Give me Liberty or give me death!

Brett Vito

On 5/17/2017 at 4:04 PM, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I went to the Bama vs UNT game, the UT vs UNT game, the OU vs UNT games, and those stadiums were packed.    I believe UNT playing Liberty U is no further a step down game than those schools playing UNT

giphy.gif

On 5/17/2017 at 4:04 PM, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I went to the Bama vs UNT game, the UT vs UNT game, the OU vs UNT games, and those stadiums were packed.    I believe UNT playing Liberty U is no further a step down game than those schools playing UNT

Let's go ahead and put this in its proper perspective:
(1) Those schools have sold out their season ticket allotments before the season begins. 
(2) They are sold out based on the loyalty to the school and quality of the football program (on the field quality, not necessarily off the field).
(3) For their spring games, tens of thousands more people pack their stands than we get for our best in-season home game.

We don't sell out our season tickets before the season starts because we do not have the kind of football program that makes alumni and t-shirt fans clamor for ourproduct by the tens of thousands, okay?

Therefore, for us,the opponent does matter because we are struggling like hell to get just 2/3rds of the tickets sold for any game.  Forget about actually getting the 2/3rds sold actually in the stadium for a game.

So, I say this with all due respect:  Liberty U. playing us is, indeed, a further step down than Bama/UT/OU playing us.  They play FCS schools to sell out crowds who bought tickets in the spring for the entire season. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

30 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

giphy.gif

Let's go ahead and put this in its proper perspective:
(1) Those schools have sold out their season ticket allotments before the season begins. 
(2) They are sold out based on the loyalty to the school and quality of the football program (on the field quality, not necessarily off the field).
(3) For their spring games, tens of thousands more people pack their stands than we get for our best in-season home game.

We don't sell out our season tickets before the season starts because we do not have the kind of football program that makes alumni and t-shirt fans clamor for ourproduct by the tens of thousands, okay?

Therefore, for us,the opponent does matter because we are struggling like hell to get just 2/3rds of the tickets sold for any game.  Forget about actually getting the 2/3rds sold actually in the stadium for a game.

So, I say this with all due respect:  Liberty U. playing us is, indeed, a further step down than Bama/UT/OU playing us.  They play FCS schools to sell out crowds who bought tickets in the spring for the entire season. 

People want to -1 this post because of the truth to it. Meanwhile, UNT fans are....

Image result for everything is ok gif

• Upvote 2

On 5/17/2017 at 5:51 PM, Cerebus said:

The fans do come.  The sad fact is there very few of us, not enough to come close to selling out Apogee.

If you want more people to come, people who might become fans, then you better win consistently for years or bring someone in that they want to see. 

No you are wrong. People who don't give a shit about this program are supposed to magically start caring about it just because a couple die-hards think they should

My biggest issue with all of this is that people believe we are just fine with a new stadium hosting spare teams when we were told and promised that we would get better OOC teams here than we ever got at decrepit, toilet bowl Fouts. Instead, the exact opposite has occurred--and too many people on here think its no big deal. I still cannot believe that people go to watch us play FCS teams--that is such an insult to your intelligence and your wallet, when you and I were told that better teams than the FBS teams we hosted at Fouts for OOC play. I get that Liberty is FBS, in the same way FAU or USF were when they came here in the early 00's for OOC games. But, again, we were playing games in a stadium that wasn't as nice as your average 4A Texas HS recruit's home stadium. It was literally the worst home field in college football.

Then, we finally find a way to build Apogee, about as nice a stadium in all of the G5, and we get sold Texas Southern as the only OOC home game in 2012. Then, just three years late, we get Portland State as the only home game in OOC for the 2015 disastrous season. I get that these FCS spares were scheduled by the previous AD, that the new one had literally nothing to do with it. But he's got to get this Army replacement team right--and there is just no way that anyone should think its just gonna work out fine because we have a new AD. That's not how this place has ever worked before, and frankly, you'd be smart to prepare yourself for a home opponent that replaces Army being a team that will not make as much sense--because that is what we do here when it comes to football. It very rarely makes sense.

Look, maybe Baker does pull the rabbit out of his hat and OSU, Mizzou, Tech, KU, KSU, or Colorado end up playing here in 2019. I will immediately praise him for being the best AD for scheduling in our history if he can pull this off. But there just isn't any reason for most of us to view this decision as a positive sign for us scheduling a better team to play when Army is a solid G5 program for us to play, both in competition and in attendance. Again, a lot has to play out, and the idea of being patient is prudent. But so far, it looks just like TFLF has said--that Ian McCaw as a former AD at Baylor just took our new guy, Wren Baker, to the cleaners on a deal that makes absolutely no sense.

• Upvote 3