North Texas vs. Southern Miss (Locker Room Edition)

cdizzle86

We really missed a great chance here. The new locker room is just meh. Not bad by any means, but absolutely not a selling point. This could ( and should) have been one of our biggest eye catchers to high school recruits. The old schoolers that say it doesn't matter are way off. Football is not an I formation run the ball, no name on the back of the plain jerseys anymore. It's all about flash, from the on field product to facilities to uniforms. If you are flashy you don't stand out. Our history of on field product is not a selling point so our brand new facilities should have been one, and hopefully our unis will be. 

• Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

We really missed a great chance here. The new locker room is just meh. Not bad by any means, but absolutely not a selling point. This could ( and should) have been one of our biggest eye catchers to high school recruits. The old schoolers that say it doesn't matter are way off. Football is not an I formation run the ball, no name on the back of the plain jerseys anymore. It's all about flash, from the on field product to facilities to uniforms. If you are flashy you don't stand out. Our history of on field product is not a selling point so our brand new facilities should have been one, and hopefully our unis will be. 

We could do minor inexpensive tweaks that could really boost that locker room. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Just as kids like the multiple choices of uniforms and non-traditional uniforms, having a locker room that is state of the art is important. We need to make it (locker room) a place recruits will talk about and players will brag about.

I agree with Ben (did I really say that) this is a project that the AD needs to find the money to make it happen and do it fast!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

I didn't hate the new UNT lockers when I first saw them but I didn't love them...  however now, when I look at them compared against USM's...

What's the saying ... You don't know what you don't know until you know what you know now!

Now that we know ... Damn!!

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, cdizzle86 said:

I don't not mean to parlay this discussion into a donor issue, but luxuries such as these comes down to donations. I've stated several times that I'm willing to give to the athletic dept. but I live out of town (like many others) and just don't get anything out of the current membership levels.

Wren and team need to create a level for out of towners that gives them access to rewards that cater towards people who can't make it to every game.

I'm literally telling the athletic dept how to take my money....

I'm more than willing to donate, but I'm not donating to garbage...Like green eyeballs. Give me a concrete capital plan, and I'll donate to it. Otherwise, psh. Especially with these new-ish and expensive made up executive jobs...It's a turn off to give my money to the such. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

4 hours ago, cdizzle86 said:

Haven't seen this video before, but came across it earlier today. Some may give the excuse that locker room appearance doesn't help recruiting, but I beg to differ. Look how excited the Southern Miss players are!

North Texas

Southern Miss

This is quite embarrassing that we "renovated" our locker rooms and they are no better than the local high school locker rooms. I went to a small 3A school (now in the new 4A) and our lockers/locker room were very comparable. And we had an indoor facility. 

• Upvote 3

The Southern Miss players are just excited to have indoor plumbing!

Seriously, I agree.  We need flash with pics or Orr, Robertson, Dunbar and Olazwe (sp?) In their pro gear, Cobbs too.  Add a pic of Brelan running away from the LSU defenders or the Georgia kick coverage, etc...  Should not be too difficult.

• Upvote 1

Hold on... I could have sworn that we pulled the trigger on a revision to that remodel since WB arrived?  This remodel is from RV and I remember laughing about it in comparison with the USM and other remodels in place that occurred at the same time around the CUSA.  I really thought we had approved a remodel for the FB Locker Room since WB got here 

6 hours ago, All About UNT said:

Hold on... I could have sworn that we pulled the trigger on a revision to that remodel since WB arrived?  This remodel is from RV and I remember laughing about it in comparison with the USM and other remodels in place that occurred at the same time around the CUSA.  I really thought we had approved a remodel for the FB Locker Room since WB got here 

I kind of thought the samd thing, but this tweet is from March. It's dumb how the little things aren't taken on and taken care of. The panel ceiling and fluorescent lights should have been the first to go. Everything should be green and white and there has to be better lighting effects. 

*No more green eyeballs 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

This is quite embarrassing that we "renovated" our locker rooms and they are no better than the local high school locker rooms. I went to a small 3A school (now in the new 4A) and our lockers/locker room were very comparable. And we had an indoor facility. 

One of the best in the G5 is Miami, OH.

Our athletic department needs someone in charge of aesthetics and design that can not only travel the country and try to copy what others are doing, but work to create innovative and original ways of expressing our brand, not only for our players, students, and community, but as a way of showcasing North Texas to the nation.

We shouldn't simple hope to have a locker room as nice as Southern Miss. That is playing catch-up. We should aspire to building one that makes theirs look like my old middle school's.

I'd take the job.

Edited by Side Show Joe

8 hours ago, All About UNT said:

RV got the funds (I think he unveiled at the PSU game?) for renovations for different projects, and this was one of them.

Not sure at what point this project started and when WB was hired, but this was the past administration's project.

While this sucks that it wasn't "done right" from the onset, there are a host of other infrastructure projects that need work (according to The Report) that I wouldn't mind seeing this take a backseat to.

It looks like the locker room arms race has dropped down to the G5 schools.   There is a lot to be proud of regarding the facilities work that has been done at NT over the last 10 years. However, our "new" locker room pictures need to be yanked from all publications and media ASAP.