DRC: Wylie high school coach talks about Jordan Hunt

Brett Vito

4 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

At least one other in conference recruiting win over UTEP according to coach. Even better.

I would expect UNT to win 100% of the recruiting battles against UTEP for any player this side of Midland.   It's almost like recruiting against FCS.

Poor UTEP.  They're reduced to mainly Far-West Texas players no one else wants and New Mexico kids that UNM doesn't want.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

A steal? That would mean we plucked him away from a perceived superior program. Js. 

No.   He's saying Hunt is 'under-the-radar' or 'a diamond-in-the-rough', and UNT is the lucky one to find him.   We took him when no one else was watching (except UTEP.  UTEP is always watching)... we stole him!

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

No.   He's saying Hunt is 'under-the-radar' or 'a diamond-in-the-rough', and UNT is the lucky one to find him.   We took him when no one else was watching (except UTEP.  UTEP is always watching)... we stole him!

I see. 

But I always hear coaches say, "North Texas got a steal." If you read between the lines, it's borderline disrespectful. Would they say that about Tech, Tulsa, UH, etc.? Maybe I'm just reading it wrong. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

3 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I see. 

But I always hear coaches say, "North Texas got a steal." If you read between the lines, it's borderline disrespectful. Would they say that about Tech, Tulsa, UH, etc.? Maybe I'm just reading it wrong. 

Tulsa, probably because they get guys like this too.  UH, maybe, but they're often in on guys with multiple offers including multiple P5 offers.  

Tech is P5, so no.  They're expected to get guys that aren't "steals".

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Tulsa, probably because they get guys like this too.  UH, maybe, but they're often in on guys with multiple offers including multiple P5 offers.  

Tech is P5, so no.  They're expected to get guys that aren't "steals".

I was talking about La Tech. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, GMoney said:

Amen! Hate hearing we "got a steal", because we are not worthy like other "big" schools. Maybe he got a steal because we want him at a great school with a growing program and fan base.

5 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I see. 

I have the same thing about a kid.  Regardless of school.  So much goes into recruiting that sometimes kids are looked right past because they don't fit some stupid frame coaches have in mind.  Coach we like him he said just a little to short, not long enough arms, blah blah blah.  The kid can play and coaches won't take him back to their HC bc they know they're looking for a specific type of kid.  Case in point, (yes I know he has 3 other offers) but Manase Mose if he was 6'3 he'd have 40 offers.  But because he's 6'" all the big schools were scared away because of his reach and height.  Stupid!! You got an OL where it's all about leverage I wouldn't take an OL over 6'4/ 6'5" I want them to get underneath DL and LB who most are no bigger than 6'3/6'4".  I think we absolutely got a steal with This kid and several others.  There isn't a recruit I haven't watched and not liked.  Would I like them to have more offers absolutely, but if the tapes there and the kid can play I'm good with it. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

23 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I have the same thing about a kid.  Regardless of school.  So much goes into recruiting that sometimes kids are looked right past because they don't fit some stupid frame coaches have in mind.  Coach we like him he said just a little to short, not long mouth arms, blah blah blah.  The kid can play and coaches won't take him back to their HC bc they know they're looking for a specific type of kid.  Case in point, (yes I know he has 3 other offers) but Manase Mose if he was 6'3 he'd have 40 offers.  But because he's 6'" all the big schools were scared away because of his reach and height.  Stupid!! You got an OL where it's all about leverage I wouldn't take an OL over 6'4/ 6'5" I want them to get underneath DL and LB who most are no bigger than 6'3/6'4".  I think we absolutely got a steal with This kid and several others.  There isn't a recruit I haven't watched and not liked.  Would I like them to have more offers absolutely, but if the tapes there and the kid can play I'm good with it. 

The tape is there and the kids can play, great. But with 0 doubt in my mind, the tape is better and kids can play better who have more offers and better ratings. 

But I know you're a coach and maybe this might be coach speak. But it still sounds very tongue in cheek when I hear it about North Texas on a regular basis. It may be said about more prominent programs, but I promise you it's meant in the context you were describing. The context I hear when it's said about UNT, it's as if it's an indirect backhand at the University and athletic program. But it doesn't really matter, I was just pointing it out..right or wrong. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

7 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I would expect UNT to win 100% of the recruiting battles against UTEP for any player this side of Midland.   It's almost like recruiting against FCS.

Poor UTEP.  They're reduced to mainly Far-West Texas players no one else wants and New Mexico kids that UNM doesn't want.

I don't think I've ever seen us lose a recruiting battle to UTEP since I started following UNT recruiting back in 2012. Temporarily we did with Demikal Harrison in 2015 but he flipped to us shortly after. It really is much like recruiting against an FCS.

But poor UTEP has beaten us three straight times and out scored us by a combined 49 points.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

The tape is there and the kids can play, great. But with 0 doubt in my mind, the tape is better and kids can play better who have more offers and better ratings. 

But I know you're a coach and maybe this might be coach speak. But it still sounds very tongue in cheek when I hear it about North Texas on a regular basis. It may be said about more prominent programs, but I promise you it's meant in the context you were describing. The context I hear when it's said about UNT, it's as if it's an indirect backhand at the University and athletic program. But it doesn't really matter, I was just pointing it out..right or wrong. 

It's funny because a lot of local coaches want UNT to be good and to get their kids.  DFW is the most picked over area in the USA.  Coaches can fly in for a week and see 80-100 schools and hundreds of prospects.  You can get pretty lazy and still find guys.  Take the same kid move him to east Tx and he may get 2-3 offers compared to 10-12 or more in DFW.  Again, I'd love to add kids with more offers as would everyone, but sometimes you offer kid X who has received non stop skills training etc in DFW and he has 5 offers. Take the same kid move him out to Tim buck two, not many trainers he flys under the radar for whatever reason, you sign him, then after he's developed he ends up being a higher ceiling player because he hasn't received all the private instruction.  

Yes i know in today's day and age that's more rare than not, but these guys found some absolute ballers late last year, so if they think a kid can play I'm giving the, benefit of the doubt.  Yes I know it's less likely to work than "for sure multiple offer guys" but I'm willing to let them do their thing.  They got me excited about UNT football again, after Dan ran us so far into the ground we still haven't dug ourselves out. 

• Upvote 6