Advice for an incoming student?

llaacy

4 hours ago, llaacy said:

How's it going, everyone? I'm an incoming transfer student at UNT and looking to get the most out of my two years here, especially within the athletics. Just curious if any of you have any advice on events to attend/sports traditions to be in tune with. I'm excited for the future of UNT football and doing everything I can to get as many students out to the games as possible.

Hey there. My name is Austin and I'm one of the loudest people you'll ever meet at the games. When you come sit in the student section side and come to the 50 years line 2 rows behind the green chairs. That's where I have sat the last 2 years for every home game. I can teach you all of the traditions and the modified version of the fight song to make it student section approved. Welcome #GMG

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Hey there. My name is Austin and I'm one of the loudest people you'll ever meet at the games. When you come sit in the student section side and come to the 50 years line 2 rows behind the green chairs. That's where I have sat the last 2 years for every home game. I can teach you all of the traditions and the modified version of the fight song to make it student section approved. Welcome #GMG

If that "modified" version of the fight song includes the m'fing Eagles, just don't.

• Upvote 8
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 5

5 hours ago, llaacy said:

How's it going, everyone? I'm an incoming transfer student at UNT and looking to get the most out of my two years here, especially within the athletics. Just curious if any of you have any advice on events to attend/sports traditions to be in tune with. I'm excited for the future of UNT football and doing everything I can to get as many students out to the games as possible.

Be loud when our defense is on the field. Be way less loud when our offense is on the field. 

Attend the games as much as possible with as many ppl as possible. 

Learn the fight song and Glory to the Green. 

Don't wear unaffiliated apparel to class and call people out who do. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I still do the M'fing eagles chant because it's fun. Lots of other "big time" schools' student sections say/do a hell of a lot worse. Y'all need to get over it. It's a student section thing and if you don't like it, don't sit over there.

Agreed. 

But our mayonnaise fan base gets upset when they hear those bitter, dark cuss words at football or basketball games. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 10

5 hours ago, llaacy said:

Get there early for tailgates and roam

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

What's college football without a few swears amirite. Plus pretty much everyone in the student section does it so why be the oddball out. 

24 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I still do the M'fing eagles chant because it's fun. Lots of other "big time" schools' student sections say/do a hell of a lot worse. Y'all need to get over it. It's a student section thing and if you don't like it, don't sit over there.

The bane of it is, you're yelling it directly at the people who are sitting across the stadium from you.

Just be above it y'all.   You're better than that.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

I transferred to NT from Univ of Texas a long time ago. Never enjoyed UT and decided to dig in deep when I got to North Texas. Not sure where you came from but it sounds like you won't have any problem being engaged because you WANT to be engaged. This may sound like a put down of the school, but it is not a reach to say you have a chance to be a big fish in a small pond here. The student section, with a few exceptions, does its part at the games. Be involved, stay involved after you graduate. The alumni/local side needs it.

I looked for opportunities to get on the field, go to away games and be an "exceptional" fan. Loyal, loud, proud. Get there early, stay late win or lose. Talk about your university like you are an Aggie.  Talk up the place. It increases the value of your degree.

Get some kettle corn, and a second bag for the road (unpaid promotion). 

Basketball will be better now...you have a chance to be heard in that venue. Yell. The Olympic sports are fun. See at least one soccer, volleyball, women's hoops and softball game each year, more of all preferred. Run in the The 2017 North Texas Cross Country 5k (Community Race) on September 16. Register by August 31 to guarantee your shirt. Get there by 8:30 to see the Men's 4-mile and Women's 5k.  

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/c-xc/spec-rel/home-meet-info.html

Down the corridor of years, we'll drink lots and lots of beers.

GMG

Edited by untcampbell
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

58 minutes ago, untcampbell said:

I transferred to NT from Univ of Texas a long time ago. Never enjoyed UT and decided to dig in deep when I got to North Texas. Not sure where you came from but it sounds like you won't have any problem being engaged because you WANT to be engaged. This may sound like a put down of the school, but it is not a reach to say you have a chance to be a big fish in a small pond here. The student section, with a few exceptions, does its part at the games. Be involved, stay involved after you graduate. The alumni/local side needs it.

I looked for opportunities to get on the field, go to away games and be an "exceptional" fan. Loyal, loud, proud. Get there early, stay late win or lose. Talk about your university like you are an Aggie.  Talk up the place. It increases the value of your degree.

Basketball will be better now...you have a chance to be heard in that venue. Yell. The Olympic sports are fun. See at least one soccer, volleyball, women's hoops and softball game each year, more of all preferred. Run in the The 2017 North Texas Cross Country 5k (Community Race) on September 16. Register by August 31 to guarantee your shirt. Get there by 8:30 to see the Men's 4-mile and Women's 5k.  

GMG

To add to my post...Every single thing he said too! 

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Agreed. 

But our mayonnaise fan base gets upset when they hear those bitter, dark cuss words at football or basketball games. 

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Yes, nothing needed for a sporting event like a lot of juvenile profanity.  It is not witty and if anything only fires up the opposition.  

• Lovely Take 2

Hey! I'm Agustin and I'm a member of Talons! Talons is the official Spirit, Service and Tradition Org on campus, and if you're looking into diving and wanting to embrace tradition, then I encourage you to join! We're responsible for:

- Boomer the Cannon (our touchdown ringer)

- Spirit Bell (The actual ringer, you can find her grandma in the Union!)

- The Mean Green Machine (a green and white decked out 1931 Ford Model A, my favorite because I'm Co-Head of the committee)

- Homecoming Bonfire (We build and light it the week of homecoming!)

- Lighting The Tower! (I think it's cool how Athletics is using this as their phrase for the year, but we do light the tower the night of a victory) 

Like I said, I encourage you if you have interests! It's a great organization, there's a lot of Talons Alumni on this forum and they can have a say for themselves. I've met a lot of people and they've become like a family, and I'm barely entering my second year! 

Finally, Welcome to UNT! Whether or not you join I hope you have a great time and I know memories will be made! 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, GrandGreen said:

Yes, nothing needed for a sporting event like a lot of juvenile profanity.  It is not witty and if anything only fires up the opposition.  

Ahhh so profanity fires up the opposition...

That's why we have been so bad in years past, we didn't talk nice enough about this team

• Downvote 1

I think many miss the point. Is profanity and rowdiness expected in the student section?  Sure. If not there, be aware of the people around you. Your actions are a direct reflection on you. 

I think the big issue is many people think adding profanity to our Fight Song is disrespectful to our university. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, llaacy said:

to support this team, alcohol may/should be included often

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, llaacy said:

Have fun, enjoy the event to the extreme.   The more you watch any team, the more invested you are and the more meaningful the event.  My advise is go watch all the different teams at least once.   Football is a must, but pick out your other favorites to support.  Also make sure that you hit an away game or two, a different but fun experience.  Don't miss the SMU football game. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, llaacy said:

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, untcampbell said:

GMG

Going to away games sounds like a blast. I'd LOVE to get to the SMU/Rice/LA Tech games... how would one student go about making that happen?

Also, for those who've asked I'm transferring from NCTC in Corinth. Went to Texas A&M-Commerce for a year, have lived in Flower Mound my whole life.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1