Steve Ramsey 1967-1969 totals.. QB NCAA records.

48 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

NT had good teams in everything in those days.  Football, basketball, soccer, track, tennis, golf all did well in those days, no women's sports. 

It is hard to conceive how Rod Rust the coach of those football teams is not in the HOF and they just selected DD.   Dan Spika the basketball coach, was in my opinion easily the best ever at NT.  He also is not in the HOF.  By a quick count Rust had 9 NT hof players and the main 3 players in Spika's best team are all in the HOF.  I guess they all coached themselves.  

Rust should be ,for sure ,  not in is ridiculous....  He coached the NFL for several years starting in 1976 and one year as head coach at N.E. Patriots for one year 1990.  He  did not do well but N.E. had not very well the year before either.  His UNT teams put a lot of players in the NFL.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/1/2017 at 6:45 PM, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

Rust should be ,for sure ,  not in is ridiculous....  He coached the NFL for several years starting in 1976 and one year as head coach at N.E. Patriots for one year 1990.  He  did not do well but N.E. had not very well the year before either.  His UNT teams put a lot of players in the NFL.

Rod was a great coach no doubt and deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. His problem, being from out of state, was recruiting. He inherited the great players he had and once they departed, he was unable to recruit in Texas at even an acceptable level. If he had more local ties, he would have had a better chance at competing in the recruiting game.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kimberly Ramsey Kavanagh said:

Hi -  Thank you all for the posts! It is all so interesting to me and my family. My dad was Steve Ramsey the QB you are speaking of. My son, John Stephen, is now 8 and loves football! He is also so interested in looking up his stats etc. on the internet.

It has been really fun and interesting to see these posts and hear about my dad. I really miss him. He died in 1999.

Keep the info coming! (ie I didn't know they were suppose to play in Texas Stadium, but it wasn't finished!!!)

Thanks - Kim Ramsey Kavanagh

Kimberly, Your dad was someone I would see on campus and he would always return a nod of the head and a "hi".  His on-field athleticism was fun to watch and continues to lift my spirit. All the best to you and your family!

• Upvote 7

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:09 AM, Kimberly Ramsey Kavanagh said:

Hi -  Thank you all for the posts! It is all so interesting to me and my family. My dad was Steve Ramsey the QB you are speaking of. My son, John Stephen, is now 8 and loves football! He is also so interested in looking up his stats etc. on the internet.

It has been really fun and interesting to see these posts and hear about my dad. I really miss him. He died in 1999.

Keep the info coming! (ie I didn't know they were suppose to play in Texas Stadium, but it wasn't finished!!!)

Your dad died way too soon.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/2/2019 at 10:09 AM, Kimberly Ramsey Kavanagh said:

Kim, My time at NTSU coincided with your Dad's and it was a privilege and a thrill to watch him play.

NTSU 19690001.jpg

• Upvote 4

On 7/2/2019 at 10:24 AM, ttunt1970 said:

Remember these stats were for a ten game seasons and the predominant offense was to run the ball

Actually his stats were for 29 games. 1967 (7-1-1), 1968 (8-2), 1969 (7-3).  Three seasons. Freshmen were not allowed to play varsity ball during this era. He also did not play in any bowl games.....one of the greatest shames of all. So none of his stats included bowl games.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Actually his stats were for 29 games. 1967 (7-1-1), 1968 (8-2), 1969 (7-3).  Three seasons. Freshmen were not allowed to play varsity ball during this era. He also did not play in any bowl games.....one of the greatest shames of all. So none of his stats included bowl games.

Yes, interesting to note; that Fine has already played in 37 games or 8 more than Ramsey  had in his career. 

• Upvote 1