Advice for an incoming student?

llaacy

1 hour ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Nah, I just think it's a classic grumpy "get off my lawn" complaint.

You can whine all you want about it, but that's not going to stop it from happening.

Nah, it is about being respectful towards our university.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Nah, it is about being respectful towards our university.

And really just being respectful in general.

Unfortunately, one thing is true.  It's not going to stop

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

Just curious for those, if you care to identify yourself, that down voted my post above and NT93's response.  What do you disagree with?  Do you find adding mofo'ing to our fight song respectful?  I would love to hear an opposing viewpoint on this.

• Downvote 5

26 minutes ago, Rudy said:

They just think it's cool to cuss now that they aren't around mommy and daddy all the time  they haven't learned that there is a time and place for cussing.

Cussing is a dumb social construct.

Who decided what word was vulgar and what isn't? It's pretty dumb.

All of those words are in my vocabulary, guess I'm trashy or disrespectful or something. 😯

Took too many linguistics and theory classes.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Cussing is a dumb social construct.

Who decided what word was vulgar and what isn't? It's pretty dumb.

All of those words are in my vocabulary, guess I'm trashy or disrespectful or something. 😯

Took too many linguistics and theory classes.

Maybe its dumb, but it's still a social construct.

I think Rudy has been pretty clear about it and I happen to agree, there is a time and place for it.  I may cuss to my buddy sitting beside me, but I'm not going to yell out for everyone in the stands to have to hear me.  I don't think having the words in your vocabulary makes you trashy or disrespectful, but rather not having a filter for when/when not to use them. 

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Maybe its dumb, but it's still a social construct.

I think Rudy has been pretty clear about it and I happen to agree, there is a time and place for it.  I may cuss to my buddy sitting beside me, but I'm not going to yell out for everyone in the stands to have to hear me.  I don't think having the words in your vocabulary makes you trashy or disrespectful, but rather not having a filter for when/when not to use them. 

I don't see the point in a filter.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, AustinFromUNT said:

I think it comes down to whether or not you think the situation is an appropriate place to swear. Obviously an elementary school is an improper place for vulgar language. In my opinion though, I believe that the student section of a college football game is an appropriate place for swearing.

Oh, I agree. I'm just trolling now

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

I don't think their parents would take too kindly, nor any administration.

So you do have a filter.

1 minute ago, AustinFromUNT said:

I think it comes down to whether or not you think the situation is an appropriate place to swear. Obviously an elementary school is an improper place for vulgar language. In my opinion though, I believe that the student section of a college football game is an appropriate place for swearing.

Agreed.  And I don't disagree that it's an appropriate place for swearing...to a point.  I just think yelling out those swear words for all to hear is inappropriate.  

• Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Still missing my point. Yelling something in the context of a game, while something I choose not to do, is different t than adding it to our fight song. Why not add it to the National Anthem?  Still no rationale about yelling it during our Fight Song. Just a silly justification by @Ryan Munthe because he sees nothing wrong with language most find objectionable.  Either way, I think the majority find it ridiculous. 

29 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

So you do have a filter. So, why would you choose to use that filter in a setting where parents may find that language in poor taste, but ignore it in a setting where many feel the same way?  I understand you are in the student section but when thousands of students yell it in unison facing an area where there are many parents with children, you are now affecting those people similar to those parents in the elementary school referenced earlier. 

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

2 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

So, cussing in front of kids in an elementary school is inappropriate, but yelling f bombs at the top of your lungs at a sporting event, WHERE CHILDREN ARE PRESENT with their families, is appropriate?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Rudy said:

So, cussing in front of kids in an elementary school is inappropriate, but yelling f bombs at the top of your lungs at a sporting event, WHERE CHILDREN ARE PRESENT with their families, is appropriate?

It's the environment in which it's happening. Also I said in the student section. If someone was doing it on the other side I wouldn't be so confident that it's okay. Yeah we yell it, but it has a lot of room to dissipate and if we're winning or playing well (hopefully we do lots of both this season) then Apogee should be loud enough to drown out most of it anyway.

• Downvote 1

I recall this same argument when debating whether or not they should sell beer at Apogee -- that there were children there who would see it.  I remember thinking that by that logic, nobody should ever take children to professional sporting events, most restaurants, or many movie theaters.

I respect a parent's right to raise their children as they see fit, but I think it is a pretty broad stroke for those who would dictate the behavior of others in public in the interest of sheltering their children.  At least to the point where said behavior is otherwise legal. 

Reading this thread brings me the following question:

Given -- it is inappropriate for children to hear swearing/cussing/cursing

Given -- there is an appropriate place to engage in swearing/cussing/cursing

Therefore -- there is an appropriate age for people to become exposed to/begin engaging in swearing/cussing/cursing

Question:  What is that appropriate age? 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Rudy said:

My parents cursed around me and I didn't explode when those words found their way into my ears.

Just now, TIgreen01 said:

From where I sit in 208, I've honestly never heard the 'mofoing'.  Where are people sitting that do hear it (outside of the student side)?

I honestly wasn't aware of it until people started writing about it on this board.  I happens so fast, even when listening for it, I tend to miss it most of the time. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I recall this same argument when debating whether or not they should sell beer at Apogee -- that there were children there who would see it.  I remember thinking that by that logic, nobody should ever take children to professional sporting events, most restaurants, or many movie theaters.

I respect a parent's right to raise their children as they see fit, but I think it is a pretty broad stroke for those who would dictate the behavior of others in public in the interest of sheltering their children.  At least to the point where said behavior is otherwise legal. 

Reading this thread brings me the following question:

Given -- it is inappropriate for children to hear swearing/cussing/cursing

Given -- there is an appropriate place to engage in swearing/cussing/cursing

Therefore -- there is an appropriate age for people to become exposed to/begin engaging in swearing/cussing/cursing

Question:  What is that appropriate age? 

Thank you for a well thought out response.  As stated earlier, I do not think it is inappropriate at a sporting event as long as it isn't yelled at the top of  one's lungs.  I also believe that people should be considerate of those around them; kid's, women, older folks, etc...  My one issue in all of this, whether heard by others or not, is that in my humble opinion, it is disrespectful towards North Texas.  As mentioned earlier, would you add the words to the National Anthem?  Hopefully not.  I hold our Fight Song and Alma Mater to the same respect.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

I, for one, am appalled that there isn't more cussing at the games. 

What is this? A football game? Or Church?

Y'all should be ashamed of yourselves.

There is as much cussing as there is standing and cheering on the alumni side of the stadium.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1