One thing you are excited about

emmitt01

What is one thing that you are excited about going into this season...or perhaps even something you are cautiously optimistic about?

For me it is the added wrinkle of the TE in the passing game.  Kelvin Smith showed flashes of what he could be last year and I am intrigued by what Chumley could do.  I think both of these young men present some real issues for a defense if they block/release over the middle or in the red zone

• Upvote 5

I'm excited to see this defense commit to this system instead of going through the motions. I think we'll be aggressive and visit the opposing teams QB a good bit more this year. D-line looks to be one of the better ones in awhile, secondary will be a continued strength. The only ? will be our LB core.

• Upvote 4

Can I say the fact that UNT 90 is not posting as often 😙

Just joking 😀

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

What is one thing that you are excited about going into this season...or perhaps even something you are cautiously optimistic about?

For me it is the added wrinkle of the TE in the passing game.  Kelvin Smith showed flashes of what he could be last year and I am intrigued by what Chumley could do.  I think both of these young men present some real issues for a defense if they block/release over the middle or in the red zone

Emmitt  I think you bring up a great point. If these young men produce  the way they possibly could it would add a very powerful  option this coming season.  If we have receivers that are able to spread the field this could be really helpful for our quarterbacks 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

The emergence of Caleb Chumley he's a matchup disaster and will either require a bracket coverage (makes Guyton potentially lethal) he had 7 or 8 targets in spring game, caught 3 was over thrown once and dropped 2 got one wrestled away.  Talk about two nice security blankets.  Anything to help relieve pressure from run game. 

You got a glimpse of why Memphis, Oregon St, Missouri, Kansas, Tx State all wanted him at TE.  This dude could be getting ALOT of $ one day in league if he figures it out and works hard. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Just joking 😀

Emmitt  I think you bring up a great point. If these young men produce  the way they possibly could it would add a very powerful  option this coming season.  If we have receivers that are able to spread the field this could be really helpful for our quarterbacks 

They say there is a little truth in every joke.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Not sure if I would call it excitement. But I am anxious to see the development of Fine through the summer and into Fall camp. 

Ben - Excited and worried at the same time. I believe he has the heart and the desire, but there is a reason why you don't see a lot of QB's his size. I really hope he is the exception to the rule.

I'm excited that Brice English (son of former NTSU fullback Lee English.....#33 on your program) will get to show more than just his "potential" this fall......assuming that there IS more.

AND, (and this will come as no surprise to many of you out there), I'm excited about seeing how Mr. Shanbour will do in this fall's QB battle, now that he is being coached/assessed by a coaching staff that believes in his "potential", instead of dismissing his potential due to his sub-6' stature.

I'm also excited about the "potential" of Mr. Chumley. If he keeps developing, he's going to be a mismatch nightmare for many secondary's and linebackers this fall.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm most curious to see how the O-line and QB(s) perform.  But I would have to call that "nervous" rather than "excited."

As for excited, give me the D-line.  Rod Young and English together on the line?  The guy from Muenster ought to be a beast by this fall.  Hambone.  Tillman Johnson will be having his last hurrah, so hopefully he can live up to the potential he flashed his true freshman year.  There are a few other potential solid contributors--Sid Moore, Taualo (sp).  It really ought to be a good unit, which has mostly been a weakness since Dickey left.

15 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

The DL!  Makes me wish they'd run a 4/3.  With Young and Hamilton on the outside and English and Tauaalo on the inside they'd be hard to beat.  Now, depth could be a problem but the front four shall not be moved.

seems kind of contradicting of your comment on the DL. I think if our DL plays to potential, depth will not be an issue whatsoever. The  only depth issue on D will be at LB. We need a guy to step up and have a 2016 Brandon Garner type season while Garner is improving. 

6 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

seems kind of contradicting of your comment on the DL. I think if our DL plays to potential, depth will not be an issue whatsoever. The  only depth issue on D will be at LB. We need a guy to step up and have a 2016 Brandon Garner type season while Garner is improving. 

His point about depth was if we ran a 4-man front.

If Littrell could take the team he inherited from 1-11 to 5-8 (one overtime drive away from 6-7), I wanna see what he can do with some of his players and another year under the belt of the experienced players. I'm not football smart enough to point out any specific units or players that will make things better.  

The rise of Rico Bussey into all-conference WR.   Hoping he's getting stronger this offseason so he's not bit by the injury bug again.  
Guyton is exciting and I'm glad Smiley is back, but by the time UAB rolls around, Bussey will have established himself as the #1 target.
If he can get through the season, he'll have something like: 75/1000/13.

• Upvote 2

The majority seem buoyed by the potential of the defensive line.  I agree.  The thing that scares me most is the offensive line and that, in my humble opinion, is the most important factor on offense.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:18 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

Just joking 😀

Strangely, I've missed '90.  I didn't agree with him/her often, but I did enjoy the passion.  Also, of course, the -1s that used to belong to '90 now are showing up on my tally.

Edited by GTWT
  • Downvote 1