Corey Mayfield Jr commits to UTSA over OU/Arkansas

GMG24

27 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Just one season to me. 

Their FBS wins were vs teams with a combined record of 27-36. They beat a Stockstill-less MTSU and USM was the other >0.500 team.

We moved the ball well vs UTSA. We also moved the ball well *to* UTSA.

My point is jury is still out on the coaching part. They're a mid-level C-USA team that could easily be caught sleeping. Need to out-coach vs more talented teams.

Their coaching style is very McCarney'esque in that they seem to be following a run oriented offense with conservative D.  It will work if they continue to out recruit their peers and it certainly requires less offensive/defensive creativeness.  Our problem was that we were not out recruiting our peers so therefore we could not out physical the other teams.

Regarding recruiting, I wonder if the staff has changed their approach and decided to accept commitments earlier from prospects that they have offered, before they blow up and others start sniffing around.  It could also be that we are just recruiting a lower level recruit so they are jumping at the offer.  Would be interesting to know if one or the other or just a little from column A and a little from column B.

47 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Just one season to me. 

Their FBS wins were vs teams with a combined record of 27-36. They beat a Stockstill-less MTSU and USM was the other >0.500 team.

We moved the ball well vs UTSA. We also moved the ball well *to* UTSA.

My point is jury is still out on the coaching part. They're a mid-level C-USA team that could easily be caught sleeping. Need to out-coach vs more talented teams.

Wilson repeats last year he will be gone! Hell of a job last year both in recruiting and on the field. Watched the A&M game very impressive.

2 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

How It Will All Go Down:
(1) Wilson wins
(2) Wilson hired by better school
(3) NCAA finds recruiting violations at UTSA
(4) UTSA sanctioned
(5) Wilson flops at better school
(6) Profit

Or more likely:

1) Wilson Wins

2) Wilson hired by better school

3) UTSA keeps winning and recruiting better than us

4) NCAA doesn't care

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 5

3 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Their coaching style is very McCarney'esque in that they seem to be following a run oriented offense with conservative D.  

True. Their power spread is propelled by their good running backs. 

Most of their pass TDs come from tied or behind (65%) while most of their ruTDs come from ahead (68%). 

They play it pretty conservative until until it stops working and they pass pass pass. Not sure that's a good formula. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Going back and reading this thread now makes for some interesting reading. UNT is ranked #1 in CUSA and, what, 54th in the nation in recruiting at the current time. Sometimes it takes a guy a bit to get his recruiters and recruiting system in place after taking over a program that had a difficult time even spelling “recruiting”.  Anyway, the worm seems to have turned and UNT seems to be a program heading in a very positive direction. Still, in the end it is only about two letters, not recruiting star rankings. Those two letters being “W and L”.  I am thinking UNT sees a lot more “W’s” than “L’s” these days. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Damn this post got me. I was reading it thinking it was happening this month until I realized all of these posts are from 2017. I was here thinking why in the hell do we care about UTSA recruiting when we are supposed to have the number one recruiting class in CUSA? I cannot be drinking beer and reading these comments again. Oh well, off to get another beer.

• Haha 4

On 7/24/2017 at 12:36 PM, MeanGreenMailbox aka TFLF said:

How It Will All Go Down:
(1) Wilson wins
(2) Wilson hired by better school
(3) NCAA finds recruiting violations at UTSA
(4) UTSA sanctioned
(5) Wilson flops at better school
(6) Profit

Or it could go.

1 Wilson doesn't win

2. Wilson fired

3. All his recruits transfer

4. UTSA sucks forever

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, peanuts104 said:

Have you even seen our 2019 recruiting class so far. I'm pretty sure they're all 3 stars.

Yeah now, after we win a few games.

Wilson just landed 3 recruits this weekend. He'll get his. Am I happy it's improving? Hell Yeah. Let's be sure we hold on to those guys now. Doesn't mean anything if they sign somewhere else in December/February.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, MGNation92 said:

Yeah now, after we win a few games.

Wilson just landed 3 recruits this weekend. He'll get his. Am I happy it's improving? Hell Yeah. Let's be sure we hold on to those guys now. Doesn't mean anything if they sign somewhere else in December/February.

Lol when I replied I didn't realize it was from 2017, my bad, hence why I deleted my post.  And I generally agree with your statement.

• Upvote 1