Lincoln Riley may look to UNT's Graham Harrell as OU QB Coach

Harry

If Riley were to move either Gundy or Bedenbaugh to offensive coordinator, he may also add a quarterbacks coach. A name to keep an eye on would be Graham Harrell, who Riley coached at Texas Tech, and is currently the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks' coach at North Texas.

read more:  http://www.oudaily.com/sports/oklahoma-football-lincoln-riley-looking-to-potentially-add-help/article_05b7af9e-4d14-11e7-b6bd-ff2659c2bea4.html

The P5's will poach the UNT coaches in football and basketball since it appears finally that UNT is investing in bonafide, rising star young coaches. That's the price a competitive G5 will have to pay to play. Bottom line is Wren Baker has to be sharp, energetic and think beyond whoever the current UNT coaches are at the time. SO GOES THE WREN, SO GOES UNT ATHLETICS.

• Upvote 5

Would be interesting to see if Harrell would go from play calling responsibilities and coordinating an offense to go back to a position coach. I am sure OU could make it financially appealing so it would come down to being willing to take a step down in responsibility in exchange for joining a top program. 

For me, Harrell's grade so far is somewhat of an incomplete. I haven't seen enough on the field or the recruiting trail YET to be able to form an opinion. 

However, I expect the upcoming season and current recruiting class to answer a lot of questions regarding Harrell's ability. 

• Upvote 2

Not only have we spent the $$ on head coaches, but maybe more important UNT has spent the $$ on Assistant Coaches. We have people in place that possibly could be head coaching material. We have also done the same thing with the Assistant AD. When we do loose somebody I hope we have the talent to promote from within. This is how you maintain continuity! GMG

10 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Not only have we spent the $$ on head coaches, but maybe more important UNT has spent the $$ on Assistant Coaches. We have people in place that possibly could be head coaching material. We have also done the same thing with the Assistant AD. When we do loose somebody I hope we have the talent to promote from within. This is how you maintain continuity! GMG

If we lose them, we just tighten them back up!

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, greenjoe said:

I don't want to lose Graham  or any other coach that has time invested in our players but wouldn't it be  funny to know that LSU and Oklahoma look to North Texas for coaches.

GO MEAN GREEN

I would take it as a compliment as well.

North Texas is currently paying Harell $235,000 a year. OU pays most position coaches between $390,000 and 450,000. That would be a good raise, but I don't think it would be worth it to lose the professional platform he enjoys as an offensive coordinator. It is harder to showcase your offensive mind as a position coach. I don't see him leaving for anything less then a P5 coordinators job. It could happen, but not yet.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, GreenMachine said:

I wouldn't be too disappointed if he left. I know it's too late but this is where we should have brought in Dodge, as an OC.

I have always believed and will always continue to believe that if Dodge had actually hired college coordinators we would be talking about a different history for North Texas football.  As much as Dodge, I blame RV for not act like a true athletic director at the time and saying no to the hiring of high school coordinators. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I have always believed and will always continue to believe that if Dodge had actually hired college coordinators we would be talking about a different history for North Texas football.  As much as Dodge, I blame RV for not act like a true athletic director at the time and saying no to the hiring of high school coordinators. 

I think from a budget standpoint, RV was more than happy to have Dodge's staff be mostly HS coaches. Everything about that hire was high risk, high reward. Cheap coaching staff with lots of name recognition. If it worked, we would be in really good shape today. But it didn't, for so many reasons that we all know.