Advice for an incoming student?

llaacy

5 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I honestly wasn't aware of it until people started writing about it on this board.  I happens so fast, even when listening for it, I tend to miss it most of the time. 

That's because the only people who care are about five people on this board who shelter their kids from the horrors of cursing!

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 5

34 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Yes! That word is bad! But why?!

I agree with the spirit of what you are saying here, but at the same time, all words have an assigned meaning. The assigned meaning, strength and context of these words lend themselves to be viewed as inappropriate and generally not accepted. That is the norm of our culture and the language.

Personally, if the students want to chant profanity in unison, I won't participate, but that's not a big deal to me. Just keep it out of the Fight Song.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

It's the environment in which it's happening. Also I said in the student section. If someone was doing it on the other side I wouldn't be so confident that it's okay. Yeah we yell it, but it has a lot of room to dissipate and if we're winning or playing well (hopefully we do lots of both this season) then Apogee should be loud enough to drown out most of it anyway.

Yelling at the top of your lungs doesn't dissipate. These aren't farts.  You can hear it throughout the stadium. God forbid it's a basketball game, in an enclosed arena.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

For the most part...  The Mean Green football I've watched season in and season out since 2002 is just about the best reason I can think of for yelling the F word at the top of my lungs.   I can besmirch not a soul for doing so.   At least the way the students enjoy doing it doesn't have a certain QB or CB's name attached to it. 

Edited by Green P1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

So I happened to come across a video of the students doing this chant at the 10/31/13 game against Rice, that game of "The Stand" lore.  

This video is recorded by our very own @Christopher Walker, and comes from the middle of the student section. 

The offending moment comes at 1:25 in the video.  I suggest those with sensitivities cover their ears, for I think this is STILL resonating throughout the stadium to this very day.

Also, I thought I remember that game being way better attended than that.  Maybe because I was on the other side looking over at the students. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

As someone who makes it to every home game and sits in the middle of the student section I'm shocked at how quiet people used to be. Even in 2015 when we were garbage we were louder than that (or at least I was) and last year we were REALLY loud at times. Here's to hoping that 2017 brings even louder chants.

Sorry bud, the current student section is in no way louder than it was from 2011-2013. You know the whole "young alumni" section crap in the student section? We tore MTSU a new one so bad they complained to the conference.

You're welcome.

• Lovely Take 1

6 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

As someone who makes it to every home game and sits in the middle of the student section I'm shocked at how quiet people used to be. Even in 2015 when we were garbage we were louder than that (or at least I was) and last year we were REALLY loud at times. Here's to hoping that 2017 brings even louder chants.

Yeah, no.  

Disclaimer:  I've NEVER sat in the student section, so I'm not prone to the "In my day" rhetoric.

@Ryan Munthe is absolutely right on this one.  The first three years of Apogee, the student section was so loud and obnoxious that other schools actually filed complaints with the conference that ultimately forbade students from sitting in what is now the Eastside club chairback section. 

• Lovely Take 1

Yup. The Houston and Rice games were earbleedingly loud. Haven't really seen a crowd that vocal in a while. We need more meaningful football.

The UTSA "rivalry" exists pretty much because we pissed off UTSA so much on social media and then in the stands their players tried to fight us (lol).

57 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

So I happened to come across a video of the students doing this chant at the 10/31/13 game against Rice, that game of "The Stand" lore.  

This video is recorded by our very own @Christopher Walker, and comes from the middle of the student section. 

The offending moment comes at 1:25 in the video.  I suggest those with sensitivities cover their ears, for I think this is STILL resonating throughout the stadium to this very day.

Also, I thought I remember that game being way better attended than that.  Maybe because I was on the other side looking over at the students. 

Also, the alumni turnout was dreadful but it still to this day is the best attended student game. Over 10K.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, oldguystudent said:

It was a weeknight game.  Those are tough to get to if you work outside of Denton.  I've missed a couple of them, but I didn't miss this one, and boy howdy am I glad I didn't. 

No I agree, I'm not shitting on anyone for missing it, just as I recall, that game's environment was mostly on the backs of the students.

There have been plenty times (*cough* Ball State *cough*) where it's been opposite.

• Lovely Take 1

10 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Yup. The Houston and Rice games were earbleedingly loud. Haven't really seen a crowd that vocal in a while. We need more meaningful football.

The UTSA "rivalry" exists pretty much because we pissed off UTSA so much on social media and then in the stands their players tried to fight us (lol).

Also, the alumni turnout was dreadful but it still to this day is the best attended student game. Over 10K.

Shit not again. Look, we know your agenda against the Alumni side. Take your happy ass over there and be a part of the solution.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

This is... not how I imagined this post's response to be. Hahahaha

In all seriousness though, thank you to all who replied with advice and suggestions! I'm on twitter @largekfcbucket if you want to meet up at a tailgate or game. I appreciate the response this garnered, for real. Excited for the future at UNT. 

Edited by llaacy
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2