How to get people off the hill

greenjoe

On July 11, 2017 at 8:59 PM, KRAM1 said:

I used to be right there with you on this...until I saw what happened to attendance after our first HOD Bowl win when our attendance declined. For me this "win and they will come" concept just doesn't work for UNT.  I am just going to have to be proven wrong...and I hope I am because it would mean we are winning.

Maybe it should be "play in Dallas and they will come" if you look at "new attendees" at last two Heart of Dallas Bowls. Also a band dressed like a junior high in the first couple of games does nothing to promote school spirit. Yeah it's hot in Lubbock and and other places but their bands don't come dressed as if they played for tips on a street corner.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, DallasGreen said:

Maybe it should be "play in Dallas and they will come" if you look at "new attendees" at last two Heart of Dallas Bowls. Also a band dressed like a junior high in the first couple of games does nothing to promote school spirit. Yeah it's hot in Lubbock and and other places but their bands don't come dressed as if they played for tips on a street corner.

I thought you "boulevarded"

• Upvote 4

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:35 AM, casual fan said:

Simple fact: "Fans" who stay on the hill are not there for the football.

Better product, etc. doesn't really apply in their case.

Lots of Aggies, Bears and Bengal Tigers stay in the parking lots during their games too.  Hard to walk away from a nice, cool/warm RV with tons of food and cold/warm drinks and still watch the game of TV.  

20 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

The answer is trolling with the right bait. Dress her in green and pay her to walk around the hill and then into the stadium.

giphy.gif

if my memory does not fail me  .... there are quiet a few of these walking around the hill already.

• Upvote 1

Attendance is one thing I discuss with friends

you have to put in count that Texas is a state where football is practically a religion, and the whole mentality is that Texans only follow a team that wins. I believe that around 80%, theres factors as well such as loyalty, and those who watch the games for fun... I feel that this past season saw some larger crowds which new coaching helped with that. The thing I also notice is the conference in general, as much as I like Conference USA, we can all agree that their media deals, even though much better than the other group of 5 conferences, is still weak compared to those of the Power 5... You have to put in count that the bigger conferences tend to have larger followings and the name of the schools get more publicity to that of group of five. So that is, what I believe, to be one of the biggest factors.

Although i enjoy that BeIN is now in contract with the conference, and it is a sports station that is up and coming and popular already to soccer fans. As well as the ESPN 3 deal which could be an easy stepping stone to reaching the major ESPN outlets (ESPN, 2, and U)

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 0:41 AM, GreenMachine said:

Carpet bomb them with a low flying B-52

OR, if B-52's are not available. For those fans who are bringing their kids, just let them position themselves at the top of sections 215 and 315 with this.......

Image result for water balloon launcher images

and give them a prize for every water balloon they land on non-attendees drinking on "the Hill".

• Upvote 1

On 7/11/2017 at 6:18 PM, BTG_Fan1 said:

You wanna get people to come to the games... UNT has multiple big name musical Alumni's.... No idea what it costs or anything... Offer them to come do a pre-game, and a half-time concert..

You wanna get the attention of some recruits, and leave an nice little impression on them and get a nice crowd have Alicia keys, or some other come and preform. 

Name a performer, and I can match you with a dollar figure. Remember, you'll likely have to add $10-25k in adequate staging, backline, sound, et al at minimum.

On 7/13/2017 at 3:56 PM, untjim1995 said:

th?id=OIP.OrgeP4fWQPRX4CM2cBVtswEsBR&pid

I know you feel all smug with this, but you realize that the majority of those you posted were targeted at times they would be relevant (^in this case not when many sports are going on in late April), and to audiences who are seeking that out? It's selective advertising that runs at brief intervals.

Also, to @Ben Gooding: did you really try to make the false equivalency that liberals only hang out at clubs and hookah bars while conservatives are who fill stadia? Because if so, boy do I have some cognitive dissonance to sell ya.

• Upvote 6

Ben you need to stop with that political nonsense. If your logic was true, Cal-Berkeley arguably the most liberal school in the country wouldn't be putting 50k in the stadium(when they win of course), Stanford wouldn't be drawing huge numbers, Oregon wouldn't have one of the loudest stadiums in the country, Washington in the middle of Seattle of all places wouldn't have 80k in the stands and so on and so forth. 

I already explained the solution to the problem. Win, have a breakout player who is the face of the team and defines the style of football the team plays and everything else takes care of itself. 

Nothing else will work. 

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

I'll play.  How much for The Beach Boys.  Fun happy music that appeals to a certain extent to lots and lots of people. 

Likely $120,000 minimum, $2-5k for rider. By the way, they're playing the Majestic Theatre in Dallas on October 10. Tickets range from $85-555 less fees.

49 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I have 3 for you:
Zombie Prince
U2
The hobo that drums on a 5-gallon bucket off Carroll.

Zombie Prince: would likely need to come back via hologram á la Tupac at Coachella five years ago. That's going to be about $250k to produce for maybe 15' worth of content.

U2: Depends on the tour; their 360º Tour with the massive "Claw" set-up was likely $4 Million per arena venue.

Drumming hobo: a six pack.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Name a performer, and I can match you with a dollar figure. Remember, you'll likely have to add $10-25k in adequate staging, backline, sound, et al at minimum.

I know you feel all smug with this, but you realize that the majority of those you posted were targeted at times they would be relevant (^in this case not when many sports are going on in late April), and to audiences who are seeking that out? It's selective advertising that runs at brief intervals.

Also, to @Ben Gooding: did you really try to make the false equivalency that liberals only hang out at clubs and hookah bars while conservatives are who fill stadia? Because if so, boy do I have some cognitive dissonance to sell ya.

No specific demographic only does any single one thing. 

• Downvote 4

19 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

Likely $120,000 minimum, $2-5k for rider. By the way, they're playing the Majestic Theatre in Dallas on October 10. Tickets range from $85-555 less fees.

Zombie Prince: would likely need to come back via hologram á la Tupac at Coachella five years ago. That's going to be about $250k to produce for maybe 15' worth of content.

U2: Depends on the tour; their 360º Tour with the massive "Claw" set-up was likely $4 Million per arena venue.

Drumming hobo: a six pack.

I appreciate your time.

U2 is definitely out of our range.

Looks like we'll need to hit up some donors for a hologram Zombie Prince.  Would be an amazing show though, surely to get on the news.

Otherwise, I could personally fund a drumline of hobos if Wren Baker is interested.

I am honestly surprised that six years later, the only "concert" I can remember in Apogee was Reckless Kelly playing to nobody after the spring game in 2012. 

I'm not angry, or sharpening my pitchfork, or muttering "Same ole' UNT," or writing a condition to inheritance in my will that my heirs never step foot in Denton or anything.  

But I am surprised. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

I am honestly surprised that six years later, the only "concert" I can remember in Apogee was Reckless Kelly playing to nobody after the spring game in 2012. 

I'm not angry, or sharpening my pitchfork, or muttering "Same ole' UNT," or writing a condition to inheritance in my will that my heirs never step foot in Denton or anything.  

But I am surprised. 

Every July 4th, the Kiwanis' have a band before the fireworks show.  Therefore, 5 concerts.  Add Reckless Kelly at the spring game,  and the Eli Young Band after the Emerald Eagle this year, and that makes 7 concerts.  

So we are averaging about a concert a year with attendance being probably somewhere between 35 and 40 people when it starts, and then maybe 2500 in the stands about the time the concert is over and the fireworks start. 

There are live people, playing real instruments, piped through a real P.A. system with real microphones, so yeah they count as concerts.

If we are shooting for the stars.......Why not the Eagles with Vince Gill sitting in for Glenn.  That would be awesome.......Henley just might do it.

UNT90 posted so I thought I might come out of retirement for old time sakes.....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, flyonthewall said:

Every July 4th, the Kiwanis' have a band before the fireworks show.  Therefore, 5 concerts.  Add Reckless Kelly at the spring game,  and the Eli Young Band after the Emerald Eagle this year, and that makes 7 concerts.  

So we are averaging about a concert a year with attendance being probably somewhere between 35 and 40 people when it starts, and then maybe 2500 in the stands about the time the concert is over and the fireworks start. 

There are live people, playing real instruments, piped through a real P.A. system with real microphones, so yeah they count as concerts.

If we are shooting for the stars.......Why not the Eagles with Vince Gill sitting in for Glenn.  That would be awesome.......Henley just might do it.

UNT90 posted so I thought I might come out of retirement for old time sakes.....

Fair enough, but I was thinking more along the lines of whatever the hell they call the stadium in Frisco these days does with Edgefest and Jimmy Buffett as their own events outside athletics. There could very well be some university policy/redtape that either prohibits that or makes it unduly difficult.  Or maybe the team just needs the stadium so much that those kinds of events would intrude on practice.  

Post game concerts, I haven't really been aware of that being a thing anywhere since the Beach Boys used to play after A's games in 1981. 

• Upvote 1