Program Moniker

Ben Gooding

I am in the "North Texas" camp, for the record.

Just for fun, I'll throw this into the mix. For some reason (probably something I saw on the History Channel) I browsed Farmersville, TX in connection with Audie Murphy. I got to the Chamber of Commerce site and saw they had some "Farmersville Facts" and that they were published on 2/26/17. I clicked on a link and it took me to a little brochure; on page 8 of that brochure we are mentioned as "North Texas State University". I know they must live in the past over there but...seriously?

Don't believe me? http://www.farmersvillechamber.com/announcements/farmersville-facts

13 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Go back and look at every name our university has ever had...all of them.  Tell me what you see that is universal.  Hint: It aint a lame acronym.  

This is just dumb.  What did you think the change would accomplish?  

"Wanna go watch North Texas versus SMU with me?"

"Nope...they're not historically very good"

"Well, do you wanna go watch UNT play SMU?"

"UNT?  Of course!  Why didn't you say UNT to begin with??  EVERYONE knows they're good"

Doing what we've always done hasn't worked. Branding included. 

One poster said changing our branding infers that I'm ashamed of who we are...To that I say, that poster is damn straight, athletically speaking. I'm damn shamed. And anything and everything that can rid the old and create a new perception, I'm all for. We need any kind of boost we can get, in any way. 

4 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

I am in the "North Texas" camp, for the record.

Just for fun, I'll throw this into the mix. For some reason (probably something I saw on the History Channel) I browsed Farmersville, TX in connection with Audie Murphy. I got to the Chamber of Commerce site and saw they had some "Farmersville Facts" and that they were published on 2/26/17. I clicked on a link and it took me to a little brochure; on page 8 of that brochure we are mentioned as "North Texas State University". I know they must live in the past over there but...seriously?

Don't believe me? http://www.farmersvillechamber.com/announcements/farmersville-facts

To add.. in the UNT @ UF game I rewatched...One of the announcers referred to us as the screaming eagles on national television. 

• Downvote 9

47 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

One poster said changing our branding infers that I'm ashamed of who we are...To that I say, that poster is damn straight, athletically speaking. I'm damn shamed. And anything and everything that can rid the old and create a new perception, I'm all for. We need any kind of boost we can get, in any way. 

To add.. in the UNT @ UF game I rewatched...One of the announcers referred to us as the screaming eagles on national television. 

I'm certain you have a case of New Coke in your fridge as we speak*

*If you don't know what New Coke is...exactly

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I'm certain you have a case of New Coke in your fridge as we speak*

*If you don't know what New Coke is...exactly

Except coca cola's branding didn't then and doesn't now need upgrading. If our brand had coke success this entire discussion would be moot. 

• Downvote 4

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Maybe North Texas is ashamed they ever let you in? 

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Honestly, I thought you of all people would be above this. 

Coaching. Recruiting. Leadership. Everything else is just fluff. 

There's no magic in getting us out of this. A cool logo or new name doesn't change anything. I could care less about new locker rooms, uniforms, IPFs, or the beers that are being served in Apogee. Until we can get kids who can block, rush the passer, catch the ball and convert third downs at anywhere near a decent rate (and stay in school), the rest is all bullshit. 

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Honestly, I thought you of all people would be above this. 

Coaching. Recruiting. Leadership. Everything else is just fluff. 

There's no magic in getting us out of this. A cool logo or new name doesn't change anything. I could care less about new locker rooms, uniforms, IPFs, or the beers that are being served in Apogee. Until we can get kids who can block, rush the passer, catch the ball and convert third downs at anywhere near a decent rate (and stay in school), the rest is all bullshit. 

Oh it's not getting us out of anything. It's not going to hide the current flaws or mask the decades of losing. Not really what this is about. But marketing and branding is a way to at least try to turn over a new leaf, whether it's successful or not, who knows. It at least shows initiative of maybe, possibly being the beginning of a new and hopefully successful era. 

But like I said I think yesterday on this thread, it's an unpopular and almost despised opinion. Delete the thread. 

But having IPF's, cool locker room, and cool uniforms will increase the odds of getting more and better players to block, rush the passer, catch, and convert on 3rd downs more frequent rate. But that's a different conversation. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Downvote 2

On 7/15/2017 at 1:39 PM, TheTastyGreek said:

I was thinking we needed to go by a name that's short, punchy, undeniably cool, and not at all directional. 

We should just call ourselves "Ace". Or maybe "Gunner". Short, tough, memorable, cool, and don't make any difference between up, down, or sideways. 

Thoughts? 

Fighting Mongooses? 

It would be interesting to see the age break down on the preference for North Texas vs. UNT.  It seems to me that the younger generation (generation raised in a social media world) prefers UNT so perhaps it's changing on it's own accord.  Personally I hate seeing N. Texas, N. Tex., North Tex. or the worst, No. Texas on the scoreboard tickers.  Maybe the AD can insist that media outlets only use UNT or North Texas for us.  If we don't defend out brand, no one will.

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Oh it's not getting us out of anything. It's not going to hide the current flaws or mask the decades of losing. Not really what this is about. But marketing and branding is a way to at least try to turn over a new leaf, whether it's successful or not, who knows. It at least shows initiative of maybe, possibly being the beginning of a new and hopefully successful era. 

But like I said I think yesterday on this thread, it's an unpopular and almost despised opinion. Delete the thread. 

But having IPF's, cool locker room, and cool uniforms will increase the odds of getting more and better players to block, rush the passer, catch, and convert on 3rd downs more frequent rate. But that's a different conversation. 

You must not follow our social media and all of the new stuff everyone is raving about. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

So you are saying that not your kids had a history of bad performance in (school, sports, work) you would change his name?

• Downvote 1

I was thinking we needed to go by a name that's short, punchy, undeniably cool, and not at all directional. 

We should just call ourselves "Ace". Or maybe "Gunner". Short, tough, memorable, cool, and don't make any difference between up, down, or sideways. 

Thoughts? 

idk about "Gunner". When I hear it, I think of a spare Friends character, or a town north of Celina.

• Upvote 1

On 7/15/2017 at 0:34 PM, Ben Gooding said:

We need to refer to ourselves as UNT. The administration needs to refer to us as UNT. Likewise with students, alum, the athletic department and every other entity that represents UNT. 

What, and do away with our most effective cheer.....  NORTH            TEXAS             NORTH         TEXAS

• Upvote 1

The only name change I would  look into is having our official nickname going back to the Eagles.  I mean growing up I always knew it as the North Texas Eagles.  We can still be the Mean Green as well and it's still ours but I'd really like to have a conversation with RV and the SGA when we made that change back in I want to say 2001ish.  It also eliminates EVERYBODY saying that got our Mean Green name because of Mean Joe Greene.  But that is just me and it probably never happens.

As for North Texas, UNT, NT etc...why not have it all?  Speaking of USC, they're most known as that but I also frequently hear Southern Cal, Southern California, and SC. 

What does the moniker change really accomplish?  All of this boils down to athletics success in the major sports.  If you win, the perception and apathy will change...it's not rocket science.

The off-season cannot end soon enough.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Our official mascot is the Eagles with our nickname being the Mean Green.  Although I understand RV's position on emphasizing the "Mean Green" I would prefer Eagles also be re-included.  Something along the lines of Mean Green Eagles would be fine.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Thoughts? 

No, a random three or four letter invented word. Something pronounceable, but without any previous meaning attached. Makes for easier branding when you get to create the meaning from scratch. Also easier to get a domain. Like Moo.com for printing. 

Or, just concentrate on the unique brand we already have. Lots and lots of eagles, but only one Mean Green. And don't worry if some out of touch announcer didn't bother to do basic research. Or even look at the printed sheet in front of him. He's an lazy idiot with basic reading comprehension problems. 

I was in Memphis last summer and LOT of their alumni still refer to Memphis State. I hear people still refer to Abilene Christian as ACC. People who are paying any attention don't do that and the one who don't, well, they aren't paying attention anyway! 

• Upvote 1

I've been kind of on the fence about this until this morning.  I was watching SportsCenter and they showed the University of Tennessee football schedule.  As I looked at the schedule it occurred to me that if we were on that schedule listed as UNT, probably 80% of the SportsCenter audience would have no clue as to Tennessee's opponent that particular week. 

I think we need to be North Texas.  The SOW should be the logo.  The current shade of green should be the color.  Not that I'm love with any or all of those things, but we've basically been using them for a few years, so I'd just like to stick with something for a while.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 7

Just because SMU and TCU use acronyms is no reason to use an acronym. I hate to see the university promote it and I think it's a bad decision on their part every time I see it. It takes away from my connection with the university. Stop doing it. If some people happen to refer that way, no problem, but the university should NEVER do so or otherwise encourage it as they have been.

It's ok to use in the fight song, but stop using UNT in print.

Edited by Aquila_Viridis
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 7/17/2017 at 6:25 PM, NT93 said:

I've been kind of on the fence about this until this morning.  I was watching SportsCenter and they showed the University of Tennessee football schedule.  As I looked at the schedule it occurred to me that if we were on that schedule listed as UNT, probably 80% of the SportsCenter audience would have no clue as to Tennessee's opponent that particular week. 

I think we need to be North Texas.  The SOW should be the logo.  The current shade of green should be the color.  Not that I'm love with any or all of those things, but we've basically been using them for a few years, so I'd just like to stick with something for a while.

That was probably the case for UCF not that long ago, but not anymore.  A little mystery may have even caused some to spend a some effort to find out who UNT is.  For those that live in or around Texas or have some familiarity with the school, they know who North Texas is.  Outside of the area, North Texas is the same as Eastern Connecticut or Southern New Hampshire.  Be honest, what's your initial perception of these two universities?  Likewise, people didn't give much thought to Southwest Texas State University, but seem to know who Texas State is.  Sad but true.