Mean Green Mania - Aug 2

brooks91

21 minutes ago, LETitFLYguy said:

I think you are missing the point of people had to work during the majority of the duration of the event. Glad tens of people made it. Congrats on the Chad Rose name drop........Big time.

Here's another example. I live in Addison and work in Irving. There's no way in hell your normal working person that doesn't work within a 15 minute radius of Apogee is gonna make it to this.

I mean, seriously? What is our fanbase in DFW? Like 300k? You want people to show up? Stop holding events in the middle of the week during 8-5 working hours. It's like they don't give a damn that it's the same 15 people that show up every time.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

Here's another example. I live in Addison and work in Irving. There's no way in hell your normal working person that doesn't work within a 15 minute radius of Apogee is gonna make it to this.

I mean, seriously? What is our fanbase in DFW? Like 300k? You want people to show up? Stop holding events in the middle of the week during 8-5 working hours. It's like they don't give a damn that it's the same 15 people that show up every time.

With the Mean Green Mania day, it was much easier to make it during part of the day. This however makes absolutely no sense. Maybe they are working around their schedules?

• Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

I would love to go to these things if they weren't on weekdays.

So would I. Pretty sure my boss would fire me if I said "Hey I'm taking a 3 hour lunch today see you at 2!" Without a legitimate reason

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GreenMachine said:

Because my career is much more important. Plus, some people are extremely busy between deadlines and seemingly constant meetings every day.

Sucks for you then, but again if you can't make it email WB and tell him and everyone else who would like to see a change.. 

Crying on GMG.com isn't going to help... make a thread, and multiple people get together and work on ideas and send it to him. WB is very open to trying new things to get more people involved.. I've talked to the man multiple times in the office and via email.

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

So would I. Pretty sure my boss would fire me if I said "Hey I'm taking a 3 hour lunch today see you at 2!" Without a legitimate reason

You're in the wrong career if you gotta bring a doctors note with you to work...

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 5

32 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Sucks for you then, but again if you can't make it email WB and tell him and everyone else who would like to see a change.. 

Crying on GMG.com isn't going to help... make a thread, and multiple people get together and work on ideas and send it to him. WB is very open to trying new things to get more people involved.. I've talked to the man multiple times in the office and via email.

You're in the wrong career if you gotta bring a doctors note with you to work...

I stated noon on a work week was a bad time and I am crying about it? I hope you are in the theater because you would make a great drama queen. Also, sucks to have a fulfilling, challenging, and busy career? Thanks but wouldn't have it any other way. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GreenMachine said:

I stated noon on a work week was a bad time and I am crying about it? I hope you are in the theater because you would make a great drama queen. Also, sucks to have a fulfilling, challenging, and busy career? Thanks but wouldn't have it any other way. 

Sucks that you complain about not being able to attend and you could do something about it (i.e. Half-day, work later, etc) but yet you blast the AD office when you have no idea the reasoning for the time... apparently you would have it another way if it meant you could attend these events.. 

I said crying because coming on here, and complaining isn't going to do a damn thing to change it.. again email WB and tell him, hell get multiple other people in this thread that are upset about it as well to email him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Good gravy (see how I filtered what I actually wanted to say right there?)

Every single one of us has our own individual way of contributing, participating, attending, and otherwise consuming the product that is North Texas athletics.  
Every single one of us has our own individual level of priority we place on all of this. 

Ten years now for me.  For ten years, I have consistently watched people put each other down for not contributing enough, participating in the right events, attending road games in Guam, or cheering/standing/wearing/tailgating/whatthehellevering wrong during games.  

There is no right or wrong way.  Your way is your way, my way is my way. 

As for the following statement from @forevereagle:

If you go to some of these events and talk with them, they do tend to share some information, just not for public consumption (kind of understood in the conversation). I have never had them ask me what my donation level is before talking to me and being candid about some of these kinds of things.

I'm just going to say that my level of contribution has explicitly been brought up to my face by somebody very high up the present administrative ladder.  It was not a negative experience, but the implication was that were I any lower than I am, that I would've been sorely disappointed.  It was only on one occasion, but it implies to me that if we thought the class warfare of the fanbase was ended with the departure of the last administration, we may not have seen nothin' yet. 

In conclusion, to some of the more critical, finger pointing fans, it's tiresome, it's unattractive, and it's offputting.  This doesn't increase fanbase and most certainly does not increase donation coffers or put butts in seats.  Sometimes personal perspectives are better left unsaid.   

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Sucks that you complain about not being able to attend and you could do something about it (i.e. Half-day, work later, etc) but yet you blast the AD office when you have no idea the reasoning for the time... apparently you would have it another way if it meant you could attend these events.. 

I said crying because coming on here, and complaining isn't going to do a damn thing to change it.. again email WB and tell him, hell get multiple other people in this thread that are upset about it as well to email him. 

Crying and complaining? I made a statement that noon isn't a good time. Now you are just being a dick.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

43 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Good gravy (see how I filtered what I actually wanted to say right there?)

Every single one of us has our own individual way of contributing, participating, attending, and otherwise consuming the product that is North Texas athletics.  
Every single one of us has our own individual level of priority we place on all of this. 

Ten years now for me.  For ten years, I have consistently watched people put each other down for not contributing enough, participating in the right events, attending road games in Guam, or cheering/standing/wearing/tailgating/whatthehellevering wrong during games.  

There is no right or wrong way.  Your way is your way, my way is my way. 

As for the following statement from @forevereagle:

I'm just going to say that my level of contribution has explicitly been brought up to my face by somebody very high up the present administrative ladder.  It was not a negative experience, but the implication was that were I any lower than I am, that I would've been sorely disappointed.  It was only on one occasion, but it implies to me that if we thought the class warfare of the fanbase was ended with the departure of the last administration, we may not have seen nothin' yet. 

In conclusion, to some of the more critical, finger pointing fans, it's tiresome, it's unattractive, and it's offputting.  This doesn't increase fanbase and most certainly does not increase donation coffers or put butts in seats.  Sometimes personal perspectives are better left unsaid.   

*Standing Ovation*

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Don't get it... If things like this are so important then why not take a half day or take a long lunch???? 

Aren't you a current student?  Maybe the people already in the middle of their careers know how much taking a long lunch off in the middle of the day would affect their workplace?  

17 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

You're point is true, but I will correct to quickly point out that there is NO way we have 300k fans in DFW--maybe 300k alumni/students there, but no more than 2% give a damn about this stuff. Otherwise, we would sell out Apogee every once in a while or we would have had 60k or more at the Cotton Bowl for our HoD Bowls.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

You're point is true, but I will correct to quickly point out that there is NO way we have 300k fans in DFW--maybe 300k alumni/students there, but no more than 2% give a damn about this stuff. Otherwise, we would sell out Apogee every once in a while or we would have had 60k or more at the Cotton Bowl for our HoD Bowls.

Heck, many of those 300k Alumni openly root for a different school... even if that school lined up against their Alma Mater.

• Upvote 2

Hey, it's OK...do what you can when you can and what you want to do.  Make it, don't make it...make it a priority and go or not...all A-OK.  Everybody has commitments and everybody couldn't go even if it were on a Saturday...kids, other commitments, etc.  Plus...there never is a perfect time or day for any event.  Is what it is...do what you can and want to do.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Aren't you a current student?  Maybe the people already in the middle of their careers know how much taking a long lunch off in the middle of the day would affect their workplace?  

You can't have a career and be a student at the same time? 

Also, the only reason that I'm still a "student" is because of department and UNTs way of sucking out more $ from students with adding on an additional semester of "Internship Credit/Classes" but yet we never turn in any work or anything besides a review from the boss... I got my career on top of working another 20-25 hours with the AD Office...

The point that was being made that has been lost here is that, Yes everyone has a career or things going on in there life (I never once doubted that)... The problem isn't that its just during the day, they are giving people the notice 3-WEEKS in advance for them to plan.. The problem is that we have a giant alumni base who do not give a damn about UNT sports, and yes it sucks that they are missing out on people that do care but again they are giving you 3-WEEKS to plan!

We all should understand that but coming on here and saying you want it changed will never change a damn thing... If you wanna go, you can find a way to go.. If you wanna see things change then say something. I have no idea if WB or anyone in the AD office looks on here or if anyone even knows about it website, so us bashing the AD office on here will do nothing...

6 hours ago, GreenMachine said:

Crying and complaining? I made a statement that noon isn't a good time. Now you are just being a dick.

Noon isn't a good time for you, but doing it at 5-6-7 isn't good for someone else.. You can call me whatever, not going to hurt my feelings... 

Its crying and complaining because it will not change a thing with it being posted on here, and it does not help solve the problem that you have and others have.. contact someone... Mosley, WB, hell the call the phone number on the tweet and say you and others would attend but can't because its in the middle of the day instead of after work..  

Again, start a thread or something and get multiple peoples input and send the ideas to the AD Office... Heck, send the thread link to them as evidence of people saying they would come... The worst thing they can say is no

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Heck, many of those 300k Alumni openly root for a different school... even if that school lined up against their Alma Mater.

Look at UNT90. Even those that follow the program and invest in it usually find themselves eventually growing so tired of the losing and apathy that they give up and find another P5 team to follow and adopt as their own. And when they tell people that they follow their new team even though they graduated from UNT, the people around don't give them grief for it, but rather just acknowledge that as pretty normal.

Its what happens when you play revenue sports and make the first priority be to bring in known money instead of trying to win and bring in unknown funds.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

on top of working another 20-25 hours with the AD Office...

That explains a lot.  Mandy? 

Before responding, peruse pages 8 and 9 here and choose words carefully.  It is not productive for anybody when employees of the AD come lashing out at their own customer base after decades of neglect, disregard, and outward loathing. 

Edited by oldguystudent

I live half way across the state, so I wouldn't be able to attend one way or the other.  The point that I think is trying to be made here is that when building something new, unfortunately after 100 years it seems we are at that point, you have to meet your fanbase when they are able to meet you.  Hopefully, down the road when Apogee sellouts are the norm and there is a waiting list for season tickets, they can schedule whenever and probably fill up each event.  Now, there has to be some catering to the dedicated fans in an effort to build.  Hope that makes sense.

• Upvote 1

On 8/9/2017 at 8:28 AM, UNTLifer said:

I live half way across the state, so I wouldn't be able to attend one way or the other.  The point that I think is trying to be made here is that when building something new, unfortunately after 100 years it seems we are at that point, you have to meet your fanbase when they are able to meet you.  Hopefully, down the road when Apogee sellouts are the norm and there is a waiting list for season tickets, they can schedule whenever and probably fill up each event.  Now, there has to be some catering to the dedicated fans in an effort to build.  Hope that makes sense.

I do agree that they should be doing stuff at night, and have NS/WB/SL/GM there to talk about the future of the programs and everything, but again these are things that have to be directed to the AD office.. Ive brought it up when I was up talking with the marketing team and WB, and they say they have not heard from people about doing it at night and don't wanna put on something at night when people may or may not walk up because they have to drive back home that even with work in the AM...

Hell, I wish that they would do something like a $5-10 plate dinner on Thursday night in the HUB club and do the podcast from there with guests like either WB/SL/ or another coach... Doing things like that... Would hopefully generate some $ for the program (even its it alittle) but it would allow for the fans to have that connection and transparent feel that so many people feel that they aren't having.