North Texas Will Struggle To Fly In Loaded Conference USA

Harry

Fall practices are fast approaching, but UNT has adapted leadership and team bonding exercises this summer. Behold, “The House of Pain”:

No this isn’t “Kid Nation” — although I am curious what that kid is doing on his belly, rocking back and forth like a wobbly boat. His inconsistent movements mirrored North Texas last season; one of only five other Texas FBS programs that qualified for the postseason, the Mean Green received an invitation from the Heart of Dallas Bowl on the merits of their academic standing, despite only notching five victories.

The program had highs — beating Army early in the season — and also had lows — losing to Army in a 38-31 overtime in the postseason. A long history of losing — one winning season since 2004 — has perpetually sunk the Mean Green to the bottom brackets of C-USA; six other conference programs are expected to make postseason this upcoming season, according to Athlon and Sporting News national publications, respectively.

read more:  http://texashsfootball.com/north-texas-will-struggle-fly-loaded-conference-usa/

56 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

All we can do is do our best and prove them wrong. I'm hoping for a 6-6 season. But would just be happy with beating their prediction and going 5-7.

Nothing against you. You seem to be an enthusiastic fan with a lot of hope. But I don't give a damn who anyone roots for, these 2 things should never be in sync with one another. 

To me, 6-6 or massive bust. Six and six is not 10-2. It's not CUSA Champs. It's not bowl champs. It's not national recognition. It's not new years bowl bid. It's simply being able to drugde through the schedule while winning and losing an equal amount. 6-6 or bust. No other way to look at it. 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 5

This has all the looks of a transitional year.  And he is right, there will be some tough programs to beat in C-USA.

I like to look at the eastern C-USA draw which has been a tough one for us in years past with Marshall, MUTS and WKU (2015-16). 

This year, with the UAB restart as a west partner, we go down to two eastern opponents, ODU and FAU.  ODU is tough and FAU under Kiffen should be improved.  UAB scares the hell out of me even after being shut down, cause they have that same coach and he can recruit the jucos.  Tech will be strong, Rice is improving, UTSA is always a tough game, USM won't have a green QB and UTEP beat us to death last year with their ground pound.  Army evidently screws the whole thing up with their veer run offense we have to prepare for.  SMU has their best team period under Chad Morris and they have a nice easy schedule other than TCU.  This is just a very challenging schedule for us -- no way to sugarcoat it.  I would love to see 6 wins but who would they be realistically?  Will we be improved - absolutely.  How much is the key question. 

It's tough to figure how we make this win total improvement in 2017 but I remain hopeful.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

This has all the looks of a transitional year.  And he is right, there will be some tough programs to beat in C-USA.

I like to look at the eastern C-USA draw which has been a tough one for us in years past with Marshall, MUTS and WKU (2015-16). 

This year, with the UAB restart as a west partner, we go down to two eastern opponents, ODU and FAU.  ODU is tough and FAU under Kiffen should be improved.  UAB scares the hell out of me even after being shut down, cause they have that same coach and he can recruit the jucos.  Tech will be strong, Rice is improving, UTSA is always a tough game, USM won't have a green QB and UTEP beat us to death last year with their ground pound.  Army evidently screws the whole thing up with their veer run offense we have to prepare for.  SMU has their best team period under Chad Morris and they have a nice easy schedule other than TCU.  This is just a very challenging schedule for us -- no way to sugarcoat it.  I would love to see 6 wins but who would they be realistically?  Will we be improved - absolutely.  How much is the key question. 

It's tough to figure how we make this win total improvement in 2017 but I remain hopeful.

I don't see this as a transitional season. Littrell hit the jucos to shore up the O-line and WRs. Although our recruiting seems to lag behind where we want it, Littrell has snatched some quality under the radar guys (Bussey, Ham-Bone, Wheeler). I also see Fine improving this season. Last season's schedule was much tougher. I see a path to 7 wins this year. Maybe more. ODU, lost a lot from last season's team. UAB hasn't played a game in 3 years. Kiffen will need time to get FAU hitting on all cylinders, and he could go down in a scandal before that ever happens. Morris has yet to deliver a winning season at SMU.

I like what I saw from our defense during the spring, and I believe we have guys at every offensive skill position ready to post breakout seasons.

• Upvote 6

19 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

I don't see this as a transitional season. Littrell hit the jucos to shore up the O-line and WRs. Although our recruiting seems to lag behind where we want it, Littrell has snatched some quality under the radar guys (Bussey, Ham-Bone, Wheeler). I also see Fine improving this season. Last season's schedule was much tougher. I see a path to 7 wins this year. Maybe more. ODU, lost a lot from last season's team. UAB hasn't played a game in 3 years. Kiffen will need time to get FAU hitting on all cylinders, and he could go down in a scandal before that ever happens. Morris has yet to deliver a winning season at SMU.

I like what I saw from our defense during the spring, and I believe we have guys at every offensive skill position ready to post breakout seasons.

I hope you are right.  If there were 7 wins which teams would they be in your opinion?   I say best chances are Lamar, Rice, UTEP, UAB, UTSA, FAU and Army.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I hope you are right.  If there were 7 wins which teams would they be in your opinion?   I say best chances are Lamar, Rice, UTEP, UAB, UTSA, FAU and Army.

Same 7 you have...

Lamar- FCS

UAB- Restarting football, at home, and early in the season.

UTSA- I will always expect our coaches to win this game. Sadly, only Canales has been able to do that.

FAU- Kiffen needs more than half a season to fix FAU.

UTEP- Only return 3 starters on offense, and their great RB isn't one of them.

Army- They are what they are, and we are improving.

Rice- Only return their O-line on offense.

Toss Ups

SMU- Morris is 7-17 at SMU.

ODU- Lost their good starting QB and their entire LB corp. Plus, we get them at home.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 3

If at the end of the season I honestly feel the team has improved I'll say it was a successful season - regardless of number of wins.  Hopefully, playing better will result in more wins, but that ain't necessarily true.

• Upvote 1

IMO our offense will be improved but not drastically. I think we're looking at an offense that will struggle to be top 100 in scoring.

I think our defense will make a bigger jump this season but it's likely the stats won't show it because the offense will sputter leaving them on the field for far too long at times.

I think 6-6 is the ceiling for me personally. 4-8 or 5-7 seems more likely.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

IMO our offense will be improved but not drastically. I think we're looking at an offense that will struggle to be top 100 in scoring.

I think our defense will make a bigger jump this season but it's likely the stats won't show it because the offense will sputter leaving them on the field for far too long at times.

I think 6-6 is the ceiling for me personally. 4-8 or 5-7 seems more likely.

In PPG we were 101st. I hope there is enough improvement to get us to top 100. If not, we're in trouble and so is this staff. I think we'll be better on O regardless of who the QB is. There are more weapons on O and more experience along the OL. I think our 3rd down D will be better as well, and this will give the O more opportunities. 6-6 is not an unrealistic bar this year, or any year. That should be the floor for us all...alum, AD, Prez, coaching staff, and players. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think that it is going to depend more on the quarterback than the offensive line.  A pro OL couldn't be constantly giving the quarterback six to eight seconds protection while he tries to find a receiver; especially when there are often more rushers than blockers.  Fine ( or whoever plays quarterback) is going to have about two or three seconds to decide to keep from taking sacks.

• Upvote 1

This season will come down to the OL and if they can improve and on the QB. 

If the OL can just be average and not give up as much pressure that will help the QBs. 

QB play will be important because Fine has to show progression. The WRs will be better this year than last. 

Guyton, Rico, Griffin over Goree, TT, and Buyers. 

TT was solid of the 3 and Buyers was a leadership guy who Jeff Wilson will replace. Goree was not anything special. 

Look at even th b st offensive plays by Fine last year.  Much of it was his adjustments to a line that was being penetrated extremely early.

to me it's all on the oline and the 1b is Fine's QB IQ development.  If he can use QB draws and quick outs to beat the rush he will aid the oline and keep the defense honest.

On 7/8/2017 at 11:03 AM, Ben Gooding said:

6-6 is not an unrealistic bar this year, or any year. That should be the floor for us all...alum, AD, Prez, coaching staff, and players. 

Agreed. I'm hoping for another bowl birth and if we get in on a technicality so be it. 

1 minute ago, Side Show Joe said:

I hope you're wrong. I like Littrell, but I refuse to give any coach a pass on UTSA.

I also hope I'm wrong.

UTSA beat us pretty easily last year, and they recruited better than us. People think we'll improve, but others won't. UTSA will improve and probably will beat us at a tune of 36-14 or so

Facts are facts. I hate it but I just can't be that optimistic

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I also hope I'm wrong.

UTSA beat us pretty easily last year, and they recruited better than us. People think we'll improve, but others won't. UTSA will improve and probably will beat us at a tune of 36-14 or so

Facts are facts. I hate it but I just can't be that optimistic

IMO, losing in any capacity to UTSA is unacceptable. If we get blown out like that, then someone should be held accountable.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1