Fans To Vote For Flag Design Outside Apogee Stadium

meangreen15

11 hours ago, Stix said:

Thinking about it, the one missing option is the battle flag with the SOW replacing the star.  Might that be the best option?

Excellent idea. The other option could be the battle flag with the alumni NT-Star in place of the single star. You get the star & NT on the flag at the same time.

9 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I voted for the NT Battle Flag and its 31 years of tradition.

Rick

Totally agree Rick. PLUS it's a 31 year tradition created by a NORTH TEXAS GRADUATE.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Battle flag all the way.  If NT adopts it semi-officially it may at least kept Baylor from using it as they have done in the past. 

It is another one of the things that Fry launched, his marketing ideas are often overlooked.   Flying worm loco, mean green moniker, battle flag, song leaders which I never understood the name, but became the NT dancers.  Apple green, whether you liked it or not it was unique at the time.    

• Upvote 3

How cool would it be to finally see the battle flag flying huge and proud while driving up I-35.    That cannon and Model-T are cool.  Apogee is great.   But to me, seeing that battle flag is something really special.   And, we don't see enough of it around.

If the alumni are the ones carrying the vote, the battle flag should win in a landslide.    I do worry a bit about the students not understanding the tradition behind the flag or its importance.  This is not just a flag, it is an icon.

This is either going to be a great thing, or a huge disappointment for me if that flag is not chosen.

P.S.-I am going to vote on every computer that I have access to ;)

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, akriesman said:

If the alumni are the ones carrying the vote, the battle flag should win in a landslide.    I do worry a bit about the students not understanding the tradition behind the flag or its importance.  This is not just a flag, it is an icon.

I am an alumnus and have never been educated on the tradition or importance of the battle flag.

• Downvote 1

The Hayden Fry era came up with the North Texas Dollies.  The Dollies were replaced with the Song Leaders which was a creation of Director of Bands  Robert Winslow who came to NT from UCLA of Song Girls fame.  The Song Leaders became the North Texas Dancers after a period of no on-field dancing. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, rws69 said:

Voted for battle flag. Ranked choices 4-1-2-3 (4 is UNT and 1 is battle flag).

https://125.unt.edu/tradition/traditions-spirit#unt-flag

"The North Texas flag was designed by sports promotions director Jim Hobdy in 1986 and became a recognized university symbol. Today, the Talons wave the largest version of the flag at football games."

So the Talons waving it is what makes it a big deal? I just thought one of the fans came up with it because I only see it at some of the tailgate spots.

That blurb doesn't really tell me much about the tradition or importance of the flag. It just says it was created in 1986 and is waved by the Talons. I get the SOW and the interlocking NT because I've seen them used officially in several places. I still don't get the battle flag. Can one of you that hold it dear explain it to me in a way that goes further than, "it looks cool and the Talons fly it"?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

"The North Texas flag was designed by sports promotions director Jim Hobdy in 1986 and became a recognized university symbol. Today, the Talons wave the largest version of the flag at football games."

So the Talons waving it is what makes it a big deal? I just thought one of the fans came up with it because I only see it at some of the tailgate spots.

That blurb doesn't really tell me much about the tradition or importance of the flag. It just says it was created in 1986 and is waved by the Talons. I get the SOW and the interlocking NT because I've seen them used officially in several places. I still don't get the battle flag. Can one of you that hold it dear explain it to me in a way that goes further than, "it looks cool and the Talons fly it"?

2 hours ago, greenjoe said:

The Hayden Fry era came up with the North Texas Dollies.  The Dollies were replaced with the Song Leaders which was a creation of Director of Bands  Robert Winslow who came to NT from UCLA of Song Girls fame.  The Song Leaders became the North Texas Dancers after a period of no on-field dancing. 

Giving Hayden too much credit according to these posts.   Don't remember the Dollies, but if that was the name than it makes sense it should have been changed.   I guess my memory of the battle flag is off a decade.   Jim Hobdy was very good at his job.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

Why is everyone obsessed with the green Texas flag? Wouldn't the general public think it's just bad holdover from St.Patrick's Day? 

Son of Worm with North Texas should be the only University flag flown there.

green texas flag is noticed and understood by far more folks than a flying worm from the 70s...i've never thought of the green texas flag as a st. patricks day thing

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, THOR said:

green texas flag is noticed and understood by far more folks than a flying worm from the 70s...i've never thought of the green texas flag as a st. patricks day thing

He said son of worm, which is the logo on our helmets. Makes sense to me since that is what people see when they see us play on tv. I think you are overestimating the number of folks outside of the hardcore that would recognize a green Texas flag as related to us.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

He said son of worm, which is the logo on our helmets. Makes sense to me since that is what people see when they see us play on tv. I think you are overestimating the number of folks outside of the hardcore that would recognize a green Texas flag as related to us.

whoops...i'm an idiot...thanks...

• Upvote 6

7 hours ago, greenjoe said:

That's pretty good! 1974 was the only year that Maurice McAdow did not direct the marching band. He turned those responsibilities over to Jim Hansford who was his graduate assistant at the time.  Jim instigated the "Mean Green Dollies" who did a dance number during the half time show. I graduated that year and have no idea what happened next.

I do know, however, that it was Winslow who watered down the fight song, claiming the original version sounded too "old timey"

I am told that the flag was created keeping in mind to use the same graphic layout as the State of Texas flag, since the State of Texas flag is so recognizable.  The State of Texas flag is known by most all Texans and across the land.  As to the colors, it was stated to me that the dark green represents all the greens used over the years and the yellow-green represents the Hayden Fry years.  The use of the two colors was intended to unify all the years of athletic competition at North Texas.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, drex said:

I am told that the flag was created keeping in mind to use the same graphic layout as the State of Texas flag, since the State of Texas flag is so recognizable.  The State of Texas flag is known by most all Texans and across the land.  As to the colors, it was stated to me that the dark green represents all the greens used over the years and the yellow-green represents the Hayden Fry years.  The use of the two colors was intended to unify all the years of athletic competition at North Texas.

This basically sums it up for me.    Everyone knows the Texas state flag and just about everyone knows North Texas as the Mean Green.     The beauty of the flag is in its subtlety.    You can find the words "North Texas" all around campus and along I-35.    Just about every other school puts the mascot and/or school name on their flags.   The NT battle flag is unique to me and those varying shades of green represent our school  history well IMO.

Think about the battle flag TShirts.  When people look at a TShirt with the battle flag on it, I think it catches their attention because you have to think for a moment about what it is representing (green Texas flag ?  mean green ?  ahhh North Texas I get it).    Everyone sees TShirts with college names on them.   I think after a time your brain just dismisses them.  But, a green Texas flag ?    They have to put some effort into figuring it out.

Just MHO.   Perhaps I have overestimated it's appreciation over the last 1/2 decade.    Plus, its the offseason and there is nothing exciting to talk about.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 3

On 6/15/2017 at 8:15 AM, untjim1995 said:

I'm just glad we didn't have the albino squirrel flag option...

Hey it's got tradition. Put it up there with the green Texas flag that Baylor uses along with my Irish buddy on St.Patricks day.

Flame Suit On.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2