CBS Pre-Season Rankings 1-130

AustinFromUNT

1 minute ago, dmaxel said:

You don't think we could at least be better than 100th?

Hard to see it. We went 5-7, got into a bowl game based on APR, then followed it up with a subpar recruiting class. Look at UTSA. They only had one more win than us, but they hung tough with Arizona St and A&M for a while. They also beat the hell out of us in recruiting. 

If we had better recruiting classes then I'd put us top 100. Truth is, our recruiting classes have only gotten worse, so until we get 8 or 9 wins with these guys, nobody is gonna take Littrell or the team seriously

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 7

17 minutes ago, agubriz23 said:

According to CBS we ended 99th last season, surprised we're not higher or around the same for pre-season!

Well,
That's because every other team got better over the offseason and North Texas sat around doing nothing, apparently.

Also,
Army is ranked WAAAAAAYYYY TOO HIGH.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I know I'm new here but going 5-7 and losing your bowl game usually doesn't constitute a successful season. Am I missing something here? 

People may not call last year a success but to me it was.

Recovering from the Portland State blowout was huge in terms of player confidence and fan support. yes it was not a winning year but we got to a bowl, which would have been a success to anyone before the year.

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

We are really ranked 48th out of the 65 G5s (not including BYU)....

Until we can get above the top half of the G5s, we are still spinning our wheels. We are always going to be looked at as a regional body bag opponent for the p5s

It will take time to into the top half.. National pollls don't look over the complete results.. we got blown out by Portland State which set us back ALOT. 

We go out and have a solid year 6-8 wins) and I bet we see a solid jump 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I know I'm new here but going 5-7 and losing your bowl game usually doesn't constitute a successful season. Am I missing something here? 

Welcome to North Texas.   We have to find silver linings everywhere.   Our version of "successful" may be slightly skewed.
There was a brief respite in basketball, and the Soccer ladies are the only ones who've created "sustained success".

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Hard to see it. We went 5-7, got into a bowl game based on APR, then followed it up with a subpar recruiting class. Look at UTSA. They only had one more win than us, but they hung tough with Arizona St and A&M for a while. They also beat the hell out of us in recruiting. 

If we had better recruiting classes then I'd put us top 100. Truth is, our recruiting classes have only gotten worse, so until we get 8 or 9 wins with these guys, nobody is gonna take Littrell or the team seriously

So, are you saying that you rely on incoming freshmen to improve your team?  Or, would you prefer they come in, mature, maybe red-shirt and start contributing a couple of years from now?

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

So, are you saying that you rely on incoming freshmen to improve your team?  Or, would you prefer they come in, mature, maybe red-shirt and start contributing a couple of years from now?

No. I'm saying people seem to be expecting our guys to progress more than the other teams. Even if we make a solid leap forward. I'm very much expecting the rest of the league to do the same. That's why I'll be ecstatic if we hit 6-6. I can't justify our team improving exponentially while others improve linearly. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, @UNTSportsFan said:

Adding more guys that have had problems at P5s.... 

Yes it would be nice to add guys that are this talented, but not going to add guys that have problems with assaulting women, etc... SL kicked Goree and others off the team for things that these guys did..

• Upvote 5

National press attention is so minuscule, they just assume we're going to be terrible every year.  

If we'd gone 15-0 and won the national championship in 2016-2017, the media might  be so kind as to place us in the top 100 preseason.  

That said, I've no idea where UNT actually belongs.  The only win I'm counting on is against Lamar.  Everything else could go horrifically awry or surprisingly well.  That's why we play the games, isn't it?  

13 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I agree with this thought...  however, the previous classes we've brought in to mature have also been lackluster compared to other schools.

19 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Son...you haven't been following the Mean Green football long enough, apparently.  We go into every season with (unrealistic) hope.  Four times in the last 22 seasons, that hope has been justified.  Four.  The law of averages does catch up with our hope every here and again.

Littrell should play this clip for the team before every game:

1 hour ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I understand that very well but moral victories just don't move the needle for me. 

Man, you are about to get welcomed into a new reality...

That 1-11 season in 2015 was only a 1 and not a zero because UTSA had to play its 5th string QB in the second half of a game here that we scored a late TD to win.

You'll learn over time that 5 win seasons are about as good as it usually gets around here. Since 1995, when we moved up to this level of play again, we have won more than 6 games 4 times and 5 games 4 times. Every other season since 1995, a total of 22 seasons, we have won 4 games or less 14 times. That includes two seasons with 1 win, five seasons with 2 wins, four seasons with 3 wins, and three seasons with 4 wins. That covers 3 ADs, 6 head coaches, 3 conferences, and 2 stadiums.

We just want victories of any style at this point--I don't care if they are moral or real...

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2