Give me Liberty or give me death!

Brett Vito

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Point to ponder, does a new NT support organization need to be established run by the fans?

Like... GoMeanGreen.com?

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Stix said:

Like... GoMeanGreen.com?

Agreed. I kind think that GMG is underutilized a bit. And I am not insulting the job Harry has done with this board before anyone jumps to crazy conclusions. 

I think this site could be a good source of fundraising for concrete items or projects and GMG could connect people with other alum face to face with GMG socials or what have you. It could grow the board and the fan base in general. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Stix said:

Like... GoMeanGreen.com?

No, not to me.   GMG is a fan website and is ran by a very strong supporter in Harry, but it certainly does not meet the club definition.  GMG is an excellent communication source for fans and that is were it's focus should remain.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

18 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Agreed. I kind think that GMG is underutilized a bit. And I am not insulting the job Harry has done with this board before anyone jumps to crazy conclusions. 

I think this site could be a good source of fundraising for concrete items or projects and GMG could connect people with other alum face to face with GMG socials or what have you. It could grow the board and the fan base in general. 

I just disagree.

If I was AD, there would be even more distance between this forum and S Bonnie Brae than there is now.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

32 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

I just disagree.

If I was AD, there would be even more distance between this forum and S Bonnie Brae than there is now.

Nothing would need to be held on campus and the only line of communication with the AD would need to be Harry or the one person he designates. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, wardly said:

FYI, New Mexico State and Liberty just signed a home and home for 2018 and 2019. That 2 games per year for a total of 4 in 2 years. The Aggies were kicked out of the SBC, and the Flames were rejected. Tough to be an independent.

New Mexico (as in MWC New Mexico) also has a home-and-home with Liberty.  But I don't believe I've ever heard of two teams scheduling to play each other 4 times in 2 seasons before.

I just saw that Turner Gill is the coach at Liberty.  He could have them competitive quickly.

On 5/12/2017 at 1:59 PM, DentonLurker said:

Again, it's less about the actual Army game and more about preparing yourself for the rest of the year.

Then people (whether those people are ADs, coaches, reporters, or fans) should stop making up stuff about injuries.

In the Mean Green Blog post about Littrell's presser the week after the regular season Army game, Vito wrote "UNT should be a little healthier this week after getting through the Army game in pretty good shape."  Every single player who started on D against Army in the regular season game played the next week.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BeatNavy said:

Then people (whether those people are ADs, coaches, reporters, or fans) should stop making up stuff about injuries.

In the Mean Green Blog post about Littrell's presser the week after the regular season Army game, Vito wrote "UNT should be a little healthier this week after getting through the Army game in pretty good shape."  Every single player who started on D against Army in the regular season game played the next week.

It is about the potential of injuries due to the cut block that Army, your Navy team and Air Force employ.  As I linked in an article above, this is legal but considered dirty and many teams that use this "technique" do not allow their team to do this in practice.

More to the point, CUSA is full of teams that run the spread option or a variation, so why should we adjust our defensive preparation in the middle of the year to prepare for Army?  I love scheduling the service academies, but for a program looking to improve, removing potential obstacles to this improvement is smart scheduling like it or not.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

41 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

It is about the potential of injuries due to the cut block that Army, your Navy team and Air Force employ.  As I linked in an article above, this is legal but considered dirty and many teams that use this "technique" do not allow their team to do this in practice.

More to the point, CUSA is full of teams that run the spread option or a variation, so why should we adjust our defensive preparation in the middle of the year to prepare for Army?  I love scheduling the service academies, but for a program looking to improve, removing potential obstacles to this improvement is smart scheduling like it or not.

The article you linked was on pro football teams that used the cut block during games but did not cut block in practice.  Unless Army's head football coach has changed his coaching style since he left Georgia Southern I would have to say that he has his team using the same blocking schemes in practice as he uses in games.  I would expect Navy,Air Force and Georgia Tech  do the same. Now if you could link an article where one of these teams did not cut block in practice it would be a different story.

17 minutes ago, ValleyBoy said:

The article you linked was on pro football teams that used the cut block during games but did not cut block in practice.  Unless Army's head football coach has changed his coaching style since he left Georgia Southern I would have to say that he has his team using the same blocking schemes in practice as he uses in games.  I would expect Navy,Air Force and Georgia Tech  do the same. Now if you could link an article where one of these teams did not cut block in practice it would be a different story.

So you condone the cut block?

Why does that change the story?  The article I linked noted that the cut block is considered one of the dirtiest plays in football, although legal.  It didn't differentiate between Pee Wee, Jr. High, High School, College or the Pros.  Dirty is dirty.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, BeatNavy said:

There are actually people on this board who likely believe Army and the other academies play dirty.  I think statistics bear out that they are among the least penalized schools in all of college football.  They simply run fewer plays more often in practice; so, they get better at executing.  That's option offense. 

(By the way, it's hard to believe a coaching staff led by a former Oklahoma prep and Sooner fullback would shy away from playing against option schools.) 

Anyway, UNT-Army was an excellent series. For whatever reason, our new coaches and AD, though, fear it.  It's a little bit more than pathetic.  Worse is to replace the series - straight up replace it - with a home and home against a school that is basically still an FCS start up.  

I love my alma mater, but will laugh if Liberty beats us up there. It could happen.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On 5/13/2017 at 9:15 PM, wardly said:

I believe New Mexico State and Idaho played each other twice in one season a few years ago.

Couldn't find it looking back to 2008.   If it happened, before then or because I overlooked it,  I'm assuming this played out because of a bowl matchup.

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

This is a pretty good indicator that you shouldn't be a FBS program...

Why do you say that? IMO, this is better discussed in a thread about too many bowls...not the legitimacy of your program.

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

There are actually people on this board who likely believe Army and the other academies play dirty.  I think statistics bear out that they are among the least penalized schools in all of college football.  They simply run fewer plays more often in practice; so, they get better at executing.  That's option offense. 

(By the way, it's hard to believe a coaching staff led by a former Oklahoma prep and Sooner fullback would shy away from playing against option schools.) 

Anyway, UNT-Army was an excellent series. For whatever reason, our new coaches and AD, though, fear it.  It's a little bit more than pathetic.  Worse is to replace the series - straight up replace it - with a home and home against a school that is basically still an FCS start up.  

I love my alma mater, but will laugh if Liberty beats us up there. It could happen.

I never said they play dirty, but that they employ a blocking technique that has a history of leading to injuries.

Our coaches and AD do not fear Army, they stated that it basically takes them out of their normal preparation schedule due to the service academies running an offense that is obsolete.

26 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

So you condone the cut block?

Why does that change the story?  The article I linked noted that the cut block is considered one of the dirtiest plays in football, although legal.  It didn't differentiate between Pee Wee, Jr. High, High School, College or the Pros.  Dirty is dirty.

Yes I condone cut blocking because it is part of the game and I do not want to see how the game would be effected if the cut block is removed for the game.  Another article that talks about cut blocking written during the same time frame as the article you linked that goes into how the game would change if cut blocks were outlawed.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/12/04/cut-blocks-army-navy-air-force-georgia-tech/1746437/

Spread offenses use crack back blocking as well, especially on bubble screens.  It was used so much that coaches started complaining about it and got a rule change in 2011.  But, it still happens on bubble screens, same as it happens in option attacks. 

It's a cop out to say a spread crack back is any more or less dangerous than a run game crack back block.

Wren Baker gave a flimsy excuse for cancelling two games of a good Army series and replacing them with Liberty; that's all there is to it.  He's likely learned his lesson about over-explaining his decisions. 

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Couldn't find it looking back to 2008.   If it happened, before then or because I overlooked it,  I'm assuming this played out because of a bowl matchup.

Why do you say that? IMO, this is better discussed in a thread about too many bowls...not the legitimacy of your program.

If you have to schedule the same team twice in one season because you can't find enough people to play seems to me like it's a pretty good sign that playing FCS would be a better fit for them.

16 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Spread offenses use crack back blocking as well, especially on bubble screens.  It was used so much that coaches started complaining about it and got a rule change in 2011.  But, it still happens on bubble screens, same as it happens in option attacks. 

It's a cop out to say a spread crack back is any more or less dangerous than a run game crack back block.

Wren Baker gave a flimsy excuse for cancelling two games of a good Army series and replacing them with Liberty; that's all there is to it.  He's likely learned his lesson about over-explaining his decisions. 

We cancelled the Army games to schedule a prominent home game in 2019. Liberty filled the void left by cancelling the away game with Army. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

The crack back block and the cut block are two different techniques.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1