Redskins' Daniel Snyder "THRILLED" with Supreme Court ruling

14 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Nope that wasn't my point. That statement is distancing oneself from the crux of the problem.

People have asked to stop being called that, both directly to the team, and to some of society. This has nothing to do with liking the team. So why not stop after being asked by the group?

What is there to address in your unarguable statement?

This has nothing to do with feelings police or being a weak cupcake. There is no PC involved.

My point is one and only one: if someone asks you to stop calling them something, stop calling them something. Or referring them by something, which is what your argument is based on.

Referring to a team as a name is NOT calling someone that name. If you call Notre Dame the Fighting Irish, are you calling ME a fighting Irishman? No. If I ask you to not refer to Notre Dame as their true mascot, would you? I hope not. I think that you are entirely wrong, this is a total political stunt. We have guys that scream because they are called he or him, girls that scream when they are called her or she. Sorry but I'm not giving into this mentally screwed up way of thinking.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, GreenMachine said:

Referring to a team as a name is NOT calling someone that name. If you call Notre Dame the Fighting Irish, are you calling ME a fighting Irishman? No. If I ask you to not refer to Notre Dame as their true mascot, would you? I hope not. I think that you are entirely wrong, this is a total political stunt. We have guys that scream because they are called he or him, girls that scream when they are called her or she. Sorry but I'm not giving into this mentally screwed up way of thinking.

Ok.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

I don't think so for simply sueing to recover for past damages?  

Rick

I see what you were saying now. The NCAA isn't a governmental organization, so they can make whatever policy it wants, no? I think it was mentioned previously.

1 minute ago, Aldo said:

I see what you were saying now. The NCAA isn't a governmental organization, so they can make whatever policy it wants, no? I think it was mentioned previously.

The problem is when they try to enforce their own rules, but have it appealed to the government.  If they happen to step on an actual law... which this will no doubt set a precedent for... they get put in their place, a-la Penn St.

30 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The problem is when they try to enforce their own rules, but have it appealed to the government.

The appeal tends to be handled in a civil court manner.

The reason the NCAA got its hand slapped ala Penn State is they serve as the judge, jury, and executioner with little to no means to effectively appeal a verdict/punishment handed down.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

The appeal tends to be handled in a civil court manner.

The reason the NCAA got its hand slapped ala Penn State is they serve as the judge, jury, and executioner with little to no means to effectively appeal a verdict/punishment handed down.

Sorry, yes.  I should have said "courts" instead of "government".  
Same scenario would rear its head if the NCAA were to try and force the Seminoles to cease using the name & imagery today (I know this already happened and FSU won their appeal citing the blessing of the Seminole tribe's government).

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Sorry, yes.  I should have said "courts" instead of "government".  
Same scenario would rear its head if the NCAA were to try and force the Seminoles to cease using the name & imagery today (I know this already happened and FSU won their appeal citing the blessing of the Seminole tribe's government).

North Dakota had the blessing of a local Sioux tribe as well and it didn't matter.  Once they went down that road over a very minor, fabricated PC position the NCAA put their foot on the throat of those who had the least resources to fight it and those schools caved.  If just to slap back at them a little I'd love to see those schools bind together a class action position over the whole thing.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

58 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

North Dakota had the blessing of a local Sioux tribe as well and it didn't matter.  Once they went down that road over a very minor, fabricated PC position the NCAA put their foot on the throat of those who had the least resources to fight it and those schools caved.  If just to slap back at them a little I'd love to see those schools bind together a class action position over the whole thing.

Rick

Judging by how the courts ruled in the Penn St. case, and this new precedent, I would think those schools should give it a go.  
Even schools with "Indians", "Braves", "Tribe", etc... mascots likely could as well.

"Redskins" though, to me, is a different animal altogether.  It's a derogatory term.  Seems like a word Andrew Jackson would use alot, alongside another particular word to describe black folks.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

On 6/22/2017 at 3:37 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Judging by how the courts ruled in the Penn St. case, and this new precedent, I would think those schools should give it a go.  
Even schools with "Indians", "Braves", "Tribe", etc... mascots likely could as well.

"Redskins" though, to me, is a different animal altogether.  It's a derogatory term.  Seems like a word Andrew Jackson would use alot, alongside another particular word to describe black folks.

That last part is what I was thinking through the whole discussion. If somebody wanted to name their mascot the N-bomb, would the same people trying to justify Redskins be okay with it? 

• Upvote 2