3 of the top 40 OG in Texas committed to UNT

GMG24

10 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Are these lists the top seniors or top at their position regardless of grade classification?

The senior class.  This particular site does the breakdowns by position, and class.  They then offer for like 30/40 bucks a month a profile of the athlete.  It's a bit of a $ grad on their part but the actual ranking costs nothing. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I wasn't referring to your evaluation. You were on topic. And it was great info. I was referring to the ones who are constantly bringing in the "offers" rhetoric 

Which is exactly what @BillySee58 was doing. And just because the 'rhetoric' doesn't sway in our favor, doesn't mean it's not accurate. We can point out the facts. It's up to you if you want to see them or not. 

@GMG24 pointed out that there are roughly 1,000 OG's in the state of Texas. But that means nothing due to the fact that less than 4% of them will be playing FBS college football in 1 years time. 

Lists like this are a summer staple on GMG. It's a staple because it's what we choose to hang our hat on because we have nothing else to shine a positive light on. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

8 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

@BillySee58 

@GMG24

Lists like this are a summer staple on GMG. It's a staple because it's what we choose to hang our hat on because we have nothing else to shine a positive light on. 

B.S.  Lists like this are a staple on any teams website, fan forum and bio on signing day.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

@Ben Gooding, It seems like you care about the Mean Green. Hard to understand why you go "above and beyond" to continually cut down the players we are going after. Some might say you're being a horses ass, to me, it seems like you get too much joy from the hate. Sorry for you.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

@Ben Gooding, It seems like you care about the Mean Green. Hard to understand why you go "above and beyond" to continually cut down the players we are going after. Some might say you're being a horses ass, to me, it seems like you get too much joy from the hate. Sorry for you.

I'm not cutting down anyone. I'm cutting down the idea of trying to polish up a turd with arbitrary lists. And I only point it out because of the frequency it  seems to happen on this board. I also have no hate toward anything or anyone. And I do care about UNT. @BillySee58 broke down exactly what I was saying in an analytical way. See his post on this thread, that's all I was saying. 

• Sad 1
  • Downvote 4

On 7/23/2017 at 8:15 AM, BillySee58 said:

I did some research into this. Every year there are approximately 350 FBS signees from the state of Texas. If you divide this number by 22 positions, you get about 16 FBS signees at each position. So you factor in the fact that there are two guard spots and you get an approximation of about 32 FBS guard signees from Texas each year.

https://n.rivals.com/news/where-the-fbs-signees-come-from-1

A little further research showed me that about 21 of the 247 top 450 recruits in Texas were guards. I did 100 more than the 350 I mentioned because a lot of the first 350 either didn't sign or went FCS and I was going for roughly a representative sample of FBS signees. Those 21 were not all FBS signees either.

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?State=TX

So we're looking at about 30 or so FBS signees each year from Texas at the guard position. Not trying to say having guys between 31 and 40 means they aren't FBS quality, but I would say based on that little research that's likely going to be a range every year featuring borderline FBS players.

Impressive in what sense? I'm not being a smart aleck or arguing with you. Genuinely asking the question. The fact these guys didn't have any FBS offers means that you or I could've garnered their commitments. No disrespect to the players or their potentials, but we got these guys uncontested. 

The thing you keep missing with the offer list narrative is that it's not about predicting the success of each individual player. But:

1. In larger samples (i.e. Signing classes) you're playing against the percentages the more of these players that you sign and

2. If you can't win recruiting battles you are relegating yourself to players no one else wants. Even if you like some of those kids and they #FitTheSystem, you are putting yourself in a position where you are at the mercy of who other schools want and are not choosing between recruits, but getting the ones no one else wants by default. That's a very unlikely spot to win games out of and the concern for that is legitimate, whether you choose to be concerned by it or not.

This is what I was thinking when this thread was posted.
If this were a "Top 40 OFFENSIVE LINEMEN in the state" (including C & T), then I would be much more excited.  
Of course, that list would be dominated by OTs.  You might have 5-10 guards on that list, since you usually put your best linemen at the OT spots.

To me, it is what it is.  If there is a higher ranked guard that happens to be in another state, we should go for them. 

The problem with these state-only recruiting things is that we don't only play state colleges.  We play schools from different parts of the country as well as Texas. 

BillySee does some good math.  I do a math set as well:
-There are 12 FBS schools in the state
-Assume each school gets two or three guards per class
-Getting guys ranked in the 30s puts us behind the vast majority of Texas schools getting Texas talent at that position.

Again, though, the college football universe is broader than Texas.  So, how do they stack up regionally?  Nationally? 

If I'm in the Southland Conference and getting these guys, I'm feeling really good about the future.  Because I'm not, and my alma mater is an FBS, I'm feeling like i have to hope one of them works out well enough to start as a upperclassman. 

It's not that the kids aren't good kids.  I'm certain they are.  It's just that, this type of recruiting is what it is:  same as always for us.

The other amazing thing about the Texas preps listed here:  http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?State=TX

-Of the Top 10, only one is committed to a Texas schools.
-Of the Top 20, only three.

UT doesn't check in until #20. 

The fall of the Big 12 has really allowed the nation to get a firm grip on Texas recruits.  A&M, though they opened the door wider for the SEC, isn't really the beneficiary either.  LSU and Alabama combined are whipping them in Texas...again.

Don't know what the answer is other than, at some point, OU and Texas simply throw in the towel and join a more competitive conference. 

Our bottom line is simple, though:  we are not getting the best players in Texas...or, the second best...or, even the third, fourth, fifth, or sixth. etc., best. With very few exceptions, we are picking off guys with FCS and Division II offers.

It's just not good for the long term.  We're at the bottom of a Texas prep food chain that none of the Texas schools are feeding well upon.

23 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Which is exactly what @BillySee58 was doing. And just because the 'rhetoric' doesn't sway in our favor, doesn't mean it's not accurate. We can point out the facts. It's up to you if you want to see them or not. 

@GMG24 pointed out that there are roughly 1,000 OG's in the state of Texas. But that means nothing due to the fact that less than 4% of them will be playing FBS college football in 1 years time. 

we have you as alum that we can all be proud of and hang our hat on knowing you.

• Upvote 1