Program Moniker

Ben Gooding

We need to refer to ourselves as UNT. The administration needs to refer to us as UNT. Likewise with students, alum, the athletic department and every other entity that represents UNT. 

I have some free time today and re-watched the UNT at UF game. Every time the announcers refered to us they refered to us as North Texas. And to be frank, it sounds horrible. We can't brand ourselves with directional verbage. Directionals are frowned upon by most everyone. To add, the entire DFW metroplex and region refers to the same, North Texas. We have to get away from it and it needs to be reiterated to broadcasting teams that we are UNT. I know this topic has been discussed in the past on here, but I just wanted to bring it back up. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 33

I was thinking we needed to go by a name that's short, punchy, undeniably cool, and not at all directional. 

We should just call ourselves "Ace". Or maybe "Gunner". Short, tough, memorable, cool, and don't make any difference between up, down, or sideways. 

Thoughts? 

2 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

I was thinking we needed to go by a name that's short, punchy, undeniably cool, and not at all directional. 

We should just call ourselves "Ace". Or maybe "Gunner". Short, tough, memorable, cool, and don't make any difference between up, down, or sideways. 

Thoughts? 

Don't really give a damn about your sarcasm. We just need to move away from North Texas. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 22

47 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Don't really give a damn about your sarcasm. We just need to move away from North Texas. 

I don't think our name sounds horrible.  I don't associate it with the mostly shit play we see when it comes to directional schools.

Ultimately, though, if the majority wanted the change then I would support it.  I just don't think the name sounds bad, and I still tell people our full name when they ask where I went.

To take my point a step further, I feel like hiding behind our letters somehow suggests that we are ashamed of who we are.  I would challenge our program to be proud of University of North Texas and triumph above this stigma you and some others associate with directional school football.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I don't know....it's worked out pretty well for The University of Southern California. I say why not us!  haha 

They refer to themselves as USC. 

3 hours ago, Quoner said:

This sentence could replace about 89% of your posts.

Did you research this? Seems arbitrary. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 12

52 minutes ago, THOR said:

in the 22 years since i first attended north texas, i have never referred to it as unt to anyone/anywhere/anyhow...unless replying to these effing posts...it will always be north texas

This. North Texas

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

We can't brand ourselves with directional verbage. Directionals are frowned upon by most everyone. 

I agree with you to a certain extent but when I mention USC that's what I was referring too. It works only if the region you are associated with has some prestige. Both Southern California and North Texas can be considered a prestigious region. You are right that some directional schools can't pull that off. In North Texas' case it probably regionally recognized more as UNT but if you go outside of that region unfortunately you'll probably have to say North Texas and I'm fine with that. 

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Well, belay my last. People seem to like directional Texas. Delete the thread. 

BG, you got treated like we do when have to go play the P5 whore game...you tried, but in the end, you probably knew yourself how this was gonna turn out.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

56 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

Give me a few more years.  My first year here was the last year of North Texas State Teachers College.  They had a switchboard then and if you called it they answered "North Texas".  My next year it was North Texas State College.  I came back from the service to finish and graduate from North Texas State College.  The next year we became North Texas State University (seven years after being set up as a university with schools and colleges rather than departments).  Finally, after 100 years we became known as the University of North Texas, or UNT for short.  But, to me, I went to North Texas.

I knew the University of Southern California as Southern Cal for most of my life and was a little a little miffed when they became known as USC because I thought USC might be University of South Carolina.  Changing their moniker to USC from Southern Cal didn't raise their stature an iota in my eyes.

We were blessed with a short state name, which to me, tolls trippingly off of the tongue.  Now, if we were dealing with California, Mississippi or Pennsylvania then I could see your problem.

Well said.  And since when is anybody or any institution from Texas ashamed to let other people know that?

• Upvote 1

I also think we ought to reconsider the city name. It's been 151 years, and the name "Denton" sounds old, lame, and tired. 

We need to rebrand, and make sure that announcers refer to our university's location as D-Town, D-Central, or maybe The D-Zone. If we want to get exxxtreme with it, maybe "Tha D-Zone". Swapping in an "a" in the word "the" will help us connect with young fans and athletes alike. 

Anyway... I just hope that Tha D-Zone leadership will finally pull their heads out of the ground and show some initiative. We can only go so far as a program until they do. 

9 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Or Southern Cal

Or often times just SC.

Down the corridor of years we've had quite a few names, the least objectionable of which is what all us alumni use.....North Texas. Jacks right, it trips off the tongue very naturally. Much more natural than NTSU or UNT. And as someone else said, you say North Texas and everyone knows what school you're talking about.

Legend has it that the "North" part of our name was a clerical error made when official papers were filed to make us a state school (yes, we were originally a private school). I've often wondered what our name would have ended up being today had that "error" not happened.

Anyway, at least our "direction" is a little more precise than the vague Southern California, or Southern Methodist, or Northwestern......Northwest of where? At least we don't have a non-direction like East Carolina..........there is no East Carolina. There's either Eastern North Carolina or Eastern South Carolina.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

I also think we ought to reconsider the city name. It's been 151 years, and the name "Denton" sounds old, lame, and tired. 

We need to rebrand, and make sure that announcers refer to our university's location as D-Town, D-Central, or maybe The D-Zone. If we want to get exxxtreme with it, maybe "Tha D-Zone". Swapping in an "a" in the word "the" will help us connect with young fans and athletes alike. 

Anyway... I just hope that Tha D-Zone leadership will finally pull their heads out of the ground and show some initiative. We can only go so far as a program until they do. 

My mortgage company recently announced that they would be changing their name from Nationstar Mortgage to mr. cooper. They are not even going to use upper case letters!  

The consultants that convinced them to change their name must be super edgy, to the max. I want to hang with mr. cooper! Surprised they didn't just go with a first name or even mr. c and be super edgy.

We need a catchy name like that in order to get attendance up.

I agree.  Stick to UNT. North Texas just has too much apathy attached to it. I prefer North Texas like everyone else, but I think it's smart to slowly sweep that under the mat. You'll find only resistance to UNT on these boards. Hell, half of these guys hate the change to Mean Green. 

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6