DRC: Wren Baker a year into tenure: UNT AD has enjoyed remarkable rise

Brett Vito

7 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

That is absolutely none of your business. Creep. 

Let's not make everything about me. You like doing that. Let's make it about concrete goals for North Texas athletics. Anyone can word anything in their favor. Especially talking in percentages when referring to athletic department improvements given our history. Talk in hard numbers or don't talk about it at all. It creates 0 accountability from the top all the way to the bottom. That is where the Rick reference steps in. Outside of some hard numbered goals that were put out very early in his tenure, he exclusively talked in percentages from there on out. WB, to my knowledge, has put out 0 hard goals. Does he need 2 years to evaluate before this happens?  

Poor Ben.

Here is the lesson to learn on this forum:

No one cares about winning. Expressing an alternate opinion that demands better will get you ridicule and personal insults from Harry's Hit Squad, the same 6 or 7 miserable losers that love losing as long as they get some weird self-importance out of it. 

Havent looked at this board in about a month and the first thread I see is some BS "Wren is a savior" when the guy has done squat his first year.

How many AD employees have been held accountable? Zero. Nitardy? Still sucking it up. Hank? Still as self important as always. 

Baker has shown to be no different than RV in any aspect. 

Same ole UNT.

Adios, loser Mofos. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 14

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

Poor Ben.

Here is the lesson to learn on this forum:

No one cares about winning. Expressing an alternate opinion that demands better will get you ridicule and personal insults from Harry's Hit Squad, the same 6 or 7 miserable losers that love losing as long as they get some weird self-importance out of it. 

Havent looked at this board in about a month and the first thread I see is some BS "Wren is a savior" when the guy has done squat his first year.

How many AD employees have been held accountable? Zero. Nitardy? Still sucking it up. Hank? Still as self important as always. 

Baker has shown to be no different than RV in any aspect. 

Same ole UNT.

Adios, loser Mofos. 

You must live in a vacuum... You have no idea the process or what is being done with past personal either, but of course you wanna cry about something

All staff that WB has done in 11 months:

Buying out and hiring GMac,

Bringing multiple new personal for new positions,

Do outreach with recent grads by offering free tickets,

Increase the staffing budget for football,

Announce plans for a new Soccer/Track Stadium,

Have plans coming soon for the IPF and Athletic Center remodel...

Also, under his watch we had the BIGGEST football camp as well with over 1k in athletes that came up to denton

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

You must live in a vacuum... You have no idea the process or what is being done with past personal either, but of course you wanna cry about something

All staff that WB has done in 11 months:

Buying out and hiring GMac,

Bringing multiple new personal for new positions,

Do outreach with recent grads by offering free tickets,

Increase the staffing budget for football,

Announce plans for a new Soccer/Track Stadium,

Have plans coming soon for the IPF and Athletic Center remodel...

Also, under his watch we had the BIGGEST football camp as well with over 1k in athletes that came up to denton

You mean like quarterly meeting plans? Or that new baseball program coming in 2011, er... 2012, er... 2013, er... 2014 plan? 

UNT has long been great at plans, but SEVERLY lacking at actually doing anything. 

This regime is the last regime, just with a new RV. Big plans, no results. That describes all of RV's tenure and all of Baker's first year. Add in zero accountability for the worst athletic department in America, and then tell me how far this has come again? 

But Harry's Hit Squad don't care. If you will remember, to a wet noodle, they all wanted to retain the worst AD in America. And they will fight to retain this one, even if his major sports winning percentage is less than the Hustler's (is that even possible?) after 15 years here.

Last post. Back into exile, mofos!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 11

23 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

You mean like quarterly meeting plans? Or that new baseball program coming in 2011, er... 2012, er... 2013, er... 2014 plan? 

UNT has long been great at plans, but SEVERLY lacking at actually doing anything. 

This regime is the last regime, just with a new RV. Big plans, no results. That describes all of RV's tenure and all of Baker's first year. Add in zero accountability for the worst athletic department in America, and then tell me how far this has come again? 

But Harry's Hit Squad don't care. If you will remember, to a wet noodle, they all wanted to retain the worst AD in America. And they will fight to retain this one, even if his major sports winning percentage is less than the Hustler's (is that even possible?) after 15 years here.

Baseball isn't coming back until the new bball arena isn't built across 35 by the athletic dorms.  Why dump more money into a drain? Baseball will generate 0 revenue, and our sports operated at a deficit last year.  THAT would be bad business.  I would like to see him holding former AD members feet to the fire, but maybe just maybe with a good leader they've gotten their act together? If not then they need to be shown the door and I have a feeling WB will have no problem in doing so. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Baseball isn't coming back until the new bball arena isn't built across 35 by the athletic dorms.  Why dump more money into a drain? Baseball will generate 0 revenue, and our sports operated at a deficit last year.  THAT would be bad business.  I would like to see him holding former AD members feet to the fire, but maybe just maybe with a good leader they've gotten their act together? If not then they need to be shown the door and I have a feeling WB will have no problem in doing so. 

Right. A "feeling." Because after one year that's all you have to hold on to.

A feeling. Zero tangible physical proof. None. Zip. Nada. After a year. 

And the point was about unfulfilled promises, not baseball. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

13 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

IPF will begin and be complete in 2 years, and a brand new soccer/track facility by next summer.  Pretty solid for year 1 if you ask me.  You of all people know exactly what a disaster this place was when he took over.  Glad you're back, but I was definitely part of the get RV as far away from this place as possible group.  I can say the few times I've heard Wren talk, listened to his coaches talk about the support he's giving them.  This thing is going to turn around.  He also went out and purchased the brand new sweet chrome helmets for coach Littrell to get the guys juiced up.  Those helmets ain't cheap, you're looking at minimum of 275/300 probably closer to 400 per helmet, then add the design etc probably 5-600 a pop, times however many we suit up, I'm almost certain it was a home game they were released which means everyone suits up.  Let's call it 90 for giggles, and say an even 500.  You're looking at $45,000 without Tax.  I am sure there are other things I'm forgetting.  Oh redoing the ladies LR, and the practice facilities for bball.  The guy is doing stuff but is taking longer than maybe we'd like to show "it".  I've been pleased with the minor improvements while waiting for the big ticket items to be revealed.  I'm ok that they're taking their time BD god knows we need to do it right the first time, see the football LR that had to be redone again, Bc it still isn't up to par.  Oh the football team room, WB. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

IPF will begin and be complete in 2 years, and a brand new soccer/track facility by next summer.  Pretty solid for year 1 if you ask me.  You of all people know exactly what a disaster this place was when he took over.  Glad you're back, but I was definitely part of the get RV as far away from this place as possible group.  I can say the few times I've heard Wren talk, listened to his coaches talk about the support he's giving them.  This thing is going to turn around.  He also went out and purchased the brand new sweet chrome helmets for coach Littrell to get the guys juiced up.  Those helmets ain't cheap, you're looking at minimum of 275/300 probably closer to 400 per helmet, then add the design etc probably 5-600 a pop, times however many we suit up, I'm almost certain it was a home game they were released which means everyone suits up.  Let's call it 90 for giggles, and say an even 500.  You're looking at $45,000 without Tax.  I am sure there are other things I'm forgetting.  Oh redoing the ladies LR, and the practice facilities for bball.  The guy is doing stuff but is taking longer than maybe we'd like to show "it".  I've been pleased with the minor improvements while waiting for the big ticket items to be revealed.  I'm ok that they're taking their time BD god knows we need to do it right the first time, see the football LR that had to be redone again, Bc it still isn't up to par.  Oh the football team room, WB. 

2 years? I thought the IPF was going to be started on in the near future. Psh, We'll get that when we get our baseball team. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

2 years? I thought the IPF was going to be started on in the near future. Psh, We'll get that when we get our baseball team. 

It's going to be a pretty big project.  It is including an expansion of the current dorm/cafeteria/weight room etc.  I believe I read 2 years but I could be wrong.  Construction projects take time. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

It's going to be a pretty big project.  It is including an expansion of the current dorm/cafeteria/weight room etc.  I believe I read 2 years but I could be wrong.  Construction projects take time. 

Not if you're at TCU, where everyone farts rainbows and shits sprinkles.

Maybe Kenny Trill can look like a competent QB this year and that failure of an AD can finally win some football games

Out of the fire and into the frying pan eh 90?

/s

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

WB didn't promise baseball... your man crush RV did, so again you fail... You're literally this boards #FakeNews blaming WB for your promises made my RV.. WB says he wants baseball here but he isn't going to dump millions of dollars on a start up sport when our current sports are in a terrible condition... I mean honestly if you're house was falling apart you would fix it but no you are talking about going out and expanding onto the house and leaving the rest of the house to be fixed later, literally this argument over baseball is pointless.  

Big plans and no results, I literally named off things and you had no reply to any of them! How do you know that there is 0 accountability? Please see me some proof because it has been show that WB reshuffled and moved the old personal around and brought in HIS people.  

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

You posted after you said you were done LOL

WB never said that he was going to come in and just fire everyone, so again #FakeNews with that promise... 

You can say that we have no proof that they have improved, and you have 0 proof that they are doing the same, so that argument is pointless...

WB hasn't even been here a year and you are crying about unfilled promises? LOL look at the list i posted above of the stuff he has done in less than 1 year... 

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Start using your head, and stop trying to be 90 who doesn't think... as @GMG24 said look at the expansion that they are doing, and they are likely going to be doing some of it during football season, so that adds to the length of time as well. Rome wasn't built in a day, the logic of thinking this huge expansion would be quick is below you. 

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

You are like a bad case of Mexican crabs. Just when we think you are gone for good, you come back with a vengeance.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

There are actually four.

4.  Misery loves company.  UNT90 rears his ugly head when he realizes he has a kindred spirit in Ben Gooding.  Don't respond.  They are just trolling.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

15 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

That's my bad. Looking at you @GreenMachine

Keep it civil boys. Oh and @MeanGreenTexan, don't egg them on. You know these teenage boys got a lot of angst built up. Hormones raging and all the jazz

I'm just looking to help drive up attendance for the Lamar game.   If a post-game boxing match followed by a hobo drumline isn't your cup of tea, what's your big idea???

• Upvote 3

I mostly agree with @UNT90 at this point although the delivery is harsh. And those who freak out against him aren't hearing what he is saying to begin with. He'll say nothing is happening and so you point out some of the things that have happened and write him off as a crazy.

Well saying nothing has happened isn't accurate because something is always happening. But the context of his nothing is happening is related to other things that many have complained about. The previous AD and staff treated most of us like we were the problem. Yes it's possible that as @GMG24 said with better leadership those same people are no longer the same but it's not likely. Look if you treat people a certain way, that's because that's in you to do that. You might act differently when a boss is looking but, too late we already know how you really feel.

I don't know how many times I heard at a AD run event that we needed to step up and get people to come to games so this can get where we are going. I can't think of (maybe someone else can) of another business where you have an event to thank customers and then lecture them about doing more to make the business grow. It was annoying.

It might be changing, but it will take time to know. So far it looks like, they are just spending more money which while great is only part of the overall experience.

I get just as tired of all of the excuses many on here make for a poorly run office. So far, while stuff may be happening, it really hasn't affected me. Most of it seems the same as before except we are spending some money.

I'll give one example, the event for Season tickets. It's on a Wednesday, and goes from 8am-8pm? What the heck is that. So everytime someone shows up that day to pick up a ticket, they are going to cheer. I guess they are trying but it just seems wierd and something the old AD would do. Plus it's a Wednesday. I can't get up to Denton very easily before 7-7-30 without taking time off and not really sure why I'd want to.

Some of you in the wait and see are right about the they should do things right with the IPF and soccer/track stuff. Maybe they should have gotten this Season ticket event thing right before they tried it too.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

There are actually four.

4.  Misery loves company.  UNT90 rears his ugly head when he realizes he has a kindred spirit in Ben Gooding.  Don't respond.  They are just trolling.

This board has a great feature called "ignore user." If no one feeds the trolls they will go away. I am not suggesting ignoring anyone with whom you disagree, but there are some here upset they are no longer able to responds rationally. It is like ignoring a two year old screaming "no" - if they don't get any attention they start to behave.