UNT 2017 QB Recruiting update

11 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I'm thinking its Martin with the shade that was tossed out tonite on twitter by a certain UNT recruiting account after a recruit went to a different schools camp. 

That tweet was about Kliff inability to beat other P5 schools for recruits. And when they do get a talent they transfer. Nothing to do with the recruit. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I like Brin as well, but to me Brin has a solid offer list, so people won't be mad if its him. Martin people will wonder since we are Martins only D1 offer, which I find it shocking that Martin doesn't have more offers.

Each recruit individually is not liked, disliked, or preferred by the fans solely on offer lists. The fans who talk about offer lists, that is.

But those fans (myself included) get concerned when we see commit after commit choosing us over no one else. Not necessarily because that player individually is going to be bad, but because the evidence suggests that we are limited to mostly recruits with no other FBS schools going after them.

In your post it sounds like you prefer Martin over Brin. The concern is that in these cases, the player we get is not dictated by who we prefer, but rather it is dictated by who other teams leave for us. That's the concern.

In this case, maybe we like Martin more. I care less about offers with QBs because fit is such a huge factor at that position. But across the board in recruiting, if who we get is dictated more by who is left for us than who we prefer, then we are putting ourselves at a huge disadvantage. 

That's where evaluating using offer lists comes into play, not for determining which recruit we prefer.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Each recruit individually is not liked, disliked, or preferred by the fans solely on offer lists. The fans who talk about offer lists, that is.

But those fans (myself included) get concerned when we see commit after commit choosing us over no one else. Not necessarily because that player individually is going to be bad, but because the evidence suggests that we are limited to mostly recruits with no other FBS schools going after them.

In your post it sounds like you prefer Martin over Brin. The concern is that in these cases, the player we get is not dictated by who we prefer, but rather it is dictated by who other teams leave for us. That's the concern.

In this case, maybe we like Martin more. I care less about offers with QBs because fit is such a huge factor at that position. But across the board in recruiting, if who we get is dictated more by who is left for us than who we prefer, then we are putting ourselves at a huge disadvantage. 

That's where evaluating using offer lists comes into play, not for determining which recruit we prefer.

Well said Billy. 

• Upvote 1

1. If whoever this guy is goes to multiple camps around the state and only comes away with an offer from UNT and possibly some FCS schools... that's a positive indicator of his abilities to play QB at the FBS level.
A. True
B. False

2. If whoever this guy is goes to multiple camps around the state and comes away with several offers from FBS schools, including UNT... that's a positive indicator of his abilities to play QB at the FBS level.
A. True
B. False

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

On 6/3/2017 at 3:19 PM, All About UNT said:

Something I was thinking about earlier. Let's say we are actually onto a rising star before others are. And this player really appreciates that and gives a very firm commitment to coming to North Texas. Schools that would prefer him go through the motions before offering, as in come to unofficial or even official visits, now might not offer because they don't see the point. This could be doubly true of our direct competitors who don't want it to appear as if they lost a recruiting competition against us. Let's just wait and see who it is and then take a serious interest in the kids fall camp and senior season.

Counter point:
Given UNT's history of seeing higher-profile recruits flip to the likes of Tech, SMU and UH quite often, what makes you think a school would not offer a guy currently committed to UNT in hopes of trying to flip him...   if they like him.

• Upvote 1

On 6/3/2017 at 10:30 AM, TheReal_jayD said:

The clock is on! Mean Green will have their QB for the 2018 class within the next three weeks. Spoke with him earlier this week. He is finishing camp schedule then committing after last camp in 2 and half weeks. Things could change. But as of yesterday he is excited about possibility for playing for Graham and Seth offense

Three weeks is so long, why do you try and hurt us?! WHY?!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Counter point:
Given UNT's history of seeing higher-profile recruits flip to the likes of Tech, SMU and UH quite often, what makes you think a school would not offer a guy currently committed to UNT in hopes of trying to flip him...   if they like him.

Not saying all schools wouldn't.......but I was more thinking in terms with our contemporaries 

7 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

Not saying all schools wouldn't.......but I was more thinking in terms with our contemporaries 

We've lost recruiting battles to UTSA & LATech as well.  And, judging by their recruiting results, I bet if they liked a player we have committed enough, they would offer & work, in hopes of flipping.  I would expect Littrell & Co to do the same.  
However, when it comes to QB, I bet us running the air raid means we target different guys, so QB recruiting is likely much more picky for each school.  It may just be that Harrell likes what he sees on the Manvel QB's tape for his offense.  We'll see.

24 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Could it be Mr. Allen? I like his offer list

The anticipation is killing me. I'm predicting he goes to LA Tech though. Bowman, who was also offered by LA Tech, committed to Texas Tech a couple of days ago. My guess is that LA Tech then came to Allen and said they wanted him to commit now since their first choice was off the table.

Edited by AustinFromUNT
  • Upvote 1

On 6/3/2017 at 10:30 AM, TheReal_jayD said:

The clock is on! Mean Green will have their QB for the 2018 class within the next three weeks. Spoke with him earlier this week. He is finishing camp schedule then committing after last camp in 2 and half weeks. Things could change. But as of yesterday he is excited about possibility for playing for Graham and Seth offense

Mean Green have their QB for 2018

• Upvote 5