"Grassroots ideas"

emmitt01

1)Get permission from RV to do some decorating in the pit, provided you take it down at the end. Signs along the railing on the upper deck are always visible from the court and the other side.

2)Butcher paper and paint aren't THAT expensive. I can't ever forget the fun of making signs such as "Welcome Denver fans...both of you" and "Put in the white boys...it's over." That latter sign started a big firestorm and got Talons in a bit of hot water but the crowd AND THE TEAM loved it.

3)Get crazy with our attire. Funny hats, face paint, body paint, etc. Hell, find out who "super fan" is and have her make appearances at the pit as well.

4)Let's do some research on these opposing teams. Every team has a player with a funny name. Sanchez...nuff said. And I remember a few years ago a player named Chris Jackson for NMSU came to the pit after barely getting into school because of his test scores. The chants of "S-A-T, S-A-T" were classic and you could see it got to him.

5)I''ll make more games as I can. True heckling WILL come back to the pit.

6)Talk to RHA and the Union. Put up signs for tailgating and the games in dorms and in the union. Nobody can go to a game that they don't know about. Likewise, pressure the Daily to run a story on Sho Jo and the team before EVERY game. If you don't see a story the day of a game...let the hate emails commence!!!!! Why not suggest a running tally of his blocks, his rebounds, or the number of times he dunks in someone's face?

2)Butcher paper and paint aren't THAT expensive.  I can't ever forget the fun of making signs such as "Welcome Denver fans...both of you" and "Put in the white boys...it's over."  That latter sign started a big firestorm and got Talons in a bit of hot water but the crowd AND THE TEAM loved it.

*sigh* Ahh, memories....

FFR and I made a sign for UTA that said Tuck Fexas Arlington. They took it down, but it was classic. Another sign we made when we played SFA, who was coahed by the guy from Tulane, when they were accused of Point shaving. UNT by 22, give or SHAVE a few.

They made us take that one down as well. Aah the good ole days!

GMG

Ok, Emmitt! I went made a banner and put it up in the union today. I also went and got some butcher paper and posterboard and paint (waiting for ideas) and I e-mailed Brian Bethea to ask permission to 'decorate' the Pit with banners. And I'm trying to work with RHA on some promotions like contest for craziest fan and drawing for things like dinner at Chilli's and Tia's. We would hand out tickets as they come in the gate and then throughout the game draw and announce the winners of the gift cards donated by local businesses. Don't worry, we'll make flyers to put under all the dorm room doors to announce these things. Can't promise all of it will happend by this Thursday's game, but hopefully by the next!! Any other ideas?

FFR and I made a sign for UTA that said Tuck Fexas Arlington. They took it down, but it was classic. Another sign we made when we played SFA, who was coached by the guy from Tulane, when they were accused of Point shaving. UNT by 22, give or SHAVE a few.

They made us take that one down as well. Aah the good ole days!

GMG

The best ones were:

1) The posters of the swimsuit chicks that you and FFR would put up behind the baseline when the opponents were shooting free throws...and the resulting shouting match between the ref and the NT policeman when the ref wanted the posters taken away and the policeman wouldn't comply...

2) Those two idiot UTA fans who tried to come into your section in the Super Pit and raise hell during the televised game because you guys were getting serious camera time...until Rick reminded them that an overnight stay in the DENTON county jail would be fine for him, but they might not want to spend the night so far away from Tarrant County with no way to get back...

No offense to JJ, but I miss the Jimmy Gales years...the team taking the floor to the "Peter Gunn" theme...Ro' Mo' grabbing every rebound in sight...Robopost (alias Doug Schindler...the poor man's Eric Montross)..."We Want Rusty"...Lowell Myrie high-fiving Rick into the lockers in the dressing room after a long overdue win...Donald "Jet" Williams...the "ballheads" Talon90 and I wore at home games until we lost the first two games while wearing them (like THAT was gonna stop the losing streak)...J Nunley...the road trip to the Hoosier tournament in Indianapolis ("Why is everybody cheering for Marshall???")...Donnell Harvey jacking it up from anywhere on the floor...making out the letters "U", "N" and "T" during timeouts...a "five win and twenty-something loss" team one win away from the NCAA Tournament in 1990...those WERE the days, my friend...(sigh) sad.gif

Edited by Greenblood94