2018 QB Kason Martin Breaks Down His Commitment to North Texas

Harry

COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- Kason Martin, a 2018 quarterback from Texas powerhouse Manvel, breaks down his commitment to North Texas.

Manvel High School produces as much FBS talent as almost any program in the state of Texas, and the 2018 class is no different.

Kason Martin will be the trigger man for Manvel's offense this fall and has already made his college commitment. North Texas landed the 6-foot-3, 182-pounder in mid-June.

"North Texas was my first offer. The whole coaching staff really felt like a family," said Martin, whose father Kirk is the head coach at Manvel. "(Special teams coordinator) coach (Marty) Biagi was the guy who was really selling me to the coaches. When (offensive coordinator) coach (Graham) Harrell sat down and watched my film, he was like, 'Why haven't we offered this guy yet?'

"He told me that I reminded him of him when he was young and that just really meant a lot. I grew up watching Graham Harrell at Texas Tech and he's been my childhood idol for a really long time. I really felt like it was a really great fit."

Read more:  http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1789197-2018-qb-talks-pledge-to-unt

1 minute ago, GreenMachine said:

why would you assume he is blueshirting?

Because trend shows that when the kid blueshirts they won't announce it on twitter. See Bean's commitment. UNTGridiron tweeted out a commitment from 469 area code. With Martin(and other blueshirts) the staff never formally announces it on twitter

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Because trend shows that when the kid blueshirts they won't announce it on twitter. See Bean's commitment. UNTGridiron tweeted out a commitment from 469 area code. With Martin(and other blueshirts) the staff never formally announces it on twitter

Because they can't

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2016/1/28/10842688/ncaa-football-grayshirt-blueshirt-redshirt-rules

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

4 hours ago, GMG24 said:

He isnt a blue shirt from what I was told.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, GMG24 said:

That article makes it sound like BS HS players, are not able to play their 1st year... is this true?

4 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

He isnt a blue shirt from what I was told.

Interesting that they are must really like both kids to bring in both and just not 1 or the other.

Also that we are doing that with a the around 20 scholarships that we have. 

"I had no idea how big the campus was until I got out there. I didn't know it was one of the largest schools in Texas," Martin said. "That really kinda blew my mind because there are a lot of big schools out there.

"It's a big school and I ate some really good food out there, too, so that was pretty good. Their stadium, it's beautiful."

Another telling quote from a HS kid that shows how poorly our past staff's recruited.  We have got to get kids on campus otherwise they just lump us in the SFA, Sam Houston group.  Especially true with kids from outside the DFW area. Not sure why this was included in the quote box.  Tried to edit, didn't work so bolded my comment.  This is not only a failure of past AD's marketing but also by UNT's marketing as a whole.  We have a lot to offer and should be telling everyone.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2