Advice for an incoming student?

llaacy

3 minutes ago, llaacy said:

Going to away games sounds like a blast. I'd LOVE to get to the SMU/Rice/LA Tech games... how would one student go about making that happen?

Last year Althleics were able to pay for us to go to both the Rice and UTSA game, I hope this year it'd be similar (SMU for sure probably) but I'd love to go to Louisiana... LaTech's Homecoming game is against NT this year so that'd be really exciting.

I know a few who transferred from NCTC!

• Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, agubriz23 said:

Last year Althleics were able to pay for us to go to both the Rice and UTSA game, I hope this year it'd be similar (SMU for sure probably) but I'd love to go to Louisiana... LaTech's Homecoming game is against NT this year so that'd be really exciting.

Cool! Is that the same as student pickups for home games? Just contact the ticket office or what? I have the option to go to those 3 road games I mentioned and don't want to miss them - especially SMU. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

8 minutes ago, llaacy said:

Cool! Is that the same as student pickups for home games? Just contact the ticket office or what? I have the option to go to those 3 road games I mentioned and don't want to miss them - especially SMU. 

There will be a couple booths setup around campus to pick up your discounted ticket for students for the smu game. It worked great in the past and I see no reason for them to move away from it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

10 minutes ago, llaacy said:

I have to apologize for the context, I was speaking on behalf of Talons (Not sure if you got a chance to read my comment above), but I do know that SMU tickets are around $40 which isn't too shabby for a football game, Rice is probably around the same price (maybe less), i can't say for LA Tech. 

Ben above says it well ^^^

Edited by agubriz23
  • Lovely Take 1

40 minutes ago, agubriz23 said:

Knew about the UTSA, but no idea about Rice.... They need promote this stuff better on campus...

The UTSA thing, they did Thursday afternoon/evening and left Saturday morning.. 

18 minutes ago, llaacy said:

Stubhub has front row seats in the south end zone @ SMU for $20 each. Front row. Beautiful. I'll have a place to hang my UNT flag. 

buy through the AD Office, UNT gets more $ that way 

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Knew about the UTSA, but no idea about Rice.... They need promote this stuff better on campus...

The UTSA thing, they did Thursday afternoon/evening and left Saturday morning.. 

buy through the AD Office, UNT gets more $ that way 

Like i stated this was as a Talon, they were able to send us to Houston and San Antonio with Cheer/ Dance and the Green Brigade 

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I think many miss the point. Is profanity and rowdiness expected in the student section?  Sure. If not there, be aware of the people around you. Your actions are a direct reflection on you. 

I think the big issue is many people think adding profanity to our Fight Song is disrespectful to our university. 

Yep. I don't hear people dropping f-bombs during the national anthem.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

The best place to get beer on a student budget is the giant wall o' cheap libations at Sack N Save. 

Sack N Save is no more, dude! I will always fondly remember trying to not get stabbed while buying groceries and the lovely smell of cat pee when you walked in the door. I can't believe she's gone.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, llaacy said:

How's it going, everyone? I'm an incoming transfer student at UNT and looking to get the most out of my two years here, especially within the athletics. Just curious if any of you have any advice on events to attend/sports traditions to be in tune with. I'm excited for the future of UNT football and doing everything I can to get as many students out to the games as possible.

Drink a lot of beer and be loud! Also, start with not listening to the negativity. A lot of the hard core fans here have been waiting for the program to turn the corner for ages. I'm one of them too. But things are looking up for the first time in a long time.

• Upvote 1

We can't even welcome someone in agreement. Holy shite.

Welcome to our dysfunctional little family. Austin's idea of cheering is swearing uncreatively at the other team all game spiced in with a little middle finger action. These old folks hate the ""mother f'n eagles" portion but it isn't going anywhere. Anyone sub-30 does it on the student side of the field. Everyone here means well, and all think we're smarter than we are. We all know it all but can't predict a season or a players success to save our lives.

The real tradition this group has is to show up on Saturdays anyway. We show up in the heat, rain or snow. We're there in up seasons and down. Regardless of all of the know-it-all opinions and the guaranteed heartbreak, we show up because we love our school and our team. Almost everyone is an addict but everyone is nicer in real life. No one is quite so tough when out from behind the keyboard. We're die-hards and I'm glad i'm not the only bastard dumb enough to be one.

Welcome aboard.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I miss the days of going to baseball games in Candlestick Park in the 70s and early 80s when people BYOB'd two liter bottles of cheap scotch and smoked joints under the bleachers before heading to the communal trough urinals in the men's room.  I saw and heard a lot of "educational" things in those days. 

It was about 1987 that they introduced the family section in the outfield, completely sequestered from the rest of the stadium, no alcohol for sale. 

I don't mind that I grew up in a less sheltered world.  

5 hours ago, Rudy said:

Ahhh yes, the classic anyone who doesn't like cussing during the fight song is old. Here's a hint, iits not the cussing, it's just not the place.

Nah, I just think it's a classic grumpy "get off my lawn" complaint.

You can whine all you want about it, but that's not going to stop it from happening.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6