Watch Littrell Live at C-USA Kickoff 2017

Harry

Also said throwing the ball downfield was atrocious, so I'm glad they're acknowledging that. Mentioned Shanbour had a fantastic spring and is competing for the starting job.

If our O-Line isn't head and shoulders above what we were last year we are absolutely screwed

• Upvote 7

Coach also said he was pleased with Coach Yellock and is interested in the D-Line development. D-line should be good.

Coach stated there are several offensive players that can be the "go to" type player like Rico and Guyton will be this season.

The offense will be good as long as Wilson is having a good game. Sounds like Wilson will be getting more carries.

Last season, the o-line was not good. There were too many players that suffered injuries. The O-line was shuffled around too

much. This season there is depth, and good players. This season the o-line will be much better than last season.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Charlie NT 73 said:

Coach also said he was pleased with Coach Yellock and is interested in the D-Line development. D-line should be good.

Coach stated there are several offensive players that can be the "go to" type player like Rico and Guyton will be this season.

The offense will be good as long as Wilson is having a good game. Sounds like Wilson will be getting more carries.

Last season, the o-line was not good. There were too many players that suffered injuries. The O-line was shuffled around too

much. This season there is depth, and good players. This season the o-line will be much better than last season.

Curious about the O-Line comments. I'm not as familiar with the o-line personnel, so can anybody explain to me why we should be better? Who were we missing last year that we have back? Or is it JUCOs that are expected to come in immediately and help?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, cdizzle86 said:

Curious about the O-Line comments. I'm not as familiar with the o-line personnel, so can anybody explain to me why we should be better? Who were we missing last year that we have back? Or is it JUCOs that are expected to come in immediately and help?

Mose will start day 1, and I'd be willing to bet at least one of the other Young OL will compete for a starting job ultimately to lose out.  Also this being their second full year in the system, they understand the blocks and techniques better.  Remember they were asked to go from pro style to a little more finesse and a totally different technique.

11 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Again, having a full year under his belt will make SL a better coach, GH a better OC, Fine a better QB, the receives better, etc...the guys he inherited were built for an offense that Knute Rockne found bland and boring, then he and the staff had to try and coach that group into learning a system they weren't assembled or trained to play at this level. Its why he went out and got two QBs from outside of the roster to play here last year. He knew that the QBs he had couldn't lead this offense back then.

We will be better. If the OL can play, we can be a 7+ win team this year--Wilson is that good and a sophomore Fine can be a QB that can move the ball with a set of receivers and a line that are better than he had last year--and there is NO reason that shouldn't be the case, barring injuries. This schedule is the easiest we have had in a looonnnnngggg time. We play one bodybag game and its a Big Ten clod-hopper school, not some Southern NFL Lite Program. We play a service academy at home and a FCS spare at home. We play a conference game against a team that hasn't played in two years. And we play the two Texas public schools here, while playing at Rice and FAU, two programs coming off disastrous years. And in a neutral-site game at SMU (which is what the crowd makes it look and feel like), and two trips to two really good G5 programs in La Tech and USM, it all adds up to a schedule that seems to be 5 wins at worst, 6-7 wins as very reasonable to achieve, and 8-9 wins isn't that out of reach if things go our way like they did in 2013.

The defense should be on par with that defense IMO.  LB play may be behind but our secondary is going to be silly good. 

48 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Mose will start day 1, and I'd be willing to bet at least one of the other Young OL will compete for a starting job ultimately to lose out.  Also this being their second full year in the system, they understand the blocks and techniques better.  Remember they were asked to go from pro style to a little more finesse and a totally different technique.

The defense should be on par with that defense IMO.  LB play may be behind but our secondary is going to be silly good. 

Which Mose?

16 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Moses starts at one of the OGs and Newman challenges at C...Weatherspoon will RS because he still recovering from the ACL, Brammer is moving for TE to OT, Parish gets a year to RS and learn OT as well... It will be interesting with the JUCO guys Mose and Pahinui

Thats what I think they should do.. Also having 2 weeks of practice for the bowl game will be huge for them as well.

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Which Mose?

The true freshman

1 minute ago, MGNation92 said:

I think the kid from ACU has a solid chance to start too.

Yes, I keep forgetting him.  I've heard coaches are pretty high on him. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Yes, I keep forgetting him.  I've heard coaches are pretty high on him. 

And Garrett Gunter getting an extra year is big too. He was playing well before he got hurt. Do we know what the post spring depth chart looked like? I can't seem to find it

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Well after seeing this I can see why @GMG24 was saying Mose will start. Left guard is hurting right now

That and 10-15 schools told his coach if he was an inch or two taller he'd get an offer, that he was just "too short" to play at that level.  I'm telling y'all this kid is an absolute freak.  Trinity has had some animals and he's up there with the best of them. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 3

• Harry featured this topic
41 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

That's who I thought you were talking about, but just wanted to make sure.  Is his brother anywhere near as good as Manase.

I have to re watch but seems to me Manase is better of the two.  Brother could play a guard or center for us, but I'm pretty comfortable saying Manase is quite a bit better than his brother. Not taking anything away from older brother.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I have to re watch but seems to me Manase is better of the two.  Brother could play a guard or center for us, but I'm pretty comfortable saying Manase is quite a bit better than his brother. Not taking anything away from older brother.

If anything he'll provide solid depth at C/G. Especially seeing that Barr was hurt last year, Rice got switched to Center, and when Barr came back, he switched to guard. Having guys that can play the three inside positions is extremely important, and I don't know how comfortable I am with Pahinui as the only Center backup right now

• Upvote 2