Old & New

44 minutes ago, Ole Green Guts said:

Saw this on Facebook of Jones Stadium. Would love something like this for my office with fouts included. 

Any my idea where to get stadium photos?

IMG_7377.PNG

IMG_7378.PNG

Wow... I did not know how low profile and stretched Tech's stadium was. When did they expand it? You might as well rent one of those apartments across the highway than paying for a box suite.

• Upvote 1

I love Apogee,  I've only been once since it was built,  2012 against Arky State. But I still have fond memories of Fouts. I transferred to NT in 2002... left Denton in 2008.  I saw good and really really bad in that stadium, but those Nola bowl years were great and that Baylor beat down was amazing. 

Edited by SAGreenFan
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Ole Green Guts said:

Growing up my grandad took me to home games. We always ate before at Furrs. Some of my favorite memories!!!

Such a West Texas-type memory. You're very lucky. How many other family/friends were there that were at least peripherally part of this routine/tradition?

I'd like to think that there are many people out there who have similar memories of their parent/grandparents taking them to games at Fouts. 

Sadly, I just haven't heard them.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Such a West Texas-type memory. You're very lucky. How many other family/friends were there that were at least peripherally part of this routine/tradition?

I'd like to think that there are many people out there who have similar memories of their parent/grandparents taking them to games at Fouts. 

Sadly, I just haven't heard them.

I have fond memories of attending games at Fouts with my parents.  My dad would go to the old Buddies/Win Dixie on University to buy raw peanuts.  We would roast them at home, put them in paper bags and head to Fouts.  I didn't know any better and thought it was the best place ever to spend a Saturday.  Since my Dad was on staff, I also had the opportunity to get on the field and attend practices.  I thought they were second best to the Cowboys.  Coach Mitchell, Coach Rust and Coach Fry were just awesome people to know and always made me and my friends feel an important part of the program.  My brother also sold drinks in the stands, something I always wanted to do, but they stopped that service by the time I was old enough.  Hate to see old Fouts go, but Apogee is just an awesome place to watch a game, bring my kids and cheer for the Mean Green regardless of whom they are playing.

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, SAGreenFan said:

Wow... I did not know how low profile and stretched Tech's stadium was. When did they expand it? You might as well rent one of those apartments across the highway than paying for a box suite.

The older picture was taken prior to an expansion after entry into the SWC. The Stadium was moved east about 150 yards on RR ties and the field was lowered. They had to expand the stadium by 1960 as a condition of entering the SWC. At one time the idea of taking out the track and moving the Fouts Field stands closer to the field using the same means was floated as a part of a plan for expanding Fouts,

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I have fond memories of attending games at Fouts with my parents.  My dad would go to the old Buddies/Win Dixie on University to buy raw peanuts.  We would roast them at home, put them in paper bags and head to Fouts.  I didn't know any better and thought it was the best place ever to spend a Saturday.  Since my Dad was on staff, I also had the opportunity to get on the field and attend practices.  I thought they were second best to the Cowboys.  Coach Mitchell, Coach Rust and Coach Fry were just awesome people to know and always made me and my friends feel an important part of the program.  My brother also sold drinks in the stands, something I always wanted to do, but they stopped that service by the time I was old enough.  Hate to see old Fouts go, but Apogee is just an awesome place to watch a game, bring my kids and cheer for the Mean Green regardless of whom they are playing.

Welp, there's one. Thanks for sharing.

Looking forward to more.

On 7/22/2017 at 7:15 PM, SAGreenFan said:

The playing surface at Jones is way below surface level.  You wouldn't see a thing from those apartments.  I have always liked Jones as well as Tech's campus architecture and their upgrades since being a part of the  Big 12 have been great, but they probably have the worst fans in the conference/Texas.  Kind of like the LSU of Texas.

5 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

I'm not impressed with Jones Stadium at all.  The site lines are worst than Fouts.

Site lines aren't bad, but it is a flat bowl that would benefit from being more upright.  I guess it is in how you define site lines.  I think of obstructions and you may be referencing distance.

9 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Site lines aren't bad, but it is a flat bowl that would benefit from being more upright.  I guess it is in how you define site lines.  I think of obstructions and you may be referencing distance.

Yes, strictly on the basis of distance.

• Upvote 1