Give me Liberty or give me death!

Brett Vito

So now we schedule teams, or not, based on the type of offense they run ?  Army, West Point, is one of those schools that the next word isn't "who ?"

It seems to me that dropping West Point for a road game to Liberty is hard on a program. 

I'm in this Mean Green thing for life.  I just hope that during my lifetime we can play and compete with teams I don't have to explain to friends.

GO MEAN GREEN (but not to West Point.  They're offense is too hard)

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, UNT Five&Dime said:

2019 was cleared for something. Seems logical to cancel a set of games in a series instead of just one game. Liberty was able to fill the void left in 2018.

Exactly. Look for us to host a very attractive opponent in 2019. Couldn't have happened if we kept the Army games. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

OOC games in the last 10 years of decrepit, toilet bowl Fouts, while we were in the Sun Belt: (bolded teams are power teams when we played them, green teams were FCS and not provisional teams moving up)

2001--TCU     2002--Nicholls State and South Florida    2003--Baylor    2004--Florida Atlantic   2005--Tulsa   2006--SMU and La Tech  2007--Navy  2008--Tulsa 

2009--Ohio and Army   2010--Rice and Kansas State

OOC games held at Apogee or will be held at Apogee since its opening in 2011

2011--Houston and Indiana    2012--Texas Southern   2013-- Idaho and Ball State    2014--SMU and Nicholls State  2015--Portland State  2016--SMU and Bethune-Cookman

2017-Lamar and Army   2018--SMU and Incarnate Word   2019--Abilene Christian and Army  2020--SMU and Houston Baptist  2021--Rhode Island and Liberty 2022--SMU

2023--Memphis   2024--SMU     2027--Texas Tech

I have to go out to 2027 to HOPE we play as many power league teams in Denton at Apogee as we did for the last 10 years of the worst stadium in America hosted. Meanwhile, in the same time frame, we will have played 9 FCS teams at Apogee between 2011 and 2021, when we played exactly one in Nicholls State, while playing at Fouts as a member of the Suck Belt.

Scheduling is the worst thing we do here as a program--and that is really saying something when you factor in the other huge issues we deal with or don't deal with as a program.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, TheTastyGreek said:

The rest of the plan is not contingent on this change. We swapped Army for Liberty, with no sweeteners or concessions, and it's dumb. 

Anything else that happens didn't need this to happen. We can see it in isolation, since we literally swapped A for B, and I think it's dumb as hell. 

This is what I have been trying to point out since the announcement. When it came to light, Wren pointed out "scheduling maneuvering" to pat us on the head and get anyone who second guessed it to stfu. And his reasoning of it being too difficult of a game is complete and utter bullshit. I really hope Littrell didn't have anything to do with dropping 2 games off this series. Outside of SMU, and maybe even better, the Army series is the best long term OOC series this program has ever had. And he forfeited two of these games for LIBERTY. It still begs to be asked, why Liberty? And how, in his opinion, does Liberty "create a schedule that pleases fans." It's worse, easily. This was botched. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 4

53 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

@Brett Vito had 2019 as being dropped from the schedule even though the Liberty series is for 2018 and 2021. That's what I'm going off of unless Brett has the years wrong.

If that's true, then we would be dumping 2020, as well. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

OOC games in the last 10 years of decrepit, toilet bowl Fouts, while we were in the Sun Belt: (bolded teams are power teams when we played them, green teams were FCS and not provisional teams moving up)

2001--TCU     2002--Nicholls State and South Florida    2003--Baylor    2004--Florida Atlantic   2005--Tulsa   2006--SMU and La Tech  2007--Navy  2008--Tulsa 

2009--Ohio and Army   2010--Rice and Kansas State

OOC games held at Apogee or will be held at Apogee since its opening in 2011

2011--Houston and Indiana    2012--Texas Southern   2013-- Idaho and Ball State    2014--SMU and Nicholls State  2015--Portland State  2016--SMU and Bethune-Cookman

2017-Lamar and Army   2018--SMU and Incarnate Word   2019--Abilene Christian and Army  2020--SMU and Houston Baptist  2021--Rhode Island and Liberty 2022--SMU

2023--Memphis   2024--SMU     2027--Texas Tech

I have to go out to 2027 to HOPE we play as many power league teams in Denton at Apogee as we did for the last 10 years of the worst stadium in America hosted. Meanwhile, in the same time frame, we will have played 9 FCS teams at Apogee between 2011 and 2021, when we played exactly one in Nicholls State, while playing at Fouts as a member of the Suck Belt.

Scheduling is the worst thing we do here as a program--and that is really saying something when you factor in the other huge issues we deal with or don't deal with as a program.

Did you miss the news that we dropped the Army game in 2019 for a yet unnamed better opponent? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

Liberty is but a small piece of a bigger puzzle. Clearing out dates from the Army series helps create opportunities to schedule some schools NT fans hopefully are still interested in.

Did you not read a single of of what @TheTastyGreek just wrote. The schedule is book ended until 2022. We can't drop a current home FCS game for a difficult game. That in fact would be too difficult, unlike playing Army like the AD said. All other slots are booked up unless we pull out of our Mizzou or Arkansas game to free up a home date. That would be fine. It would create a 7 game homev schedule for 1 year and have a compelling home game. But that's unlikely, because we're a starved program. 

The dropping of Army in 2019 was not the initial report. It was 2018 & 2021, to my knowledge. So if 2019 is being dropped, we have to assume 2020 is being dropped as well. I just hope for F sake it's not a hard offense. Just not too, too tough. 

The question still resonates, why Liberty? This isn't pleasing. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

This part of the article has me confused. 

UNT wants to play a team from the Football Championship Subdivision, (Got that covered)

a game against a Group of Five opponent that is a part of a home-and-home series that UNT has a reasonable chance of winning, (I really hope that we think we have a reasonable chance to beat every G5 team)

a Group of Five opponent it is evenly matched with (See my above statement)

and a fourth non-conference game that will give UNT a chance to pull an upset. (We've had a few seasons that beating anybody would be considered an upset.)

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

NOT CONCERNED. All is well. I have complete trust and confidence in our Administration and AD to make the right decisions. Oh by the way, Liberty will not be an easy win.

semi highjack but it appears that Liberty is signing a lot of juco talent... here is the latest:

19 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

The dropping of Army in 2019 was not the initial report. It was 2018 & 2021, to my knowledge. So if 2019 is being dropped, we have to assume 2020 is being dropped as well.

The question still resonates, why Liberty? This isn't pleasing. 

Why do we need to make that assumption? A 4 game series is left. I believe reports have always said the '18/'19 games were canceled with Army (or no specifics originally). Can't help it if someone assumed it was '18/'21 because of the Liberty series.

Why Liberty? I doubt there's too many teams that have '18 home and '21 road open on their schedule. Any other option would likely cost money NT doesn't have.

6 minutes ago, UNT Five&Dime said:

Why do we need to make that assumption? A 4 game series is left. I believe reports have always said the '18/'19 games were canceled with Army (or no specifics originally). Can't help it if someone assumed it was '18/'21 because of the Liberty series.

Why Liberty? I doubt there's too many teams that have '18 home and '21 road open on their schedule. Any other option would likely cost money NT doesn't have.

Give me to this evening, I'll tell you every open 2018 and 2021 open dates, actual FBS ones. 

8 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Give me to this evening, I'll tell you every open 2018 and 2021 open dates, actual FBS ones. 

Just a heads up, I don't really care.

But, I'm only interested in someone having both. That's why Liberty. No need to buy a game to host an FCS Eastern Washington and no need to sell a game to get an ass beating on the road. I'd be willing to bet NT is out no money this way and will most likely get two wins.

edited to remove FCS since you clearly stated you were looking FBS

Edited by UNT Five&Dime
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

but you are not listening that the chess pieces are moving.  Nothing on paper today will be the same when this plays out.  "JUST GIVE WREN A CHANCE"  I think he has earned that

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

And is it just me, but did anyone else sense the apathetic comment of, "No one really wants to play North Texas." Poor lil ole North Texas, the engine that could but never did. 

3 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

How, exactly, has WB "earned" a chance?

I thought the same thing when I read it. Just looked over it as apologist talk. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

People as I stated in the other thread this a move for scheduling 2 teams home & home that everyone will like and negotiating with

others. Liberty needed the 2018 date for FBS transition(3 mandated FBS home games by NCAA).I hope all of you that complain

buy season tickets when everything shakes out.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Hard to know exactly what is going on since it was originally reported that the 2018 and 2021 Army games were being replaced with Liberty in 2018 and 2021, which as many have pointed out does not make a lot of sense for a straight up swap.  If something different is actually occurring it may be a different story.  

For example, if the 2018 and 2019 Army games were dropped and the 2021 Rhode Island game was dropped and replaced with games against Liberty in 2018 and 2021 thereby giving us an open date for a home game in 2019, then that can start to make more sense.

However, just a straight up swap of a series with Army for a series with Liberty seems kind of RV'ish.  But then again, maybe we received some magic beans to sweeten the deal.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ttunt1970 said:

People as I stated in the other thread this a move for scheduling 2 teams home & home that everyone will like and negotiating with

others. Liberty needed the 2018 date for FBS transition(3 mandated FBS home games by NCAA).I hope all of you that complain

buy season tickets when everything shakes out.

Getting teams that everyone will like better than Army is a tall order. Of course, you can't please everyone, but I am willing to place money down that 95% of our fans would rather watch us play Army rather than Liberty.

• Upvote 6