Lone Star Prospects Website

UNTLifer

This website's rankings were brought up in another thread, so I thought I would do a little research on their site as to how they rate our current 2018 recruits.

QB's:

Kason Martin: #7 Pro-Style QB in the class of 2018 with a rating of 89.12 and 3 stars.  They have him rated ahead of Clayton Tune, Cade Finnegan and Davis Brin.

Jason Bean: #31 Dual Threat QB with a rating of 85.76 and 3 stars.  He rates behind the likes of Spencer Sanders, Aaron Allen, Tanner Mordecai, Stacy Conner, Amari Jones and Chance Amie.

RB's:

Anthony Johnson: #48 with a rating of 81.42 and 3 stars.

MLB:

Jordan Hunt: ##37 with a rating of 83.42 and 3 stars.

OLB:

Larry Nixon: #13 with a rating of 88.9 and 3 stars.

DT:

Dayton LeBlanc #15 with a rating of 89.18 and 3 stars.  Note: He does rate ahead of Jaxon Player that committed to Tulsa who many of us were high on.

I was unable to locate our OG commits Carroll, Redfearn and Brown because I could not get the website to pull up an OG's past #34. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I posted this because this is the website that sends out the position rankings for TX HS seniors via twitter.  Not sure how accurate their rankings are, but their focus is only on TX high school athletes.  Call it reaching if you want, but considering their main focus is Texas, they may have a better handle on some of these kids than sites like 247 or Rivals.  Only time will tell.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, grossman said:

I believe they also offer exposure as part of a "premium membership" for athletes. Think they might have a conflict of interest issue

Unfortunately, that is what much of recruiting coverage has become.  If you can generate revenue you will get promotion.

1 hour ago, grossman said:

I believe they also offer exposure as part of a "premium membership" for athletes. Think they might have a conflict of interest issue

Might?

These state-based recruiting sites, again, show you nothing.  Last year, of the top 20 nationwide prospects, only three were from Texas. 

Also, as stated yesterday and before, there are 12 FBS-level football-playing college in Texas now.  Twelve.  A dozen.

So, if we are getting guys ranked even past #6 on a "Texas only" list at positions like QB where there is only one on the field at a time, we are not getting cream of the crop even in Texas. 

Worse, when we are getting "Texas only" guys ranked below 24 on things like the offensive and defensive line...that's way down the list.  That means every other FBS Texas school (plus out of state talent raiders) are taking two or three better OLs than we are getting.

And, again, that is why we are getting guys with only offers from FCS/Division II schools. That is our competition on the recruiting trail.  Sadly.

(We are paying the coach $1 million as well for all of this...plus the raises for the assistants who are stealing these guys from FCS/DIvision II schools.)

I know we can all say, "Time will tell."  But, the truth is, time has already told.  It's been telling us since 1995 when we returned to I-A.  Our recruiting has not changed.  Darrell Dickey had a three year run of winning seasons...and, it turned into nothing as far as recruiting.  Three coaches later, we are still picking from the bottom of the FBS barrell in the state. 

The "flew under radar"/"overlooked" players are fewer and more far between the further we go into the 21st Century.  There is film everywhere.  From coaches, from schools, from recruiting sites, from the players themselves (biggest joke of all...who is going to show a bad play?  If you've got one big play per game, you have 12 highlights and some poor school is drooling over you.).  Camp after camp after camp...all summer long...sophomore through senior year.

Just face the facts:  we are getting our butts kicked in recruiting.  It's just that simple. 

We went bowling a 5-8 in 2016.  It appears to have meant nothing to Texas preps...or, preps in the surrounding region.  Another sub 6-6 season in 2017, and it is hard to imagine the recruiting going anywhere.  Can't get much further down, and it surely won't go up. 

This is the third go round with this staff in recruiting as well.  All of these "connections" people keep saying they are making...fool's gold.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I've never seen them rate someone below three stars

I was thinking about that the other day.  Do you blame them? They're getting 40 bucks a MONTH. So you rate a sophomore, you get 480 bucks for 3 years.  Not bad for slapping a rating on someone and getting their money.  I do like the lists but I think you need to be in top 20-25 realistically.  They had the safety from, I believe South Grand Prarie from last year rated like 6th best safety in his class, and it wasn't even close how much better he was than the top 5.

25 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I was thinking about that the other day.  Do you blame them? They're getting 40 bucks a MONTH. So you rate a sophomore, you get 480 bucks for 3 years.  Not bad for slapping a rating on someone and getting their money.  I do like the lists but I think you need to be in top 20-25 realistically.  They had the safety from, I believe South Grand Prarie from last year rated like 6th best safety in his class, and it wasn't even close how much better he was than the top 5.

Do I blame them? No. Do I give any credibility to their ratings? Definitely not. It's mostly a scam. Kids think they're paying for a rating that will help their recruitment, but they aren't. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Do I blame them? No. Do I give any credibility to their ratings? Definitely not. It's mostly a scam. Kids think they're paying for a rating that will help their recruitment, but they aren't. 

I agree whole heartedly. 

17 hours ago, RBP79 said:

You can't count the first recruiting year for SL....comes in with a team that went 1-11 and had a month to do any kind of recruiting. But he owns it now!

Really?  Who was the head coach when the players were signed?

Do we also say that Frank Wilson gets no credit for signing his first class?  How about Tom Herman at Texas?  Does he get credit for the guys he signed in February?

You see how ridiculous that is?  But, many here accept that low standard here now:  every coach gets pass the first year.  Sign a subpar recruiting class?  Not his fault; first year.  Have a losing season?  Not his fault; first year. Maybe the new helmet logo should be "Not His Fault" in script.

Sorry, man.  Been at it too long.  No more excuses in my book.  The hired Littrell to do the job from day one not in the second year, or third year, or some other year on down the line.

The fact is, this will be his third signing class, and it's not looking different than the first two - or any of the other 20+ since 1995.  The only difference, really, between Littrell on the other former head coaches is that our new AD decided lowly ranked recruiting classes and APR bowl qualifications warrant a $1 million a year paycheck.   

Some of you believe it is "Mean Green" to keep falling for the same bullsh*t year after year, coach after coach.  I'm just done with it.  Quit making excuses and win.  Recruit FBS-ready players.  We have the facilities now, the coaches are being paid well.  No more excuses.

• Downvote 1

Yep, he signed them that first class. The buck stops with him. But if you think he can cultivate recruits in one month...that's your opinion. Myself, I'll give him a pass but hold him totally responsible for this last class and those future classes that he signs. And the low expectations that I have, perhaps is a result of poor management by former NTSU/UNT school administrators and AD's. I feel we all expect 12-0 seasons today and in the future because UNT is cultivating a winning ideaogy in its athletic programs..win or pack your bags...IMHO.

On 7/27/2017 at 11:13 AM, RBP79 said:

Yep, he signed them that first class. The buck stops with him. But if you think he can cultivate recruits in one month...that's your opinion. Myself, I'll give him a pass but hold him totally responsible for this last class and those future classes that he signs. And the low expectations that I have, perhaps is a result of poor management by former NTSU/UNT school administrators and AD's. I feel we all expect 12-0 seasons today and in the future because UNT is cultivating a winning ideaogy in its athletic programs..win or pack your bags...IMHO.

All I ever expect is 6-6.  Anything above that is gravy.  But, we've only been at 6 or more four times - three with Dickey, once with McCarney) over the past 22 seasons; so...the recruiting speaks for itself across five different coaching staffs now.