Selling More US Weaponary to Qatar

11 hours ago, Rudy said:

My first thought?  Hell no.

While I understand the transaction didn't begin under the current administration, BUT, how can you condemn a country for being a larger supporter of terrorist cells, then a week or two later sell 21 billion in weaponry...

10 hours ago, Caw Caw said:

While I understand the transaction didn't begin under the current administration, BUT, how can you condemn a country for being a larger supporter of terrorist cells, then a week or two later sell 21 billion in weaponry...

Who knows, it's all political with things going on over our heads. All I know is that we have a huge military base in Doha. 

Most likely it's us dealing with them, so they don't go anymore to Iran/Russia said. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Who knows, it's all political with things going on over our heads. All I know is that we have a huge military base in Doha. 

Most likely it's us dealing with them, so they don't go anymore to Iran/Russia said. 

If you ask me, it's naive to think that the external disruption of the Middle East isn't a long term side-effect of the Cold War and other external involvement in regional affairs. At this point it's cyclical, regime takes power, US and or Russia backs opposition with arms and financial support, regime gets toppled, supported party turns on its supporter, US and/or Russia back some to topple, rinse repeat. Just really need to pull out of the region. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Caw Caw said:

If you ask me, it's naive to think that the external disruption of the Middle East isn't a long term side-effect of the Cold War and other external involvement in regional affairs. At this point it's cyclical, regime takes power, US and or Russia backs opposition with arms and financial support, regime gets toppled, supported party turns on its supporter, US and/or Russia back some to topple, rinse repeat. Just really need to pull out of the region. 

I don't agree with you often but I believe you are spot on. Pull out of the region completely and let them duke it out on their own.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, GreenMachine said:

I don't agree with you often but I believe you are spot on. Pull out of the region completely and let them duke it out on their own.

Leave Russia to influence everyone in the region?  Abandon the relationships built with the Gulf States?    
It's a chess match the US started, and has to play to completion.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Leave Russia to influence everyone in the region?  Abandon the relationships built with the Gulf States?    
It's a chess match the US started, and has to play to completion.

What does completion look like? For every country we "stabilize" and democratize the shift just moves to a different one. Sometimes, like with Afghanistan, it's the same country new conflict. What is the end game here? Can you tell me how you think this chess match could end positively?

1 minute ago, Caw Caw said:

What does completion look like? For every country we "stabilize" and democratize the shift just moves to a different one. Sometimes, like with Afghanistan, it's the same country new conflict. What is the end game here? Can you tell me how you think this chess match could end positively?

Who the heck knows?  

But simply walking away would be much more catastrophic than remaining engaged... or we likely already would have.
Like it or not, Teddy made the U.S. the world's policeman.  If we're going to be the world power we are (not to mention the very reflection of democracy those parts of the world need to see), we have to keep this up... unless someone else from NATO would like to take up the mantle.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Who the heck knows?  

But simply walking away would be much more catastrophic than remaining engaged... or we likely already would have.
Like it or not, Teddy made the U.S. the world's policeman.  If we're going to be the world power we are (not to mention the very reflection of democracy those parts of the world need to see), we have to keep this up... unless someone else from NATO would like to take up the mantle.

I don't fall under the "democracy is the only political system" group. And maybe there will be a vacuum for the time, but we can't both desire to be isolationist and world police. They are opposite ideas. We either care about the world at large or we only care about America. We seem unable to make up our mind on this issue lol.

14 hours ago, Caw Caw said:

I don't fall under the "democracy is the only political system" group. And maybe there will be a vacuum for the time, but we can't both desire to be isolationist and world police. They are opposite ideas. We either care about the world at large or we only care about America. We seem unable to make up our mind on this issue lol.

We can still care about the world at large but put America's interest first. It doesn't have to be an either/or ultimatum.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 6/16/2017 at 9:25 PM, Rudy said:

I'm not sure how all this in the Middle East was started by the US.  It was started by those who still live in a 11th Century version of islam.

Preach it. When I was overseas. 

We have to stay/support them till this mindset is completely done away with.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

7 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

Did I hit a nerve? Offend your sensibilities?

Nope. Just asking since some admins like to take jabs at posts they don't agree with yet us regular folk get penalized. 

So, what is your insightful take on this situation?  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Preach it. When I was overseas. 

We have to stay/support them till this mindset is completely done away with.

Several things have to happen for that mindset to be reduced to the point where radical islam is essentially like westboro Baptist Church.  But nothing will work until those who follow a modern and moderate version of islam decide to take a stand against the radical sect once and for all.  The problem is that many so called "moderates" sympathize with the views of radical islam, or sympathize with those with non moderate views.  Until they are willing to take a stand, the best we can do is take the fight to extremists and hope to keep the attacks and violence limited to the extremists' turf.  Aside from that, law enforcement and the intel communities have to do their best to identify, stop, and arrest the homegrown extremists and their plotted attacks. 

13 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Several things have to happen for that mindset to be reduced to the point where radical islam is essentially like westboro Baptist Church.  But nothing will work until those who follow a modern and moderate version of islam decide to take a stand against the radical sect once and for all.  The problem is that many so called "moderates" sympathize with the views of radical islam, or sympathize with those with non moderate views.  Until they are willing to take a stand, the best we can do is take the fight to extremists and hope to keep the attacks and violence limited to the extremists' turf.  Aside from that, law enforcement and the intel communities have to do their best to identify, stop, and arrest the homegrown extremists and their plotted attacks. 

That is true, and starts with the US calling what is, and us forcing the hand of our Allies to call it what it is and for them to get in line with modern day cultures. 

Once its identified, then we have Allies that are willing to work, then we have to hold them to that standard.