Give me Liberty or give me death!

Brett Vito

4 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Exactly. Look for us to host a very attractive opponent in 2019.

I hate that we're playing a school like Liberty.

I hate that we're not playing Army.

This move was as stupid as anything I've see at North Texas, and that includes dropping to IAA.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 6

27 minutes ago, GTWT said:

This move was as stupid as anything I've see at North Texas, and that includes dropping to IAA.

Don't go crazy...nothing will ever be as dumb as that 1-AA fiasco. It killed generations of previous fans and potential fans during those years. We've never recovered from it...

of course, scheduling Liberty for home and home is not really helping us, either...

• Upvote 5

I read the article, and still don't like the series, or understand the logic.

If Army had to be dropped in 18 and 19, we could have just added New Mexico State to play at Apogee for both games. Those guys are hanging on to their FBS dreams by a fingernail. Right now, NMSU only has 6 games scheduled for 2018 and 5 for 2019. There was no need to give Liberty and home and home.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

I read the article, and still don't like the series, or understand the logic.

If Army had to be dropped in 18 and 19, we could have just added New Mexico State to play at Apogee for both games. Those guys are hanging on to their FBS dreams by a fingernail. Right now, NMSU only has 6 games scheduled for 2018 and 5 for 2019. There was no need to give Liberty and home and home.

It's kind of the same idiocy that scheduling FCS teams besides the two who would bring fans to our games in SFA and SHSU. Instead, we schedule Rhode Island and Portland State...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Count me among those choosing to trust Wren when he seems to clearly indicate that both Liberty and Army are the initial steps in a process he's taking to reshape the schedule  I don't understand the need to evaluate these moves as if they're in a vacuum - part of the draw is that Liberty would seem to have greater date flexibility than would Army.  I'm expecting these moves were made based on a greater need to accommodate a to be announced series.

I can also appreciate the consideration given to our coaches/players needs regarding the schedule.  We lucked out in 2016 to have off dates immediately before each Army game.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

Reading this thread makes me wonder if RV is back in charge of the AD office.  

I'm disappointed to lose two of the Army games but I can understand that they have their reasons.  I wish Vito could have dug a little deeper and gotten more information, though.  

3 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Mark my words.  By 2021 Liberty will be a full member of CUSA and we'll get Tulsa'd for OOC home game scheduling. 

More likely by then CUSA will have split into different conferences. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Mark my words.  By 2021 Liberty will be a full member of CUSA and we'll get Tulsa'd for OOC home game scheduling. 

I believe the contract between ESPN and the LHN expires in 2021. Expect to see another significant shift in realignment at this time. Hopefully we'll be heading out while they're heading in. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Don't worry, if so, Wren will forget to send them the check.

So we traded two games with one of the most prestigious institutions in the country (with a rich, glorious football history that every football fan has heard of) for two games with a controversial fundamentalist religious school with a start-up football program that has no following? 

I'm sorry, I want Wren to succeed very badly, but like some of you have said, this is dumb.

smoo already fills that slot on the calendar. Seems like a duplicate. 

• Upvote 2

Jumping the gun a bit here folks...you should be very pleased when you find out who the Army replacement happens to be.  Lots of good info to be had at the Caravans.  Nice crowd at the Denton Caravan...I would estimate better than Dallas...less than Plano.  Shame on Dallas!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

Never gonna happen.   Rice would rather go FCS than be in that conference.  I don't know what NT leadership will feel like in 2021, but right now we would never allow it either.  We aren't the only ones.  Everyone on this forum always forgets this, but FIU is a top research school as well.  

14 hours ago, GTWT said:

It sounds like you and everyone else are just pissed we're not playing Army. 

I'm surprised so many people can't see the logic in this move. We're dropping two games with Army so we can bring a marquee opponent to Apogee in 2019.  To balance out the schedule we had to set the home-and-home with Liberty. Yes, they are not the ideal choice, but it cost us ZERO dollars and SHOULD be games we WIN. You can't say that playing Army.

Scheduling two one-off games would have cost us money or would have forced us to schedule home-and-home series with two universities, which would kill our scheduling flexibility. This fanbase has been bitching to play big name school at Apogee and now that we have an AD who is making it happen people are bitching because we had to cut two games with Army. You can't have your cake and eat it too. It was either cut the Army series or the SMU series and Wren made the right choice hands down. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

It sounds like you and everyone else are just pissed we're not playing Army. 

I'm surprised so many people can't see the logic in this move. We're dropping two games with Army so we can bring a marquee opponent to Apogee in 2019.  To balance out the schedule we had to set the home-and-home with Liberty. Yes, they are not the ideal choice, but it cost us ZERO dollars and SHOULD be games we WIN. You can't say that playing Army.

Scheduling two one-off games would have cost us money or would have forced us to schedule home-and-home series with two universities, which would kill our scheduling flexibility. This fanbase has been bitching to play big name school at Apogee and now that we have an AD who is making it happen people are bitching because we had to cut two games with Army. You can't have your cake and eat it too. It was either cut the Army series or the SMU series and Wren made the right choice hands down. 

Army, @Wisconsin, ACU, @SMU is still showing for the OOC schedule for 2019. This is after Liberty has been added to their dates. So it shows revising of the schedule, but 2019 is untouched. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Whatever else is happening DIDN'T NEED THIS TO HAPPEN. If we're about to announce something else, great! I can't wait for good news. 

But this is a closed book. If we announce tomorrow that we've got a home and home with Texas... Great! But this still sucks, and dropping Army to make Liberty happen is still dumb and bad. And completely irrelevant and unnecessary to making that or any other  future series happen. 

Mark down:  I agree 118% with this Tasty post.

Army game and series has meaning.  And, now, with a bowl tilt thrown in, some history; Liberty...you've given a home and home to an FCS/start up.

Yes, Wren, thank you for Tech series; but. the Army series was not a problem. 

Liberty is dog vomit of a football schedule home and home.  By all means, have them be your season opener at home!  But, there is no reason to give them a game at their stadium.  Ever.

Further, if the coaches are afraid to defense the run, fire them.  And, if the coaches believe Army is a bigger injury risk than Florida, LSU, Alabama, or any other P5 we sacrifice on the road for, fire them.

What a complete crock of sh*t.  We've hired the wrong coaches and AD if they believe Army is a huge problem.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 3

10 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Army game and series has meaning.  And, now, with a bowl tilt thrown in, some history; Liberty...you've given a home and home to an FCS/start up.

Liberty is dog vomit of a football schedule home and home.  By all means, have them be your season opener at home!  But, there is no reason to give them a game at their stadium.  Ever.

Further, if the coaches are afraid to defense the run, fire them.  And, If the coaches believe Army is a bigger injury risk than Florida, LSU, Alabama, and any other P5 we sacrifice on the road for, fire them.

What a complete crock of sh*t.  We've hired the wrong coaches and AD if they believe Army is a huge problem.

I completely agree. Running from something that you may perceive to be tough is a .         foot move. And if that comment gets out, will get us laughed at more than we already are. Good thing about that comment getting out or not, no one cares about us at all. So, at least we have that going for us. Maybe this Liberty home n home will turn a new leaf and get us that national exposure we've been waiting for. 

There is no justifying this series. I wish people would stop trying to do so. With that said, Wren needs to overnight a pen to whichever AD he's in negotiations with so this mega series of the century can be released. As for now or until then, the same ole incompetence is oozing out of the athletic complex front doors. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

23 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Further, if the coaches are afraid to defense the run, fire them.  And, if the coaches believe Army is a bigger injury risk than Florida, LSU, Alabama, or any other P5 we sacrifice on the road for, fire them.

I like Wren Baker and Seth Littrell. Both have been breaths of fresh air from the folks they replaced.

But I worry that this place and its institutional culture of apathy is gonna set in on both of them.  Remember when RV took over here? He was the one who was finally going to fix our ails, starting this MGC and opening up tailgating for the university, planning to build this funding giant from our alumni, etc...and about 5 years later, he was talking about the difficulties that are inherent with working here. Same with Dan McCarney--couldn't find a better coach to sell our program with his uber positivity at every stop. And then, 4 years later, its complete beatdown of having to try and recruit here and build a winner.

If WB replaces Army with Liberty and we don't get a power conference team here in 2019, this thing will have been a colossal error on his part. And if its an error with scheduling, he will be following the same path that RV paved before him with the ridiculous FCS scheduling he has anchored to for the foreseeable future. But he has the chance to show us all that he has this program going in the right direction. Because nobody with a half a brain would think that replacing Army with Liberty for a straight swap of games makes a bit of sense. And if its because SL wants to soften the schedule because Army is viewed as being too tough of an OOC opponent when combined with SMU and the bodybag game, we will know that he is really no different as our coach here than his predecessor, just a bit more quiet and relaxed than Mac...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I like Wren Baker and Seth Littrell. Both have been breaths of fresh air from the folks they replaced.

But I worry that this place and its institutional culture of apathy is gonna set in on both of them.  Remember when RV took over here? He was the one who was finally going to fix our ails, starting this MGC and opening up tailgating for the university, planning to build this funding giant from our alumni, etc...and about 5 years later, he was talking about the difficulties that are inherent with working here. Same with Dan McCarney--couldn't find a better coach to sell our program with his uber positivity at every stop. And then, 4 years later, its complete beatdown of having to try and recruit here and build a winner.

If WB replaces Army with Liberty and we don't get a power conference team here in 2019, this thing will have been a colossal error on his part. And if its an error with scheduling, he will be following the same path that RV paved before him with the ridiculous FCS scheduling he has anchored to for the foreseeable future. But he has the chance to show us all that he has this program going in the right direction. Because nobody with a half a brain would think that replacing Army with Liberty for a straight swap of games makes a bit of sense. And if its because SL wants to soften the schedule because Army is viewed as being too tough of an OOC opponent when combined with SMU and the bodybag game, we will know that he is really no different as our coach here than his predecessor, just a bit more quiet and relaxed than Mac...

I agree, but why don't we see how this plays out before we all storm the AD?!? The ignorance on this board right now is astounding.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I agree, but why don't we see how this plays out before we all storm the AD?!? The ignorance on this board right now is astounding.  

The comment, "No one really wants to play North Texas" is damning. Then in the same breath stated that Army is too difficult of a OOC matchup may be a worse comment. Be an outsider for a minute and look at these comments. Then be that same outsider and see our latest home n home OOC series that was scheduled. This isn't ignorance. This is just piecing the puzzle together. Maybe Wren has a big ass piece of said puzzle. I really hope he does, but I'm not taking anyone's word on it until I see it written up as fact. 

2 minutes ago, UNT Five&Dime said:

I said I didn't care, so can someone else ask @Ben Gooding for the list of FBS teams with a home game open in September 2018 and a road game open in October 2021?

I didn't look it up. Your immediate response was you didn't care. So, why was I going to care. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1