Fans To Vote For Flag Design Outside Apogee Stadium

meangreen15

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/061417aaa.html

June 14, 2017

DENTON – The University of North Texas will be adding a new 120-foot tall flag pole located in between the black lot entrance and Apogee Stadium marquee along Interstate 35. Mean Green Athletics is launching VoteMeanGreen.com for fans to vote on the flag that will fly from the pole, coinciding with Flag Day, President Neal Smatresk and Vice President and director of athletics Wren Baker announced Wednesday.

“We are very excited about this flag, which will be a source of pride for all UNT fans and graduates as well as a tremendous branding and awareness opportunity for our campus,” Baker said. “We thought it would be fun to let fans vote for their favorite design and I look forward to seeing the design our fans select.”

Fans can rank their favorite flag designs from 1-4 and can only submit the form once. The voting period will be for one week, beginning Wednesday, June 14, and concluding Wednesday, June 21. The winning design will be announced on Twitter (@MeanGreenSports) Friday, June 23.

• Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, ipd054 said:

Please God, choose the battle flag.  The others are good but reading a flag going 80 mph will not happen.  

Flags are visual. Quick easy visual is what is needed. That is why most national flags are just colors....

With all the construction that is going on and will be going on, no one will be going 80 anytime soon

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

With all the construction that is going on and will be going on, no one will be going 80 anytime soon

We need to take advantage of this and post the lyrics to the fight song on this flag until I35 construction is completed.   We'll have 1000's of people who know every word after a few weeks!

• Upvote 4

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

We need to take advantage of this and post the lyrics to the fight song on this flag until I35 construction is completed.   We'll have 1000's of people who know every word after a few weeks!

Agreed, but at the rate of construction that UNT is looking at this flag pole may not be up before its completed lol, with the delay for the soccer track, and the IPF delayed announcement. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I would have preferred just the SOW, but absent of that, I like the NORTH TEXAS with the SOW first, Just preference. The Battle Flag has meaning for us hardcore fans, but I'm afraid many who are not connected will look at it and say, "what the hell?" They won't make the connection. Maybe not.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

49 minutes ago, Stix said:

Thinking about it, the one missing option is the battle flag with the SOW replacing the star.  Might that be the best option?

That's cliche. Pretty much every school has something like that. Few have just a straight green and white battle flag. I wish we would use it as a logo, even though it technically is a secondary one.

It also aggravates big schools. And I love that. At least, it pissed off UT fans.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

From Glen Robertson..."Only students and alums know anything about a "Battle Flag". What about the thousands driving down the highway who know nothing about it? Treat this flag as advertising; it's all about name recognition! Learned that in Marketing and Advertising at good ol' NTSU!"

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 10

6 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

(Best solution: North Texas flag 6 days out of the week, with the Battle Flag on game day)

5 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

From Glen Robertson..."Only students and alums know anything about a "Battle Flag". What about the thousands driving down the highway who know nothing about it? Treat this flag as advertising; it's all about name recognition! Learned that in Marketing and Advertising at good ol' NTSU!"

Side Show Joe answered the question before it was even asked.  Impressive.

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

On a somewhat related/unrelated note, I noticed in the student union this past weekend that the words to the fight song are embedded in the floor so you read them as you walk, assuming your face isn't glued in the screen of your phone. 

I wrote in a flag with the imposing motto, "The site formerly known as Sack-N-Save." 

• Upvote 1