Redskins' Daniel Snyder "THRILLED" with Supreme Court ruling

7 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I wonder if any of the universities that were forced to change mascots will reverse their decisions?

Were they forced by the government to change their mascots? Or were they forced by popular opinion?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, GreenMachine said:

Or were they forced by unpopular, vocal minority opinion?

My question wasn't rhetorical. I haven't been keeping up with this since I have no kids in a school in this kind of situation, so I was wondering if the government (local or otherwise) was going around forcing schools' hands.

But since yours is: When a group of people asks me to stop calling them something, what do I do?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Aldo said:

My question wasn't rhetorical. I haven't been keeping up with this since I have no kids in a school in this kind of situation, so I was wondering if the government (local or otherwise) was going around forcing schools' hands.

But since yours is: When a group of people asks me to stop calling them something, what do I do?

Evidently, if you are a billionaire, you hire lawyers and continue doing WTF you want.

• Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, Aldo said:

When a very small minority asks one thing and the huge majority don't give a crap, you do what you feel is right. I personally don't think that Redskin, Seminole or any name like that offends anybody. The media tells people they should be offended and they magically become offended.

1 minute ago, GreenMachine said:

When a very small minority asks one thing and the huge majority don't give a crap, you do what you feel is right. I personally don't think that Redskin, Seminole or any name like that offends anybody. The media tells people they should be offended and they magically become offended.

But when a group of people who is being targeted by that name asks you not to do that, why would you keep calling them that?

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Aldo said:

But when a group of people who is being targeted by that name asks you not to do that, why would you keep calling them that?

Being targeted? Seriously? So I guess Notre Dame is "targeting" me with their mascot? No they aren't, not at all. If 10 out of a group of 100 ask you to quit using a generic name  and the other 90 thinks it's absolutely ridiculous to get butt hurt over it, you use common sense. 10 years ago people weren't offended by every little thing, I still believe there is an agenda behind all the people being offended. It's politics as always.

Edited by GreenMachine
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

57 minutes ago, GreenMachine said:

Well, one of those is a proper name of a Native American Nation.   The other is a derogatory reference to those Native Americans.

Names like "Seminoles", "Illini", "Utes", "Chippewas", etc... are not offensive, if anything they're empowering.   "Redskins", "Savages", and to a much lesser extent "Indians" are not empowering at all.  They're generalizing, if not flat-out offensive terms towards these same people.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Well, one of those is a proper name of a Native American Nation.   The other is a derogatory reference to those Native Americans.

Names like "Seminoles", "Illini", "Utes", "Chippewas", etc... are not offensive, if anything they're empowering.   "Redskins", "Savages", and to a much lesser extent "Indians" are not empowering at all.  They're generalizing, if not flat-out offensive terms towards these same people.

No they aren't. People can't be that big of p*****s can they? It's only offensive if you are weak and insecure and let it offend you. Personally, I will never give anyone that power.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 9

1 hour ago, GreenMachine said:

No they aren't. People can't be that big of p*****s can they? It's only offensive if you are weak and insecure and let it offend you. Personally, I will never give anyone that power.

Look I know you are proud of your Italian heritage and everything but not everyone sees things the way you do

1 hour ago, GreenMachine said:

Being targeted? Seriously? So I guess Notre Dame is "targeting" me with their mascot? No they aren't, not at all. If 10 out of a group of 100 ask you to quit using a generic name  and the other 90 thinks it's absolutely ridiculous to get butt hurt over it, you use common sense. 10 years ago people weren't offended by every little thing, I still believe there is an agenda behind all the people being offended. It's politics as always.

Semantics with "targeted". The group a word is being aimed at. Whatever. That's not the point.

Who gives a crap how many people, or majority or this or that.

One person tells you to stop calling them something. Do you stop calling them that? 

And explain to me what the agenda is about not wanting to be called "Redskin"?

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, All About UNT said:

Look I know you are proud of your Italian heritage and everything but not everyone sees things the way you do

Doesn't matter what ones heritage, simple names cant possibly hurt ones feelings. People can't go through life so soft and fragile. Plus, I am not a greaser:)

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

Semantics with "targeted". The group a word is being aimed at. Whatever. That's not the point.

Who gives a crap how many people, or majority or this or that.

One person tells you to stop calling them something. Do you stop calling them that? 

And explain to me what the agenda is about not wanting to be called "Redskin"?

Calling a team the Redskins isn't focused at one single person so in your example above, you didn't call them anything in the first place. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Aldo said:

Were they forced by the government to change their mascots? Or were they forced by popular opinion?

They were strong armed and bullied into it because they were not the power money schools.  Non of the mega money schools were strongarmed into it.  

So my question is, will those who were bullied into it have the guts to sue the NCAA for their trouble and expense of having to change names, signage, trademark licensing etc.  I doubt it but if they do chose to do so would have a foot to stand on now.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

14 hours ago, GreenMachine said:

Calling a team the Redskins isn't focused at one single person so in your example above, you didn't call them anything in the first place. 

Someone asks you to stop calling them something, what do *you* do? 

11 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

They were strong armed and bullied into it because they were not the power money schools.  Non of the mega money schools were strongarmed into it.  

So my question is, will those who were bullied into it have the guts to sue the NCAA for their trouble and expense of having to change names, signage, trademark licensing etc.  I doubt it but if they do chose to do so would have a foot to stand on now.

Rick

I'm sure they'd (the school) also face a public backlash. 

Edited by Aldo

24 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Someone asks you to stop calling them something, what do *you* do? 

I'm sure they'd (the school) also face a public backlash. 

Damn, this shouldn't be difficult. When you are talking about the a Washington Redskins, you are referring to an entity, not calling an individual a name. If someone still gets upset you set them down and explain how good life can be when you aren't a weak cupcake.

37 minutes ago, GreenMachine said:

Damn, this shouldn't be difficult. When you are talking about the a Washington Redskins, you are referring to an entity, not calling an individual a name. If someone still gets upset you set them down and explain how good life can be when you aren't a weak cupcake.

I think you are manufacturing an argument that justifies calling a group (which consists of individuals) whatever you want, even after that group (that consists of individuals) has asked you to stop.

This isn't about being politically correct. Someone has asked you to stop calling them something. Be a decent person and stop calling them that something. This shouldn't be difficult.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I think you are manufacturing an argument that justifies calling a group (which consists of individuals) whatever you want, even after that group (that consists of individuals) has asked you to stop.

This isn't about being politically correct. Someone has asked you to stop calling them something. Be a decent person and stop calling them that something. This shouldn't be difficult.

So you believe that saying "I like the Washington Redskins" is calling someone a name? It's not. It's not targeting, it's not hurtful, it's not offensive. Again, and you have never addressed this, people chose to get offended by any and everything, it's not societies responsibility to be the feelings police.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GreenMachine said:

So you believe that saying "I like the Washington Redskins" is calling someone a name? It's not. It's not targeting, it's not hurtful, it's not offensive. 

Nope that wasn't my point. That statement is distancing oneself from the crux of the problem.

People have asked to stop being called that, both directly to the team, and to some of society. This has nothing to do with liking the team. So why not stop after being asked by the group?

4 minutes ago, GreenMachine said:

Again, and you have never addressed this, people chose to get offended by any and everything, it's not societies responsibility to be the feelings police.

What is there to address in your unarguable statement?

This has nothing to do with feelings police or being a weak cupcake. There is no PC involved.

My point is one and only one: if someone asks you to stop calling them something, stop calling them something. Or referring them by something, which is what your argument is based on.

• Downvote 1