2017 Hall of Fame class announced

VideoEagle

Only at NT would a terminated coach with a 42-64 record be included in the HOF.   He had a great run in the Belt, but I don't know how any committee could overlook the things he said and the way he left the program.  

I like the other inductees, White was definitely a gamer, and the other deserve the recognition.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

48 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Only at NT would a terminated coach with a 42-64 record be included in the HOF.   He had a great run in the Belt, but I don't know how any committee could overlook the things he said and the way he left the program.  

I like the other inductees, White was definitely a gamer, and the other deserve the recognition.  

34-22 conference record*

4 straight bowl appearances

How many rushing champions?

How many HOF players?

Edited by Aldo
*29-11 Sun Belt record
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I couldn't agree more. It's really hard following this program

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

6 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

1 hour ago, Cooley said:

I couldn't agree more. It's really hard following this program

If they put Andrew Smith in, Dickey   is a no-brainer. I blame Hank for this.

7 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I agree on Dickey. He already has his name on practice fields that is due to being held hostage for a donation by a very disgruntled fan. He had three winning seasons in 9 tries. His personality was less charming than the Fouts piss wall. 42-64...I just don't think he should have a Hall of Fame entry and have the practice fields named after him. If for nothing else, maybe this will allow us to offer the naming rights up for bid again or name it after someone who actually won here, like, oh, I don't know, maybe somebody like Hayden Fry...before he dies, it might be nice to honor the best coach we ever had.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, GreenMachine said:

Denton Guyer could have run rampant through the Sun Belt at the time. Weakest conference ever.

And yet only one team did.

I am constantly amused by the posts of "Brandon Kennedy was a beast" or "Jamario was amazing to watch" or "Scott Hall was a gamer" in one thread...and then the same people quickly turn to "the Sun Belt was the worst league ever" when talking about Dickey.  

Which was it?  Were these players amazing, or were they the recipients of playing the Denton High JV every week?  Can't have it both ways.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, GreenMachine said:

Denton Guyer could have run rampant through the Sun Belt at the time. Weakest conference ever.

I have always taken exception to the above opinion although I don't think Dickey should ever even been considered for the HOF.  That winning streak was great and I don't care what conference it was in.  I still wonder how that one class was put together that really was responsible for winning those four conference championships.  The Belt was the weakest conference, but there are not many teams that have ever dominated a league like that.  

The facts are that DD killed his own success with lazy recruiting and constant complaining about his situation at NT.  Many defend him because he was right about many things he said about NT and it is now in retrospect recognized how weak RV was as an AD.  The paradox is that DD comments about NT really did not apply to the early Belt where he found his only success.  NT was among the most established programs and had about the highest budget throughout that 4 season run.  

I am very disappointed with this selection to the HOF.   The HOF has always been suspect with many selected who really were not that outstanding and others left out or delayed for decades after they should have been included.  Now they have selected a coach with a questionable record that figuratively if not actually gave the finger to the University.   Explain for example why DD was selected above Rod Rust, a better coach with a much better overall record.   Most importantly Rust was a fine representative of the University, while Dickey was the direct opposite.   

I have followed and supported the NT program for a lot of very lean years, and will continue.  However, I can't remember anything other than the move to 1AA that has annoyed me as much as this selection to the HOF.  Who makes these decisions, are they trying to destroy any credibility this award has?

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

And yet only one team did.

I am constantly amused by the posts of "Brandon Kennedy was a beast" or "Jamario was amazing to watch" or "Scott Hall was a gamer" in one thread...and then the same people quickly turn to "the Sun Belt was the worst league ever" when talking about Dickey.  

Which was it?  Were these players amazing, or were they the recipients of playing the Denton High JV every week?  Can't have it both ways.

Yes, you can have it both ways. Jamario was fun to watch in the weakest league ever. Scott Hall was a gamer in the weakest league ever. Brandon Kennedy was a beast in the weakest league ever. Not a hard concept to grasp.

• Downvote 5

23 minutes ago, GreenMachine said:

Yes, you can have it both ways. Jamario was fun to watch in the weakest league ever. Scott Hall was a gamer in the weakest league ever. Brandon Kennedy was a beast in the weakest league ever. Not a hard concept to grasp.

yes, but your disclaimers are not used when talking about Jamario, Cobbs, Kennedy, Hall, Andrew Smith, Buckels, etc....It's ONLY used when talking about Dickey.   

Just now, GreenN'walinsVet said:

yes, but your disclaimers are not used when talking about Jamario, Cobbs, Kennedy, Hall, Andrew Smith, Buckels, etc....It's ONLY used when talking about Dickey.   

Not sure whose disclaimers you are talking about. I have never claimed any of the 3 mentioned players were great or not.  Only claimed it was my opinion that Dickey only won because we were in such a weak conference, nothing more and nothing less.

• Upvote 1