DRC: Former SFA running back plans to transfer to UNT

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Interesting.  There sounds like potential.  A question I have is why his production dropped so significantly his sophomore year.  Also, if he walks on for a year and we put him on ship after a year, he doesn't count against any recruiting class, right?

I believe he would. The rule, as I understood it back with the 2014 class when Mccarney officially announced that spots in that class belonged to Blake Macek, Kenny Buyers, Skip Caldwell, and Kaydon Kirby, is that a player has to play two seasons as a walkon for that team in order to not count towards a class when placed on scholarship.

I'm really not sure about that rule anymore. We seem to have filled up our classes with traditional signings and still had room to put walkons on scholarship who played just one season for us as walkons (Andy Flusche, Sam Rice, etc.)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I'm ready for credit for one story the "DRC" breaks!!! I have been talking Loren for a month now!!!! 

We all know where those stories come from.  No worries. 

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Moobs said:

So they got a WR of ours and we get a RB.  I'm okay with that.

Meh I'd rather keep that trade but least we get something.... eventually

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Let me just go ahead and throw the obvious grenade in here...

...the reason we always get unnecessarily jacked up about transfers - any transfer - is that our recruiting is so consistently sub-par that rarely is any recruited scholarship player's position safe.

Comments made about this kid - who is just fine, nothing wrong with him - will be the same as those made about virtually every transfer we've had come in here since gomeangreen.com first fired up in the newfanged innerwebs:  great potential, overlooked, fresh start, looks fast, etc., etc., etc. 

This isn't simply a knock on Littrell.  It's a knock on pretty much every coach we've had since Hayden Fry left...giving a pass, of course, to Corky Nelson, whose tenure was during the I-AA drop down years.

If we were signing better recruiting classes, kids wouldn't be transferring in here thinking they could get good playing time.

<sigh> 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

On 5/29/2017 at 4:47 PM, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Interesting.  There sounds like potential.  A question I have is why his production dropped so significantly his sophomore year.  Also, if he walks on for a year and we put him on ship after a year, he doesn't count against any recruiting class, right?

I'm guessing that a torn ACL had something to do with his lack of production.  He only played in one game during the 2016 season.  He gained 89 yards on 10 carries.  

3 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

I'm guessing that a torn ACL had something to do with his lack of production.  He only played in one game during the 2016 season.  He gained 89 yards on 10 carries.  

According to Vito, he had 497 yards his sophomore season.  As for the torn ACL, that was in high school.

ACL was high school.  The 497 rushing yards led the Lumberjacks last season:  http://www.sfajacks.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2016-2017/teamcume.html#TEAM.IND

Like us, the 'Jacks run a pass-first offense, so the run game wasn't the focus. 

Perhaps the kids saw that our coaches did to the run game better than SFA even though both were pass offenses and decided he'd like to give it a go.  Either way, hope he can help us win. 

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Let me just go ahead and throw the obvious grenade in here...

...the reason we always get unnecessarily jacked up about transfers - any transfer - is that our recruiting is so consistently sub-par that rarely is any recruited scholarship player's position safe.

Comments made about this kid - who is just fine, nothing wrong with him - will be the same as those made about virtually every transfer we've had come in here since gomeangreen.com first fired up in the newfanged innerwebs:  great potential, overlooked, fresh start, looks fast, etc., etc., etc. 

This isn't simply a knock on Littrell.  It's a knock on pretty much every coach we've had since Hayden Fry left...giving a pass, of course, to Corky Nelson, whose tenure was during the I-AA drop down years.

If we were signing better recruiting classes, kids wouldn't be transferring in here thinking they could get good playing time.

<sigh> 

The question to this recruiting trouble is why is it so hard to get kids to come here while entertaining offers from almost any other FBS school? Dickey had one good class, so did Dodge, but the rest have been nothing to write home about. What's it gonna take?

• Upvote 1