  We all know we have some problems in our programs.  I don't think complaining on the board will change things.  I suggest you send your ideas and thoughts to Baker or the coaching staffs.  

When the seasons starts there is no place i rather be than Apogee Stadium with the other fans, the band, the cheerleaders and the team on the field.  These guys knock themselves out to be on the field and mostly likely work harder because they are not 3 or 4 star recruits.   Go to the UAB fan board and read the letter from the coaches wife to the team and people that supported program, it is very good.  Most likely we will never be a national champion (money) but I do think we can be a team in the top twenty. I think we are headed that direction.  Yes i have the green colored glasses on and I would not have it no other way.  If you so unhappy with the team than do what UNT90 did and jump on the TCU wagon.  When we lose It does bother me but then I remember it just a game and next week is a new chance.

BTW it looks like UTEP is not going to use all their practice days before the start of the season.  I guess UTEP coaching staff thinks they are going to be good.

That is all i have and i will see you at apogee stadium.

GMG

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2

4 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

Since 2005, we have 41 wins and 104 losses, with one winning season out of 11, spanning 5 head coaches. I'd almost be willing to sell my Mean Green Arms and Legs for us to just be mediocre going forward...

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I bet there are plenty of FAU fans that feel the same way right smack in the midst of this Kiffen era.  Not everyone wants to win at all costs.  Especially when you're a G5 who knows without a shadow of a doubt that a dude like Kiffen isn't going to stay long term and is probably going to leave a wake of trouble behind him.  

Best case scenario, a dude elevates the program to the next rung up and doesn't leave the school/program in complete shambles after the NCAA gets through picking through the trash.  Seems to have just worked for the dirtiest school of them all---smu with Larry Brown.  With the NCAA somewhat toothless these days (after the PSU hand slap and subsequent lawsuits), you have to think more schools are going to try.  For a school like FAU, Boise in the 90s, or really ANY CUSA/SuckBelt school....we are starting at the bottom already.  What threat does getting smacked back down to the bottom present?  Not much...unless holding onto your dignity matters.

FAU is not going to be a lukewarm team... they'll either win 8-9 games, or flame out about halfway through the year and Kiffin will be fired amid allegations of NCAA violations.

I'm thinking they'll keep it together for year one and be succesful. this is not good for us. 

• Upvote 1

Easiest prediction in college football ever:  Under Kiffin and Little Briles, FAU becomes the new "Thug U" out of south Florida...easily outpacing The U, which is being rebuilt by Christian head coach, Mark Richt. 

(The U will also fall behind FIU in the race for traditional, south Florida, football thugginess as Butch Davis, who got North Carolina embroiled in NCAA sanctions, takes over.)

Be prepared for cheap shots all day long from their defense, and ridiculous celebrations for things like even simple first downs from their offense. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Easiest prediction in college football ever:  Under Kiffin and Little Briles, FAU becomes the new "Thug U" out of south Florida...easily outpacing The U, which is being rebuilt by Christian head coach, Mark Richt. 

(The U will also fall behind FIU in the race for traditional, south Florida, football thugginess as Butch Davis, who got North Carolina embroiled in NCAA sanctions, takes over.)

Be prepared for cheap shots all day long from their defense, and ridiculous celebrations for things like even simple first downs from their offense. 

But the F_Us will actually get hit hard the first time by NCAA sanctions, unlike Miami...

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Coach Bill Lewis said:

Kiffen is loading up his roster with lots of talent.  This is the way you win in CUSA.  They are my darkhorse to win the East.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017...s-pitt-fsu

Yup, the way you win is to build up players with off-the-field issues, not having any standards whatsoever.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1