Give me Liberty or give me death!

Brett Vito

3 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

No credibility posting anything Saban is ranting about. He bitches left and right and praises all opponents just so his players don't get complacent. But I get what you're saying though. 

This was during a press conference several years after the Tides game against Georgia Southern.

Doesn't matter.  The point should not be how "tough" it is to play Army.  The issue is whether Liberty is a suitable home and home replacement after buying out of two Army games.

The answer for most of us is, no. 

Maybe Wren learns a lesson here, though:  no matter why you are changing a contract, do not tell why.  And, for pete's sake, don't say it's because the games are too tough!  Can't imagine the defensive players enjoy being thrown under the bus publicly like that...even if it might be true.   

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Locker Rooms and Athletic complex reno have been in the works for a while. And please correct me if I am wrong, an IPF has been in the masterplan since 2013 (or 2012)? 

Yes, I get the Liberty series = schedule flexibility. I also get that I don't care. If his life depended on finding another option, he would have. Not to say his life his depending on anything, just using it figuratively. 

It doesn't make any sense. I wish he had never said any of that. 

Being in a masterplan and making it happen are two different things.

The Liberty series, as I understand it, is the first step in a multiple step process.  It appears Baker would have preferred to announce all the changes at once.

They didn't say it was physically taxing.  They referred to the injury problem caused by Army's cut blocking scheme along their offensive line.

Be factual, don't twist meanings to fit your opinion.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Being in a masterplan and making it happen are two different things.

The Liberty series, as I understand it, is the first step in a multiple step process.  It appears Baker would have preferred to announce all the changes at once.

They didn't say it was physically taxing.  They referred to the injury problem caused by Army's cut blocking scheme along their offensive line.

Be factual, don't twist meanings to fit your opinion.

I am being factual. It's bs. 12 other teams are going to face it and manage. And 12 more teams will face Navy. And 12 more Ga Tech. And 12 more New Mexico. And 12 more Air Force. Etc. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

It's a double edge sword to be realistic. I don't think we're going to nail down the likes of OU, UT, LSU, ATM, or even OkieSt in a home and home. I think we could all agree to that. Wren may be working on a deal with universities such as KU, Vandy, IASt, etc. I'm sorry, but you down hip check Army off of your schedule to bring in the likes of Vandy, KU, or an Iowa State. You just don't. You can't rid SMU series either. So, you cut your losses at a couple FCS opponents to free up that scheduling and pay them off and hope that the revenue created from that 1 P5 home game will outweigh the payout for the two FCS teams bought out. My guess is that it would, easily. But, one also has to wonder what we had to give up to release ourselves out of 2 Army games. Either way, then the issue of having a very difficult schedule actually does come into play with this scenario. It would make for a damn fine home schedule for one football season, but the W/L record may take a hit. The best move would have been to rearrange the Army series as he is doing, but do it in years that will line up to fit your need of a potential home and home with X university. Not plugging Liberty in these offsetting years to free up scheduling and leaving an ex-Army date open. By doing that, you get do lose 2 Army games as we are anyways, but you're also replacing those 2 games with a home and home with whatever local P5 available. This also leaves Liberty the F off the schedule. And more importantly UNT out of Lynchburg, Virginia. Now I am sure there are intricacies to this that I am absolutely unaware of. But we can't just assume that all options were exhausted and all roads led to Lynchburg, Virginia.   

I heard the 2 teams we get are Missouri and Okie St to replace Army.....If that is the case....I am good to go.....would that work for you???

6 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I heard the 2 teams we get are Missouri and Okie St to replace Army.....If that is the case....I am good to go.....would that work for you???

That would be huge and I would tell you that Wren Baker is a freaking genius if it plays this way, with MIzzou and Okie Lite playing at Apogee

5 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Just going by the programs, yes. I think that would be great. I would like to know dates and who is front and back end. But I would be very pleased with Mizzou and Okie St and I would email Wren Baker to express that. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

Just going by the programs, yes. I think that would be great. I would like to know dates and who is front and back end. But I would be very pleased with Mizzou and Okie St and I would email Wren Baker to express that. 

To be honest with you....I just made that up based on WB's past relationships.  But, the end results is that there are acceptable alternatives that you would be happy with.  Let's see what those actual alternatives are before criticizing Baker to the point of absurdity 

• Downvote 1

Just now, MeanGreen_MBA said:

To be honest with you....I just made that up based on WB's past relationships.  But, the end results is that there are acceptable alternatives that you would be happy with.  Let's see what those actual alternatives are before criticizing Baker to the point of absurdity 

I'm not criticizing Wren Baker. I'm criticizing the decision to make Liberty a home and home series. What ever domino falls thereafter is unknown. All I know is the known and the known is very ugly. Even if we do get say Mizzou and Okie St in alternating years in a home and home contract, it still makes the Liberty series ugly. I mean shit, we literally might as well schedule up with ACU or Lamar for a home and home. Because Texans will be looking at that @Liberty game on our schedule and will think the same of it. 

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I'm not criticizing Wren Baker. I'm criticizing the decision to make Liberty a home and home series. What ever domino falls thereafter is unknown. All I know is the known and the known is very ugly. Even if we do get say Mizzou and Okie St in alternating years in a home and home contract, it still makes the Liberty series ugly. I mean shit, we literally might as well schedule up with ACU or Lamar for a home and home. Because Texans will be looking at that @Liberty game on our schedule and will think the same of it. 

Except Liberty counts as an FBS win. We're almost guaranteed a 2-2 OOC record the years we play Liberty. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's just disappointing removing Army, which even though they are not a powerhouse program, they still have a solid APR and play solid programs and downgrading to Liberty. 

The only solid thing about this is if we are able to get out of the 2nd game without having to pay anything. 

6 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I agree, but why don't we see how this plays out before we all storm the AD?!? The ignorance on this board right now is astounding.  

For the life of me I don't see how swapping Army for Liberty will bring a P5 to Apogee.  Even if it does I don't think trading a winnable Army game for a home loss to a P5 is a good thing.  Add to that the fact that I don't like being on the same continent with Liberty, much less the same field.  And I certainly don't want to visit them.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, GTWT said:

For the life of me I don't see how swapping Army for Liberty will bring a P5 to Apogee.  Even if it does I don't think trading a winnable Army game for a home loss to a P5 is a good thing.  Add to that the fact that I don't like being on the same continent with Liberty, much less the same field.  And I certainly don't want to visit them.

I don't know where the P5 team came from to be honest as none of the teams I heard was a P5. The two teams I heard are considered top shelf G5 teams.

Wren is a very smart guy. Wren is playing his cards right.

I too was at the Dallas Coaching Caravan. While there, I was able to talk to several key athletic managers, and coaching staff members.

I suggest people should stop ragging on Wren, and the Army games. Wren is securing commitments on games that will impress the Mean Green fans.

I would not expect the Liberty games to be on the schedule for long. Army is talking to Liberty too.

Recruiting is going very very well right now! The 2018 class will be a great class.

Have faith Mean Green fans! Good things are coming our way!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I don't know where the P5 team came from to be honest as none of the teams I heard was a P5. The two teams I heard are considered top shelf G5 teams.

Oh joy. Well that narrows the list. 

Boise, UH, SDSU, Temple, USF, Colorado State, ECU, some random MAC school, etc. Not sure any of these will outdraw Army outside of UH. And UH, or any of these other programs, should not be dubbed as a marquee home and home. If true, this news is even more disappointing than I originally thought. Surely this can't be accurate. 

4 minutes ago, Charlie NT 73 said:

Wren is a very smart guy. Wren is playing his cards right.

I too was at the Dallas Coaching Caravan. While there, I was able to talk to several key athletic managers, and coaching staff members.

I suggest people should stop ragging on Wren, and the Army games. Wren is securing commitments on games that will impress the Mean Green fans.

I would not expect the Liberty games to be on the schedule for long. Army is talking to Liberty too.

Recruiting is going very very well right now! The 2018 class will be a great class.

Have faith Mean Green fans! Good things are coming our way!

Huh? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

RV already had us playing Mizzou at Mizzou in 2021.  Oklahoma State's next opening that would correspond with ours is 2022.  Final game in the Army series is slated for 2020.  

So, can we stop with the, "It was switched to get Oklahoma State" bit.  It was never necessary to drop Army/switch for Liberty to get Oklahoma State.  The game was never there where we and Oklahoma State had room to schedule anyway. 

Same with Mizzou.  No schedule break to match us until 2022.  And, again...Army series will be complete by then.

What happened with the Liberty - Army scheduling is that former Baylor AD Ian McCaw jobbed Wren Baker.  Army and Liberty have nothing to do with them.   

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I completely agree. Running from something that you may perceive to be tough is a pussy foot move. And if that comment gets out, will get us laughed at more than we already are. Good thing about that comment getting out or not, no one cares about us at all. So, at least we have that going for us. Maybe this Liberty home n home will turn a new leaf and get us that national exposure we've been waiting for. 

There is no justifying this series. I wish people would stop trying to do so. With that said, Wren needs to overnight a pen to whichever AD he's in negotiations with so this mega series of the century can be released. As for now or until then, the same ole incompetence is oozing out of the athletic complex front doors. 

Are you sure you don't want to edit your post? This is not a wise comment

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Are you sure you don't want to edit your post? This is not a wise comment

Made it G-ish rated. If he didn't want it leaked before the whole picture could be displayed then he needs to find his rat, if in fact it was leaked by North Texas. My comments are what they are. If it offends anyone on the inside, then so be it. It at least let's them know people care I guess. 

• Downvote 5