Season Preview By SWC-Round Up

AustinFromUNT

I agree with it on a certain level, I do like that they predicted to actually win 6 games compared to other sites who have us at 3-4 wins. But here's how I'll predict:

Lamar - Win

SMU - Toss Up, I kept saying last year (especially after the Army win) if we were to play SMU later in the season then we could've won, NT has grown since then even with the loss of players graduating there still is a team that we can see a hopeful win that is possible.

Iowa - Loss, the G5vsP5 games are always going to be lopsided and there are of course the circumstances when the G5 team wins. Iowa has had a mixed bag team recently and if NT can play their books well then I can see a plausible loss by a few points and best case scenario a win 

UAB - Win, with a team just returning into football it's gonna take time for UAB to heal 

So.Miss - Toss Up, it's no surprise they're one of the powers of C-USA, but last year's loss to NT was a shock that statisticians and the team didn't expect, even though it was a win by a few points, it shows that NT's key is to not lose the determination to win and that consistency is important in both halves, so if NT can put in the first half show they did last year and keep that consistent to the second half then we can go away with a W.

UTSA - Win, every sit I see puts us as a loss against UTSA, but that can take a toll on both teams with UTSA becoming overconfident and losing (similar to NT vs UTEP last year) and NT becoming more determined to getting that W versus a team that is obsessed with us on Twitter.

FAU and Old Dominion are two teams I haven't kept up with, but knowing that Old Dominion was a surprise power last year could say something, but I'll have to wait and see

LaTech - Toss Up, this one is a bit more difficult, last year's game had many problems including some calls and the ejection of McClain, it could've been a much closer game if it weren't for the issues. LaTech has been a great team that can easily take the win, but if NT wants to ruin their homecoming like LaTech did to us then we'll have to wait and see 😉

UTEP - Win, we had a 95% chance of beating them last year and we crawled out with a loss, but a team falling like that will always learn from mistakes

Army - Win.... no comment I want that win 

Rice - Win, it was a thrilling 2OT game last season and with a more improved NT team we can see something more thrilling but just in the 4 quarters, Rice had struggles last year and could come back but it seems like they need to focus on their own rebuilding. 

I'll predict an  8-4 season

Edited by agubriz23

33 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Very good write up. 

I think 6 wins is probable. I think 8 is doable as well with improvement at QB. If we win the games we "should", 7 wins should be very doable. But we should've beaten UTEP last year and got waxed. 

That UTEP game was the last game and their seniors played all out, while we didn't come close to matching that intensity. Hoping it's a learning moment for SL from his first year as a head coach. But those last games of seasons can be crazy. Our worst team in forever barely lost to UTEP to end the 2015 year, partly because UTEP didn't care at all and we let every spare QB play that day and it cost us a win.

• Thanks 1

It is a huge advantage for us having Lamar before SMU... Last year this team came out to hyped up and to wild at times vs SMU and made a fair share of boneheaded plays... Also, i believe Morris had 3 INTs that game with 2 of them bouncing off WRs into the defenses hands.... Doubtfully that happens with Rico/Smiley/Guyton who seem to be alot better at catching passes. 

If we can go 2-0 into Iowa that is a huge thing.. and if we are 3-1 after UAB that will be a huge lift to this team. USM will be a tough game, because they draw a nice crowd but again they should have the same QB from last year and he seemed to need alot more development than Fine. 

UTSA/ODU/FAU will be challenges but FAU is in year 1 of there the coaching staff, UTSA and ODU both went to bowl games last year and those are challenges.. If we go 2-2 from USM/UTSA/ODU/FAU that is fine with me...

LAT will be a challenge with it being there HC and they are leaders of the west. 

UTEP/Army/Rice, we need to wins... UTEP and Army are at home and we are at Rice... 

IF we can get to 6-7-8 wins this year, I think it will be HUGE for the program. I still don't think it will lead to SL running off to a P5, but I do think if we have a successful year you could see Reff get picked off. 

If fine can give us 2500 passing yards (which should be simple in this offense) and Wilson can give us 1100 yards that will be huge.. Just having an offense go from the 110+ ranking last year into the 80-90s isn't sexy in terms of production but it will do a world of good for this defense and special teams. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

IF we can get to 6-7-8 wins this year, I think it will be HUGE for the program. I still don't think it will lead to SL running off to a P5, but I do think if we have a successful year you could see Reff get picked off. 

I also don't think Littrell bolts after an 8-4 season... unless Tech finally gets tired of Bro.  That would be the only concern.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I also don't think Littrell bolts after an 8-4 season... unless Tech finally gets tired of Bro.  That would be the only concern.

I would think the same, but no idea why SL would get a P5 job over someone like Holtz at LAT...

If Tech were smart, pass on SL and go for the man who has produced top 5/10/15 offenses in the same offense at LAT (with lesser talent)

3 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I would think the same, but no idea why SL would get a P5 job over someone like Holtz at LAT...

If Tech were smart, pass on SL and go for the man who has produced top 5/10/15 offenses in the same offense at LAT (with lesser talent)

It seems to be a young man's game right now.  Look at Texas and OU and Texas Tech the list goes on.  Back in the day you saw more older guys and they wouldn't think of hiring a 32 year old.  Not saying Holtz is old,  he's 53, but in today's world he's nearing the danger zone.

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

It seems to be a young man's game right now.  Look at Texas and OU and Texas Tech the list goes on.  Back in the day you saw more older guys and they wouldn't think of hiring a 32 year old.  Not saying Holtz is old,  he's 53, but in today's world he's nearing the danger zone.

I do agree that its younger coaches game, I think Holtz would be a good fit because of the talent he has had on the defensive side of the ball. Get him a for couple of years and then bring in a young guy to be the coach in waiting and go from there.