How to get people off the hill

greenjoe

really????? That's what you've got? Back to the drawing board Jim. 

Tell me what part of this University's TV Spot  wreaks of liberal arts? 

And since when did the word "Creative" or "Creativity" insinuate liberal arts?  

Also one of the reasons our school stands out is how much fun Denton is so why not use that to our advantage?   People who want to go to school in a college town don't pick UTA or UTD over UNT.   There is nothing wrong with showing a concert in one of our billboards to show that college is better in a town that parties. 

CPsXXocVAAAqq28.jpg

C6HwkPBUsAAKDO-.jpg

unt+advertisement.jpg

Sorry Jim. You've got a bias.  Just like Ben over there calling UNT an "extremely liberal university".  No Ben... it's not an "extremely liberal university" but it might be considered liberal.  "Extremely liberal university" would be down the street at Austin College.  

We aren't a Research school in West Texas or an Engineering/Vet School in East Texas.  We were built as a Teacher's College and have expanded from there.  They have spent quite a bit of effort trying to increase our recognition for the Business School and Science related degrees.  

If you think the school publicly promotes way to much of the liberal arts studies then you have some blinders on.  If anything I think we cater too much to the "just get into college for anything" types.

Make it easier to get in the game.  Students are lazy.  Get in with a student ID.  No need to wait in lines for tickets.  Once the stadium starts getting filled and demand increases, then you can start to make students have tickets.

Yes, you will have students sneaking friends in, high school students sneaking in, borrowing IDs, etc...but pack the stadium and bring the party inside.  Once they get used to going to games, then start regulating.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

Make it easier to get in the game.  Students are lazy.  Get in with a student ID.  No need to wait in lines for tickets.  Once the stadium starts getting filled and demand increases, then you can start to make students have tickets.

Yes, you will have students sneaking friends in, high school students sneaking in, borrowing IDs, etc...but pack the stadium and bring the party inside.  Once they get used to going to games, then start regulating.

Better yet, let the students/frats bring in Kegs!

Also, go back to the throwing of the Tortillas! I remember when we did the bowl runs and I was like 12-13. When we would score, the goal within our group of people we went to the game with was to see who could toss it the farthest! 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, All About UNT said:

Also one of the reasons our school stands out is how much fun Denton is so why not use that to our advantage?   People who want to go to school in a college town don't pick UTA or UTD over UNT.   There is nothing wrong with showing a concert in one of our billboards to show that college is better in a town that parties. 

CPsXXocVAAAqq28.jpg

C6HwkPBUsAAKDO-.jpg

unt+advertisement.jpg

Sorry Jim. You've got a bias.  Just like Ben over there calling UNT an "extremely liberal university".  No Ben... it's not an "extremely liberal university" but it might be considered liberal.  "Extremely liberal university" would be down the street at Austin College.  

We aren't a Research school in West Texas or an Engineering/Vet School in East Texas.  We were built as a Teacher's College and have expanded from there.  They have spent quite a bit of effort trying to increase our recognition for the Business School and Science related degrees.  

If you think the school publicly promotes way to much of the liberal arts studies then you have some blinders on.  If anything I think we cater too much to the "just get into college for anything" types.

The argument is still about music/arts/low cost for tuition being the primary window over athletics. Nothing you've noted has changed that point.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, All About UNT said:

Cool. Show me the billboards that talk about the One O'clock Jazz band?  Or TV commercials fixated on our music program.  Matter of fact.... most commercials show the business building and Chemistry/Forensic Labs and are very balanced.  Go ahead.... we'll wait.  Lmao.

Commercials show the newest and most modern buildings on campus? Wow, who knew. 

7 hours ago, All About UNT said:

CPsXXocVAAAqq28.jpg

C6HwkPBUsAAKDO-.jpg

unt+advertisement.jpg

Not sure how long ago it was you went to school, but UNT is liberal as fuuuuuu. From the professors to the students to the recently graduated alum. Which is fine and dandy, it makes me no difference. But, this particular demographic would far more likely be found at a hookah lounge than at a football game on a Saturday evening. Not even sure why you're arguing this point. I didn't pull it out of thin air. We aren't referred to as little Austin just for shits and giggles. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 8

9 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Not sure how long ago it was you went to school, but UNT is liberal as fuuuuuu. From the professors to the students to the recently graduated alum. Which is fine and dandy, it makes me no difference. But, this particular demographic would far more likely be found at a hookah lounge than at a football game on a Saturday evening. Not even sure why you're arguing this point. I didn't pull it out of thin air. We aren't referred to as little Austin just for shits and giggles. 

I know UT/Austin is extremely liberal, as well as their professors and administration.  It is what Austin hangs its hat on and they pull 80,000+ to their games.  I don't think that has a lot to do with it...oh,  you're talking about UNT/Denton.

Point being, you can have a "liberal" campus, UT, Stanford, Cal, etc..., or a more conservative campus, A$M, and still draw crowds.  Just be successful and win consistently against teams people care about.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, rws69 said:

Same response I just added to a post about the band in shorts and tees. When I was a student, heat was not an issue because games started at 7:00 standard time - equivalent to 8:00 today with daylight time.

What would a later start bring? For students in campus housing, time to eat (already paid for) meal before walking to Apogee. For Greeks and others on the hill, takes away some of the comfort difference due to heat in stadium plus it gets dark sooner after game starts. For people in club level, opportunity for pre-game buffet closer to a normal supper time. (Many are still eating when games start now.) 

One drawback would be later home for those an hour or so away. I am 30 minutes away, but this would not bother me.

This is not a complete solution, but it may help.i

update: Just saw 5:30 (gasp) for home start times in September and October, except Lamar. Ouch!

I posted in the other thread that I don't seem to remember Denton/Texas ignoring Daylight Savings time.  Are  you sure about that?

1 hour ago, Cougar King said:

UNT has to beat whoever is put in front of them and they need a breakout player to be the face of the team. It worked for us (Ware, Klingler, Kolb, Keenum, Ward and now Oliver) and now we don't get anything under 30k and many games at or over 40k.

If UNT doesn't do that then things will never change, no matter what silly gimmicks are used.

First thing you've ever posted that I've given a +1 to, but you're spot on.  Win, win consistently recruit one or two big time kids a year and you're on your way to G5 bliss. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cougar King said:

UNT has to beat whoever is put in front of them and they need a breakout player to be the face of the team. It worked for us (Ware, Klingler, Kolb, Keenum, Ward and now Oliver) and now we don't get anything under 30k and many games at or over 40k.

If UNT doesn't do that then things will never change, no matter what silly gimmicks are used.

Agreed.

On 7/12/2017 at 0:17 PM, TheTastyGreek said:

Someone on the hill is more appealing to me than the same someone in their dorm or house. Try to make that hangout less attractive to them, and you'll probably push 9 out of 10 of them away from the stadium, not into it. 

Agree. There will always be a segment of people that prefer the pageantry of the game rather than the actual game. That is fine. To turn casual folks into football fans is hard and it begins with winning. 

Also, @Ben Gooding is right about 2014. The opening Texas loss, the four game losing streak -- those really killed any momentum from 2013. Oh, and the home opener against SMU was played at 11am in the hottest sun that could ever be. If there was ever an opportunity lost, it was then. What fans that made it out left early or stayed in the shade to prevent death. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Cougar King said:

UNT has to beat whoever is put in front of them and they need a breakout player to be the face of the team.

If Jamario Thomas had stayed healthy I think he would have been that player for us.  People who didn't see a healthy JT missed something special, he was a step above anyone else I ever saw in a North Texas uniform, including Lance.  

51 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

If Jamario Thomas had stayed healthy I think he would have been that player for us.  People who didn't see a healthy JT missed something special, he was a step above anyone else I ever saw in a North Texas uniform, including Lance.  

Completely agree. Freshman Jamario is the best UNT player I've ever seen.

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, Quoner said:

I'm talking more about the early parts of a career in sports. It's a crowded field that has no incentive to compensate people at lower levels, yet can also demand a masters degree of them at the same time for some unknown reason. It's something I used to argue for in the past and used to think would be a solution, but having people who know how to run a business correctly with a passion for this university seems more important in the long run. I would love to be wrong and see our students take off and kill it in leadership positions across pro, college and minor league sports, but there's a lot of reasons to be skeptical of something this late in the game and with the long-term future of the sports bubble falling into question is all. 

Well, you know, because every starting job right out of college pays upwards of $100,000 with a VP's title to go along with it. No one need spend any time gaining experience and on the job knowledge. They know all they need to know the day they graduate.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

If I were running the show, I'd introduce the starting crowd for today's game.  I'd have every organization let the department know that they were going to be there and give them a shout out during the first quarter.  'And now ladies and gentlemen, introducing the starting crowd for today's game....Talons, Green Brigade, Lambda Chi Alpha, West Dorm, Eagle Club, etc.  Everyone wants some recognition.  You could do it on the electronic board, but over PA would be great.  When each group heard their group mention, they would stand and cheer.  We did it for a basketball promotion way back when.  Of course, if you say you are going to be there, don't embarrass your organization by not being in your seats.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Well, you know, because every starting job right out of college pays upwards of $100,000 with a VP's title to go along with it. No one need spend any time gaining experience and on the job knowledge. They know all they need to know the day they graduate.

It's true - the options are $25K or $100K - not a lot of room in between. Fun project idea: a salary survey of associate AD level employees or pro sports management positions with a decade or so of experience vs. starting positions in a few business concentrations. There are some valid reasons to go into sports as a career, but pay is just not one of them.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

On 7/13/2017 at 11:30 PM, Ben Gooding said:

Commercials show the newest and most modern buildings on campus? Wow, who knew. 

The business and engineering departments are the 2 largest dept on campus. Why the F would you want NT to be known as a liberal college anyway?

On 7/14/2017 at 8:58 AM, UNTLifer said:

I posted in the other thread that I don't seem to remember Denton/Texas ignoring Daylight Savings time.  Are  you sure about that?

I am referring to the last half of the 60's when I was at NT. DST was not adopted until sometime in 70's.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1