Notes from Coaches Caravan in Houston tonight

cjones

10 hours ago, cjones said:

I asked Yelloch about English and says he has some growing up to do and is hard on him pushing him to be the best he can be.  He said he wants all his DL to be interchangeable across the line no one at a set position all the time.

Interesting.   I guess this is more do-able running a 3-man front.

• Upvote 1

I also hate to heart that about Wilson.  The  young man has a lot of talent, but grades are more important.  I hope he can get things squared away for his own benefit.

How was the turnout in Houston?  I have never been to Karbach Brewery, nor tried their beer, but I have a good friend in Houston that loves both.

12 hours ago, Marty said:

Hate to hear that about Tyler Wilson.

Didn't he recently lose a close family member? That's always tough and everyone reacts differently. Here's to hoping he pulls it together

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

The whole grades thing, or lack thereof, is getting tiresome. College in many cases is more about discipline and work ethic than it is about level of difficulty. Show up to class on time and just do the work. 

I agree with this statement. If I can graduate...twice, anybody can do it

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

16 hours ago, cjones said:

Great to see all the coaches in Houston.  Litrell, Harrell, Konz, Yelloch, Biagi and Filani were there.  Talked to most of them.

Don't know if this is new or not.

Littrell sounded like WR T. Wilson has grade issues and not only will have a hard time making it back to the team but staying in school.

He said biggest issue is the OL and said they are getting a couple of grad transfers.

Harrell said Cade Pearson has a lot of talent but right now the kid's head is spinning and half the time doesn't know what's going on.  Give him time.

As for Devin Isadore he didn't seem to optimistic in him catching up and being a challenge for playing time.  Harrell raved about Shanbour!  He embodies everything they are looking for in a player.  He's an all in type player.

Filani really likes his WR's ideally they would like to redshirt the incoming Freshmen WR's.

I asked Yelloch about English and says he has some growing up to do and is hard on him pushing him to be the best he can be.  He said he wants all his DL to be interchangeable across the line no one at a set position all the time.

Hope this was informational to everyone.

Really hope this becomes an annual stop here in Houston.

Isn't this English's fourth year out of high school?  Could this "growing up to do" also have to do with classroom?

If not, it's got to be weight room, film, etc.  We've had a ton of those type of players in the past:  wanting to live off high school glory, not accustomed to having to work, then not putting in the work once here. 

Guess old man Snyder at K-State was not unhappy to let him go. Hope he gets it straight on and/or off the field soon enough to contribute.

3 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

The whole grades thing, or lack thereof, is getting tiresome. College in many cases is more about discipline and work ethic than it is about level of difficulty. Show up to class on time and just do the work. 

I would say I agree.  However, having tutored high school and college aged kids over the past few years in the fine (lost?) art of research paper writing, I've got to say that there are many kinds - yes, even non-athletes - who hit college not knowing a single f*cking thing.

It's amazing to sit with high school graduates who have never truly written a paper.  I can't speak to the math because I haven't tutored in that area.  Maybe someone else can chime in about how some of their math tutoring efforts in high school or college have gone.

Funny thing is, if my fellow old timers (from the early-mid 80s) recall, the education reforms pushed by Ross Perot and Governor Clements that were supposed to end the practice of just pushing athletes through and letting them play even if they were failing. 

The law made it so that a kid could be suspended after six or nine weeks (whichever the report card period was) instead of by half year.  What used to happen was a star football player could be flunking all of his classes, but still be playing because the suspension for failing classes would only take place after the reporting period for the first part of the year...and, those report cards came out in January. 

And, with basketball it flipped.  A kid could be failing after the January report card until summer and wouldn't be suspended for district and playoffs.

Not sure how much that all helped.  I can just say that, in my recent experience with non-athletes, kids are not being pushed in many high school the wy we used to be pushed back in the day. 

(It slays me that kids basically want to take Wikipedia and plagiarize it for a paper.  Internet has really made kids lazy.)

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

That is an awful large conclusion you arrived at through one little comment.

And?  What other conclusions can be drawn?  Where do athletes most often screw up?

(1) Poor grades, classroom attendance
(2) Not motivating themselves to put in extra (or, even acceptable) work in the weight room/film room, etc.
(3) Drugs, pussy, drunk driving, partying

Please tell me what other way you think a coach would have concern about a kid not growing up enough to comment about it, if not one of the three aforementioned areas.  Maybe he still sleeps with a blanky or teddy bear?  Sucks his thumb?  Doesn't wash his car or clean up his room?  Won't help with the dishes after dinner?  Leaves the lid off the toothpaste?  Steals roomies' clothes to wear when his are dirty?

I mean, just come out with it.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

So I went last night and let me start by saying we had a great time.  Some bullet points
*we have to have the youngest coaching staff across all sports in the nation and I love it.  Lots of energy in this group.
*McCasland is a funny dude with non-stop energy.  The best comment from him and I am paraphrasing 'I want to build this thing up and stay. This could be one of the best jobs in the US'.  He talked to my group for quite a while and we walked away confident we made the right hire.  He has a plan and its a good one.  The guy is a winner.
*Jalie Mitchell is such a smart polished woman.  We all agreed that she was the best speaker of the group. 
*Seth comes off a bit like he would rather drill a hole in his hand than be at the event.  With that said once we got him warmed up he was a straight shooter and I really enjoyed talking with him.  His position on the Army series has changed my opinion of the matter.  (not my opinion of Liberty but it sounds like that was a necessary evil to accomplish the changes they wanted in the schedule)   He played along when we wanted him to make a video to send to our friend UNTexas about snapping that ball through the endzone at Oklahoma.  Just a good dude that makes you feel like we have the right guy at the helm.
*as to future changes in the schedule there is a lot of excitement in the AD about a future home and home.  I am dying to hear who they are in talks with.  Sounds like we will be happy.
*Karbach was a perfect choice for a venue.  Great food, great beer, and a good atmosphere. 
*Mike Smith has been my point guy in the AD for a few years now and I really enjoy talking and hanging out with the guy.  I think he will go far. 

This was my first Coaches Caravan and I am sure it won't be my last.  I highly encourage everyone to attend.  Once this program finally takes off you wont have the opportunities to have such candid conversations with the AD staff and coaches.  I learned a lot. 

Thank you.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

And?  What other conclusions can be drawn?  Where do athletes most often screw up?

(1) Poor grades, classroom attendance
(2) Not motivating themselves to put in extra (or, even acceptable) work in the weight room/film room, etc.
(3) Drugs, pussy, drunk driving, partying

Please tell me what other way you think a coach would have concern about a kid not growing up enough to comment about it, if not one of the three aforementioned areas.  Maybe he still sleeps with a blanky or teddy bear?  Sucks his thumb?  Doesn't wash his car or clean up his room?  Won't help with the dishes after dinner?  Leaves the lid off the toothpaste?  Steals roomies' clothes to wear when his are dirty?

I mean, just come out with it.

"Isn't this English's fourth year out of high school?  Could this "growing up to do" also have to do with classroom?

If not, it's got to be weight room, film, etc.  We've had a ton of those type of players in the past:  wanting to live off high school glory, not accustomed to having to work, then not putting in the work once here. 

Guess old man Snyder at K-State was not unhappy to let him go. Hope he gets it straight on and/or off the field soon enough to contribute"

I was referencing the quote above and specifically what I put in bold.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

"Isn't this English's fourth year out of high school?  Could this "growing up to do" also have to do with classroom?

Guess old man Snyder at K-State was not unhappy to let him go. Hope he gets it straight on and/or off the field soon enough to contribute"

I was referencing the quote above and specifically what I put in bold.

I think people need to not read into things so much.  I talked with a coach about English and came away super excited about the kid.  The word unstoppable was used.  I think they are trying to get him to reach his full potential as his upside is enormous. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, HoustonEagle said:

I think people need to not read into things so much.  I talked with a coach about English and came away super excited about the kid.  The word unstoppable was used.  I think they are trying to get him to reach his full potential as his upside is enormous. 

His only problem, the dude was a scout team practice player for a year, anyone in here put your nose to the grind stone and never slacked a little?  The dude took plays off last season in PRACTICE.  He didn't need have much in sight as far a"reward/game days" to drive him.  He will be an all conference player for 3 years, and an anchor in this defensive line (best unit on team bar none)