Fans To Vote For Flag Design Outside Apogee Stadium

meangreen15

Top google search for green Texas flag. http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=23627

Are we doing ourselves any favors with a flag that such a small percentage of the population would understand? Everybody can read and many more would recognize the SOW as belonging to us than the battle flag.  I'm a diehard alum and still barely know what the battle flag represents (it represents all the shades of green we've used and is flown by the Talons).

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

11 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Top google search for green Texas flag. http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=23627

Are we doing ourselves any favors with a flag that such a small percentage of the population would understand? Everybody can read and many more would recognize the SOW as belonging to us than the battle flag.  I'm a diehard alum and still barely know what the battle flag represents (it represents all the shades of green we've used and is flown by the Talons).

I'm pretty sure if I saw a red and black Texas flag flying in Lubbock I'd be able to figure out that it was a Texas Tech thing.  Or maroon in College Station.  Or burnt orange in Texas.  Or purple in Ft. Worth.  You get the idea.  I don't have to know what it represents to know it's associated with UNT.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

If it's flying outside the football stadium I'd like to think I had enough sense to figure it out.  In the link you posted it only took about four posts for someone to associate Denton, Mean Green, and Green Texas Flag.  But hey, I know sometimes people aren't very smart, so there is always that possibility.

I have to admit I'd be confused if I saw a Blue and White Texas flag flying in Boca Raton. LOL.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

What about a purple and orange in San Antonio or a Blue and White in Boca Raton? Red and white in Houston? Sliver and dark blue in Houston?

For any of these, if they were next to a marquee of the same color with a university's name on it, I think I'd figure it out.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, meangreenlax said:

We had the battle flag on our lacrosse helmets. By far one of the best pieces of UNT branding out there and it pissed off the UT crowd

Untitled.png

Nice looking and anything that pisses off the UT'ers is good with me.

• Upvote 1

Firefightin Rick can elaborate more, but I think that the Aggies took the flag situation to the state attorney general.  They were hoping that the attorney general would rule against its use by North Texas.  It was given the OK as my memory serves me.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

We had the battle flag on our lacrosse helmets. By far one of the best pieces of UNT branding out there and it pissed off the UT crowd

Untitled.png

I can't decide if I'd like this on our helmets, but I'd love it as an accent piece somewhere on the uniform.  Maybe use a small version on the back of the helmet???

I'd  love to have a t-shirt with that logo.  Or maybe on the back of a fitted cap.  That logo should definitely be put to use.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, NT93 said:

I can't decide if I'd like this on our helmets, but I'd love it as an accent piece somewhere on the uniform.  Maybe use a small version on the back of the helmet???

I'd  love to have a t-shirt with that logo.  Or maybe on the back of a fitted cap.  That logo should definitely be put to use.

I still think a version of this helmet could be used for special games....ie.....Army, or a Bowl game....may even......SMU

16 hours ago, drex said:

Firefightin Rick can elaborate more, but I think that the Aggies took the flag situation to the state attorney general.  They were hoping that the attorney general would rule against its use by North Texas.  It was given the OK as my memory serves me.

The flags are sold in the bookstore, so I'm assuming the school is in the clear legally

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, drex said:

IIRC, Aggy tried to say the battle flag was "desecrating the Texas flag." "Desecration" generally means to damage, destroy or mutilate a flag in public. Obviously, the battle flag does none of those things. Then there is the whole first amendment/freedom of speech thing. The battle flag was so obviously fine I'm not sure the AG bothered to even respond. 

On 6/15/2017 at 5:31 PM, Got5onIt said:

Why is everyone obsessed with the green Texas flag? Wouldn't the general public think it's just bad holdover from St.Patrick's Day? 

This is the experience I've had with non-North Texas people.  When I moved into my current house, one of the first things I did was put the battle flag up.  Several neighbors came by to introduce themselves, and all except one said something along the lines of "Is that flag for St Patrick's Day?"  The only neighbor who knew what is was happened to be a La Tech alum who said he'd seen it up at Apogee before.  

I think flying the flag outside of stadium would be a great thing to help the general public realize that the flag is a North Texas symbol.  

• Upvote 3

Unless we are voting on which flag to display in front of your house (unless of course you are living inside of Apogee, in which case we would in fact be voting for a flag outside your house), I think most people are going to be able to make the connection that a giant green Texas flag is more than likely somehow associated with the football stadium  and university.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, meangreen15 said:

When I moved into my current house, one of the first things I did was put the battle flag up.  Several neighbors came by to introduce themselves, and all except one said something along the lines of "Is that flag for St Patrick's Day?" 

I guess it's a function of where you live. I'm in Coppell and a had many neighbors say "Go Mean Green" on their evening walks although not a one of them actually went to NT. 

• Upvote 1