QB's Current and Coming Soon

Well, they've already moved Chumley to TE/H-back (where he should have been in the beginning) and he's going to potentially be a star there. Conner Means (according to the roster) has been moved to RB. He was mostly suited up in the spring, but they didn't let him take any hits because he was still officially rehabbing. And that is too bad because I was looking forward to seeing how he did at the position. I've watched him scramble when he was still at QB, and the guy is both fast and elusive.

That leaves Fine, Shanbour, Pearson  Isadore, and O'Hara.

When O'Hara was getting reps last spring/fall he didn't impress me with his speed or niftiness as a runner. He would have to bulk up to play just about any other position.

Since Isadore was mainly rehabbing it was hard to assess his running ability. He looks pretty athletic, so I'm going to guess that he could make it as a WR. If he played on defense he would probably play safety.....maybe LB.

Pearson is fast enough to play WR or possibly DB. He got off at least one long run during one of the pre-spring game scrimmages, but he had a pretty open field for the first 15 -20 yards and he had gained a lot of speed/momentum at that point. So he has speed, but not all that much quickness....which is not a good thing for a RB.

Shanbour, has the speed and quickness to be either a slot receiver or a RB. He could also play CB or Safety. During one of the pre-spring game scrimmages held at Apogee I met Q. Shanbours grandfather. He told me that he was a coach/teacher by profession. In giving me his grandson's football history (in proud grandfather style) he mentioned that one of QS's high school coaches wanted to play him at linebacker....which prompted the family to move him to another school. Mr. Shanbour also showed me his crooked little finger that got broken when he was playing catch with his grandson. He had not anticipated the "heat" his grandson was going to put on the ball. He said that QS was 12 years old at the time.

Fine is about a half step behind Shanbour in speed, and my assessment is pretty much the same for him....slot receiver/RB/DB.

• Upvote 4

I advocated shifting Fine to WR last year.  He's a far better runner than passer.  Said last year that he could develop into a great Wes Welker/Danny Amendola/Julian Edelman-type in this offense.  A real playmaker in open spaces.

With his attitude, I'd also love to see Fine given at shot a returning punts as well if he moves to WR.  

I know these ideas are not popular with the pro-Fine QB crowd.  Going way back, I also said the same thing about Riley Dodge.  I just think both were great high school athletes, but their size caused too many injuries for them at this college level.  

To me, this is simply recognizing what you have on your roster and what you can best do with it.  Vizza, to me and many others, was a better QB than Riley.  Vizza took a sh*t ton of hits because Dad Dodge insisted on running his high school version of the spread where the QB was left hung out to dry on almost every pass play.  

If Dad Dodge had thrown more H-Back/Fullback/TE packages to pass block...?  What was the ceiling for Vizza?  As much as he connected with Fitzgerald, imagine Riley in that role Fitzgerald played for two/three years with Vizza!

F*cking f*ck.  Yes, if you've got an athletic QB who isn't the best passer, get him somewhere else he can help so that he doesn't get down on himself or the program and quit or transfer.  

Vizza transferring to A&M...look, it's just a different level,  He was never going to play there.  What a waste of two talents, Vizza and Little Dodge. 

4 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Well, they've already moved Chumley to TE/H-back (where he should have been in the beginning) and he's going to potentially be a star there. Conner Means (according to the roster) has been moved to RB. He was mostly suited up in the spring, but they didn't let him take any hits because he was still officially rehabbing. And that is too bad because I was looking forward to seeing how he did at the position. I've watched him scramble when he was still at QB, and the guy is both fast and elusive.

That leaves Fine, Shanbour, Pearson  Isadore, and O'Hara.

When O'Hara was getting reps last spring/fall he didn't impress me with his speed or niftiness as a runner. He would have to bulk up to play just about any other position.

Since Isadore was mainly rehabbing it was hard to assess his running ability. He looks pretty athletic, so I'm going to guess that he could make it as a WR. If he played on defense he would probably play safety.....maybe LB.

Pearson is fast enough to play WR or possibly DB. He got off at least one long run during one of the pre-spring game scrimmages, but he had a pretty open field for the first 15 -20 yards and he had gained a lot of speed/momentum at that point. So he has speed, but not all that much quickness....which is not a good thing for a RB.

Shanbour, has the speed and quickness to be either a slot receiver or a RB. He could also play CB or Safety. During one of the pre-spring game scrimmages held at Apogee I met Q. Shanbours grandfather. He told me that he was a coach/teacher by profession. In giving me his grandson's football history (in proud grandfather style) he mentioned that one of QS's high school coaches wanted to play him at linebacker....which prompted the family to move him to another school. Mr. Shanbour also showed me his crooked little finger that got broken when he was playing catch with his grandson. He had not anticipated the "heat" his grandson was going to put on the ball. He said that QS was 12 years old at the time.

Fine is about a half step behind Shanbour in speed, and my assessment is pretty much the same for him....slot receiver/RB/DB.

This guy was temporarily a pretty good QB turned LB:  https://twitter.com/mike_stojkovic?lang=en

(SIDENOTE:  Further down this guys twitter, you've got Marcus Trice attributing the quote "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" to...Lauryn Hill?  Come on, Marcus...seriously.  Do they not have kids read any literature written before 1960 anymore in college?)

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1