Name your breakout player for 2017

Harry

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

I sincerely hope you're right. Even close to being right, really. 

I hate the summer. So close, but so far. 

I liked Wilsons HS tape, but I literally jumped up and down when I found out Smith signed with us.  Kid is special. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I liked Wilsons HS tape, but I literally jumped up and down when I found out Smith signed with us.  Kid is special. 

He may be the best thing to happen to Wilson then...Having a back as good as him that can help carry the load to keep the injury odds down. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

So you're saying he's going to beat Wilson for the starting job during fall practice?

No sir, Wilson the man Smith the man jr.  Pushing the man at every step.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Aldo said:

My taek for the top 3 WRs to combine for over 1,800 yards is pretty aggressive, imo.

The ball's gonna get spread about.

Yeah you gotta count on at least half our passes going out to our patented RB swing pass.

Mark my words, the swing pass will be to Seth Littrell what the draw was to Dickey

3 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Yeah you gotta count on at least half our passes going out to our patented RB swing pass.

Mark my words, the swing pass will be to Seth Littrell what the draw was to Dickey

If the WR's are not very good, you're right.
If Guyton is what he's supposed to be, Smiley can continue to be solid, Bussey/T. Wilson improve, and we get some playmaking out of the slot guys, I don't think we'll have to rely on that play (really, player : J. Wilson) as much.   We'll see.

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If Guyton is what he's supposed to be, Smiley can continue to be solid, Bussey/T. Wilson improve, and we get some playmaking out of the slot guys, I don't think we'll have to rely on that play (really, player : J. Wilson) as much.   We'll see.

Hopefully.

I think every QB threw that pass at least two or three times in the spring game so it doesn't look like it'll go away any time soon. Would rather see them push it downfield

13 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

Two words... Rico Bussey.

I like what I saw from him in the HoD last year.....The Big Mo....

25 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Hopefully.

I think every QB threw that pass at least two or three times in the spring game so it doesn't look like it'll go away any time soon. Would rather see them push it downfield

the swing pulls the linebackers up and opens the middle of the field.....

34 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think the abuse of the swing pass was  every bit of QB inefficiencies as the WR corp. JMO. 

27 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Hopefully.

I agree. I can live with long interceptions, def pass interference, big time play, or an incomplete pass. Pushing the ball stretches the D thin and applies pressure to any secondary. 

What I can't live with is a 3 & out almost 20% of our possessions. 

7 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I like what I saw from him in the HoD last year.....The Big Mo....

the swing pulls the linebackers up and opens the middle of the field.....

Yes, it does. Doesn't mean it has to be thrown to 5-6-7-8-9 times a game. As long as the LB's know it's there they'll cheat that way and a competent QB can take advantage. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I think the abuse of the swing pass was  every bit of QB inefficiencies as the WR corp. JMO. 

Yes, it does. Doesn't mean it has to be thrown to 5-6-7-8-9 times a game. As long as the LB's know it's there they'll cheat that way and a competent QB can take advantage. 

I don't remember off the top of my head, but generally when we couldn't run the ball for crap because we could block the opposition is when we went to that as another way to get the ball into one of your best players hands.  I am cool with 4-6 swings a game as long as they're timed out nicely and in ideal situations.  

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I don't remember off the top of my head, but generally when we couldn't run the ball for crap because we could block the opposition is when we went to that as another way to get the ball into one of your best players hands.  I am cool with 4-6 swings a game as long as they're timed out nicely and in ideal situations.  

Yep, it is just like a sweep but getting the ball to the RB on the edge.  If it is effective, we can then pump fake the swing pass opening up throws downfield.  

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Agree, ...but Nick Smith is going to get 1000yds how?

I think he meant all-purpose, but two 1,000 yard runners would bode well for our team.

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

Generally, running beyond the line of scrimmage.

Best answer in a long time.  Thanks for the laugh.

• Upvote 1

Even with this revamped offense we are going to see a steady stream of 8-10 in the box until we can prove otherwise.  My hope is that even if the offensive line is not our strength, we are getting better at blocking for this offense.  We just need a couple of key plays that can force the defense to loosen up and that will open things up for Wilson and company.  I really think the swing pass could be a key play in that particular regard.

23 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Agreed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Even with this revamped offense we are going to see a steady stream of 8-10 in the box until we can prove otherwise.  My hope is that even if the offensive line is not our strength, we are getting better at blocking for this offense.  We just need a couple of key plays that can force the defense to loosen up and that will open things up for Wilson and company.  I really think the swing pass could be a key play in that particular regard.

Also very interested to see how we incorporate the TE's this year. This could really help  if they continue to progress