Looking at Kason Martin, UNT's Newest Quarterback Commitment

Harry

North Texas picked up a pretty nice commitment in Manvel quarterback Kason Martin.   Martin is a hidden gem and highly productive player for a 5A Power. 

We hate relying on highlight film to do any sort of evaluation because...well, it's highlight film. It can be instructive in a couple areas. One, you can't hide a bad arm on a highlight reel. Two, you generally get a good idea of how a player rates from an athletic standpoint. Finally, you tend to get an idea of what a player was asked to do in his high school system and how well or poorly that translates to the next level. 

You can see his junior highlight reel, here

A few observations:

read more: 

https://swcroundup.com/news/2017/6/20/wednesday-playcard?utm_content=buffere4c18&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I don't see the "wind-up" except when throwing on the run.  I also don't see him "leaving his feet."  I do see him push off his back foot finishing on his front foot many times.  I am excited about the future with Mr. Pearson and Mr. Martin.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Alright.  I'm putting all of you on the honor system.  No "Googling" or consulting a road atlas.

Without looking, Where is

MANVEL, TEXAS ?

Good luck.  We're all counting on you.

GO MEAN GREEN

Due south of Houston on 288.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Respectfully, he does it every throw from the pocket. Reminds me of Derek Thompson's release.

I'm a bit worried we have no formal announcement from gridiron account of commitment... if we piss away relationship at a top txhsfb program I'll be pissed.

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Respectfully, he does not bring the ball down to his hip.

Still waiting for the day where you can reply to me in a non passive-aggressive manner or without mocking me. But yeah, admittedly that was a lazy comparison to a QB who had a release that was about as long just in a different motion, yet had success here.

This is a good shot of his release. We see his arm, while facing the opposing team's end zone, doesn't just go a long way back toward his own end zone, it also goes very far back towards the sideline to his back. We see his feet and shoulders squared up to the middle of the field, but the ball still clearing the back of his helmet in this shot directly behind him. 

That's where his "wind-up" occurs more so than bringing the ball down like you see some former QBs with pitching backgrounds do. You can still notice it from the sideline view, but not nearly as clear as this end zone shot.

IMG_1127.PNG

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

I'm a bit worried we have no formal announcement from gridiron account of commitment... if we piss away relationship at a top txhsfb program I'll be pissed.

I wonder if there isn't any blueshirt contemplation. The players they have not announced in the past have often been blueshirts or blueshirt candidates who we ended up as regular signees on NSD (like Novil and Fine). Although with Junius King they tweeted out his area code like a week late.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

My comment was in response to the SWC Roundup analysis.  Not trying to be passive aggressive, but you feel the need to correct have of my opinion posts.  Sorry, but one snapshot of his throws is not changing my opinion from what I watched on his video linked to his 247 profile and how the gjys at SWC Roundup said about his motion, leaving his feet, etc...  BTW, I played the position.  Doesn't make me an expert, but I am also speaking from a position of experience.  He holds the ball at chest level, a little low, and brings it back and then forward, not down to his hip as they mentioned.  Can it be more compact?  Sure, but he exhibits good arm strength and accuracy.  Sometimes nitpicking mechanics does more harm than good.  I think he will be fine.  Again, my opinion.

You tend to have a habit of corecting everyone, and if you look back up through this thread, that is exactly what you did with my observations from his video.  

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

My comment was in response to the SWC Roundup analysis.  Not trying to be passive aggressive, but you feel the need to correct have of my opinion posts.  Sorry, but one snapshot of his throws is not changing my opinion from what I watched on his video linked to his 247 profile and how the gjys at SWC Roundup said about his motion, leaving his feet, etc...  BTW, I played the position.  Doesn't make me an expert, but I am also speaking from a position of experience.  He holds the ball at chest level, a little low, and brings it back and then forward, not down to his hip as they mentioned.  Can it be more compact?  Sure, but he exhibits good arm strength and accuracy.  Sometimes nitpicking mechanics does more harm than good.  I think he will be fine.  Again, my opinion.

You tend to have a habit of corecting everyone, and if you look back up through this thread, that is exactly what you did with my observations from his video.  

I've seen the whole highlight tape, but re-watched the first 30 seconds and saw 4 throws (1 with a pump fake).  He dropped the ball down to his belly/hip before winding to throw on all 4 throws (all w/a clean pocket) in that same highlight clip you watched. 4-for-4.  Don't need to watch more.

Not saying Harrell can't fix that, and Martin couldn't turn into an all-conference player like Brandon Doughty... but speaking of Doughty, take a look at how he keeps the ball at chest level or higher in all of these throws with a clean pocket, keeping an eye on where the ball is the instant before he goes to throw:

This is what those guys are talking about.

If someone is taking the time to "correct" you, then it likely means they value your opinion and want to make sure it's "correct".  The tape don't lie.

• Upvote 2

Don't mean to pile on, just saw the subsequent responses while I was taking snips. It's easy to miss when he drops it down to his hip pocket, and it shouldn't affect his accuracy, which is already good (and likely an improvement in our depth chart). It'll improve his release time though. I've attached a slow mo gif. Hopefully it works.

Watch him lower the ball to his stomach area before pulling back to throw. That's his natural motion. Definitely fixable.

MartinMotion.gif

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

This is a good shot of his release. We see his arm, while facing the opposing team's end zone, doesn't just go a long way back toward his own end zone, it also goes very far back towards the sideline to his back. We see his feet and shoulders squared up to the middle of the field, but the ball still clearing the back of his helmet in this shot directly behind him. 

That's where his "wind-up" occurs more so than bringing the ball down like you see some former QBs with pitching backgrounds do. You can still notice it from the sideline view, but not nearly as clear as this end zone shot.

IMG_1127.PNG

Hey Billy,
Isn't he throwing to the right sideline on this particular throw?   In that case, we wouldn't expect his arm angle to be straight back towards his end zone (like if he were throwing a post/cross route in the middle of the field.   Just nit-picking.  Slow offseason.

10 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Still waiting for the day where you can reply to me in a non passive-aggressive manner or without mocking me. But yeah, admittedly that was a lazy comparison to a QB who had a release that was about as long just in a different motion, yet had success here.

IMG_1127.PNG

I wonder if there isn't any blueshirt contemplation. The players they have not announced in the past have often been blueshirts or blueshirt candidates who we ended up as regular signees on NSD (like Novil and Fine). Although with Junius King they tweeted out his area code like a week late.

I thought the reference was on the start of his motion which I really did not see and can be fixed. This is a little more concerning and a lot harder habit to break in my opinion.

I thought his feet and pocket pressence looked good. I know it is a highlight film but it looks like he can make all the throws against a high level of competition. He comes close to last years stats he may be hard to hold on to. Nice to see a pick up in talent at the qb level starting last year.

49 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Don't mean to pile on, just saw the subsequent responses while I was taking snips. It's easy to miss when he drops it down to his hip pocket, and it shouldn't affect his accuracy, which is already good (and likely an improvement in our depth chart). It'll improve his release time though. I've attached a slow mo gif. Hopefully it works.

Watch him lower the ball to his stomach area before pulling back to throw. That's his natural motion. Definitely fixable.

Yep.  The Philadelphia Eagles have done this with Carson Wentz in the offseason.    It is definitely fixable.

43 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Hey Billy,
Isn't he throwing to the right sideline on this particular throw?   In that case, we wouldn't expect his arm angle to be straight back towards his end zone (like if he were throwing a post/cross route in the middle of the field.   Just nit-picking.  Slow offseason.

He is, which is why I referenced his feet and shoulders. That's the reference point. So yeah, it should be a little because he is throwing right but the extent that we see is a long motion. That arm angle, with a clean pocket, illustrates the habitual nature of the motion imo. And the rest of his highlights.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

MartinMotion.gif

Interesting, he definitely has a similarity to DT in this particular video clip no doubt.

On 6/21/2017 at 1:47 PM, UNTLifer said:

I don't see the "wind-up" except when throwing on the run.  I also don't see him "leaving his feet."  I do see him push off his back foot finishing on his front foot many times.  I am excited about the future with Mr. Pearson and Mr. Martin.

Will be interesting. Martin, Pearson, Fine all seem like kids that will fight and stay late if needed. On top of Izzy who has the size and was getting P5 looks as well. 

20 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Agreed, I was wondering the same thing about no announcement. Because they have posted other things since Martin tweeted out his commitment 

2 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Will be interesting. Martin, Pearson, Fine all seem like kids that will fight and stay late if needed. On top of Izzy who has the size and was getting P5 looks as well. 

Agreed, I was wondering the same thing about no announcement. Because they have posted other things since Martin tweeted out his commitment 

They know as soon as they make it public he will get other offers and Ben G cannot complain about how

he has no other offers :)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

They know as soon as they make it public he will get other offers and Ben G cannot complain about how

he has no other offers :)

Not true. This would be 1 player then with 2 offers. It has to be consistent for a pattern or trend to manifest. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1