Moore is 99-for-99 in extra points at North Texas

Harry

DENTON, Texas - Certain positions within programs can easily be overlooked or taken for granted. In some cases, that distinction falls on kickers. North Texas has one of the greatest the program has ever had, and one of the best in the country in senior Trevor Moore. The Edmond native is a perfect 99-for-99 on extra points, and holds the school record for field goal percentage (75.0%) through the first three years of his career.

In total, Moore sits atop seven statistical categories in school history heading into his final season in Denton. In addition to field goal percentage in a single season as well as career and most consecutive extra points made, Moore also is the leader in extra point percentage in a single season as well as career (100%), extra points made in a single game (11 against Nicholls in 2014) and field goals made in a single game (five against SMU in 2014).

"I've always been grateful for the success that I've had so far since I've been here at North Texas," Moore said. "I wouldn't be able to do it without the trust from my teammates and the coaches. Leading in seven categories is a great honor and really means a lot to me as an individual, but I wouldn't have these honors if it wasn't for the guys around me pushing me every day to be better. I know my position can help the team win games and that's what it is really all about, helping the team any way that I can."

read more:  http://www.edmondsun.com/sports/moore-is--for--in-extra-points-at-north/article_2fd491b8-601d-11e7-979e-8bac7e318b09.html

We have been blessed with a number of great kickers through the years, Bazaldua, Ball, Chapman, Khoury, etc..., so to lead in 7 catagories says something.  My one wish would be for a little stronger leg, but he has been great his entire career.

Just now, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Agreed, much better then when i was in school during the dodge years. Anyone remember Jeremy Knott so good?

Knott was a disappointment considering he was a JUCO All American.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Agreed, much better then when i was in school during the dodge years. Anyone remember Jeremy Knott so good?

I try to avoid mentioning him, particularly with the moniker Jeremy Knott Good. It's difficult for me to fault a kid for going out for the team.  I put it squarely on Dodge's shoulders for taking him on and pretty much having total and utter disregard for special teams and not bothering to develop him. 

• Upvote 1

Was Knott the kicker during that infamous FIU thriller* that went through 49 overtimes and a morning breakfast?

*and by 'thriller' I mean the ladies in our party had time to leave, go eat dinner, return and question "Oh God y'all are really still here?"

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, greenminer said:

Was Knott the kicker during that infamous FIU thriller* that went through 49 overtimes and a morning breakfast?

*and by 'thriller' I mean the ladies in our party had time to leave, go eat dinner, return and question "Oh God y'all are really still here?"

No.  That was before Knott's time. 

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/100806aaa.html

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Makes me wonder when the NCAA will adopt the NFL's new extra point distance. I feel it's been a success for the NFL and has added some drama to the games.  

NCAA is too busy NOT giving penalties to and reviewing player waivers approvals for Power 5 schools to deal with such.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If Morris had been our kicker, he'd have been 100 for 99. 

14 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Makes me wonder when the NCAA will adopt the NFL's new extra point distance. I feel it's been a success for the NFL and has added some drama to the games.  

I'm gonna say never. I don't have the stats in front of me, but as a whole, NCAA kickers are nowhere near as accurate as the guys in the NFL. There's honestly not enough guys you can count on to make 30-yd field goals consistently. People would lose their shit. 

20 hours ago, LongJim said:

NFL will give him a look, for sure.

He needs to add some leg strength to be really considered. To many kicks seem to float at times, but it could be just selective memory from me. 

Will help having an offense that can move the ball as well.

On 7/5/2017 at 6:39 AM, LongJim said:

NFL will give him a look, for sure.

I hope so because I wish that for all of our players, but being objective, he needs to increase his leg strength and accuracy on field goals.

8 hours ago, Monkeypox said:

I'm gonna say never. I don't have the stats in front of me, but as a whole, NCAA kickers are nowhere near as accurate as the guys in the NFL. There's honestly not enough guys you can count on to make 30-yd field goals consistently. People would lose their shit. 

This is so true..Alabama hasn't had a decent kicker in years.  That baffles me.  If you are a "GOOD" kicker, why wouldn't you go to a team that competes for a NC every year?  That is Sabans weakness.....  Kickers can win or lose at least 1 game per year.....

9 hours ago, Monkeypox said:

I think that's the point though. To get more teams thinking about going for two rather than their kicker shank a 32 yd extra point.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2015/05/26/college-football-pat-rules-punt-pass-pork