Updated Roster for Fall Camp

MGNation92

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ntex-m-footbl-mtt.html

Notice a few new names here. Also see Caleb Chumley at 6'5 244 lbs. If he can stay healthy that kind of size/athleticism down the seams will be hard to stop.

A lot of guys look like they got leaner/hopefully faster. Looks like we're gonna try to go the "Gary Patterson" route of small but fast as hell.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ntex-m-footbl-mtt.html

Notice a few new names here. Also see Caleb Chumley at 6'5 244 lbs. If he can stay healthy that kind of size/athleticism down the seams will be hard to stop.

A lot of guys look like they got leaner/hopefully faster. Looks like we're gonna try to go the "Gary Patterson" route of small but fast as hell.

If we ever made an assertive effort to evenly distribute the ball to Kelvin Smith and Caleb Chumley, our O would be damn near impossible to stop. 

Jeff W and Smith running the rock along with Guyton/Smiley/Bussey being our go-to possession guys paired with the 3 or 4 small quick twitch slot guys that we have. But I think our passing game starts with Smith and Chumley. Every QB ever loves long strided big targets. It's a security blanket that is easy to hit and can be put on a hot route every snap. We have to utilize them, preferably early and hopefully often. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

If we ever made an assertive effort to evenly distribute the ball to Kelvin Smith and Caleb Chumley, our O would be damn near impossible to stop. 

Jeff W and Smith running the rock along with Guyton/Smiley/Bussey being our go-to possession guys paired with the 3 or 4 small quick twitch slot guys that we have. But I think our passing game starts with Smith and Chumley. Every QB ever loves long strided big targets. It's a security blanket that is easy to hit and can be put on a hot route every snap. We have to utilize them, preferably early and hopefully often. 

That's why Thad Thompson was the leading receiver. Exact same position on the field*

Edited by Aldo
*With the exception of Smith/Chumley running out of the H-back
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If Chumley is going to be a big threat for us this year (another question mark), I hope we keep him somewhat under wraps during the Lamar game and let him throw a welcome-to-the-big-stage party on SMU's secondary.

I hope he catches 4 TD's right down the middle against Lamar.  SMU will then have to commit a Safety and 2 LB's to sit 15 - 20 yds back, giving us a 10 - 15yd  down hill run with our RB's before they hit traffic....

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I hope he catches 4 TD's right down the middle against Lamar.  SMU will then have to commit a Safety and 2 LB's to sit 15 - 20 yds back, giving us a 10 - 15yd  down hill run with our RB's before they hit traffic....

I'd rather hope he catches 4 TD's right down the middle against SMU because they're playing up against the run thinking we're the same-old UNT after watching us run it down Lamar's throats.

• Lovely Take 1

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'd rather hope he catches 4 TD's right down the middle against SMU because they're playing up against the run thinking we're the same-old UNT after watching us run it down Lamar's throats.

there is that as a go to as well.  In any case.  I hope we score often with both the run and pass

3 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Between Spring and now.. they had posted up a video and we noticed it a few weeks ago

put your best athletes on the field....

30 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

When did Connor Means move to LB?  I thought they were giving him a shot a RB???

We talked about this in a thread a little while back. . . . If you look at his body type, it fits the prototypical LB a whole lot better than RB.  And if you look where we need help, I would think it would be more at LB depth than RB depth.

• Lovely Take 1

There are 116 listed on the website.  Somewhere I saw that 104 reported and there was no mention of absences.  I don't know what happened to the 12 missing players.  Either some walk-ons dropped out, some were added late, or the number reporting is not accurate.

If I remember correctly, they can start with 120 but at the close of camp only 105 can remain on the squad.

5 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

There are 116 listed on the website.  Somewhere I saw that 104 reported and there was no mention of absences.  I don't know what happened to the 12 missing players.  Either some walk-ons dropped out, some were added late, or the number reporting is not accurate.

If I remember correctly, they can start with 120 but at the close of camp only 105 can remain on the squad.

I believe the rules limit the squad to 105 during the fall before school opens.   Others can start practice once the school year starts. 

19 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

We talked about this in a thread a little while back. . . . If you look at his body type, it fits the prototypical LB a whole lot better than RB.  And if you look where we need help, I would think it would be more at LB depth than RB depth.

Makes sense to me, although I would have liked to have seen him give the RB position a try.....at least for a practice or two. As I posted a long time ago I witnessed one of his scrambles a couple of springs ago when he was still vying for the QB job.  My response was WOW.

The guy is big and he definitely has wheels. I wish him a speedy acclimation to the new position.

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

Justin Cain(#85) has been added to the roster as a WR. He "Signed" with us out of Woodrow Wilson HS, although I'm pretty sure he's a PWO

If you haven't seen his PR for a TD from last season , check it out 

1 hour ago, ttunt1970 said:

Didn't see new guy RJ Reynolds on 

roster 

All added today 

IMG_3085.PNG

IMG_3086.PNG

IMG_3087.PNG

47 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

so that linebacker (can't recall his name) who didnt qualify academically but tweeted he was coming back did not make the roster

When was this? If you're talking about Raveon Hoston (he was from SLs first class and a DE), No i don't think he is back... but his twitter says he is a 2-2 and he has been posting workout videos and working with some guy that also works with Jenkins and Hambone

4 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

When was this? If you're talking about Raveon Hoston (he was from SLs first class and a DE), No i don't think he is back... but his twitter says he is a 2-2 and he has been posting workout videos and working with some guy that also works with Jenkins and Hambone

We're talking about Hoston again? lol. The one that got away. I don't understand how he can be 2 for 2, he started his eligibility clock in 2014 and skipped 2016. If you don't play a season can you count that as a redshirt year?