DRC: Report -- ODU to receive $1.32 million to play Liberty

Brett Vito

1 minute ago, meangreenbob said:

Ok, so if Liberty paid us 1 million to play them at their house one year would we have to pay them 1 million the next season to play at our house?

It was reported that there is no guarantee payout between the two schools.

I do find it interesting that ODU is getting paid $1.3 million by a FBS start up for a single game.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Ok, so if Liberty paid us 1 million to play them at their house one year would we have to pay them 1 million the next season to play at our house?

Teams don't usually trade guarantees on 1-1 series.  However this is far beyond what a G5 usually pays another G5 to come in and play one game.  For example we paid Idaho $410K to play here in 2013.  

I have heard of a G5 paying more, say in  the $600K range.  So this is somewhere between two and three times what a G5 usually pays to have another G5 come in without returning the game.  

In my mind, just another indication that Liberty is lacking leverage, and we could have pressed them for something extra instead of a flat 1-1 trade.  

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

Teams don't usually trade guarantees on 1-1 series.  However this is far beyond what a G5 usually pays another G5 to come in and play one game.  For example we paid Idaho $410K to play here in 2013.  

I have heard of a G5 paying more, say in  the $600K range.  So this is somewhere between two and three times what a G5 usually pays to have another G5 come in without returning the game.  

In my mind, just another indication that Liberty is lacking leverage, and we could have pressed them for something extra instead of a flat 1-1 trade.  

This will be a learning experience for Wren. Just don't make a mistake like this again or you are just RV'ing the schedule.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 4

19 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

My thoughts as well.  

This whole deal is still confusing to me and doesn't seem as even as it could have been. I agree, we could have pressed for something extra.  Perhaps, a 2-1 or some money thrown in the deal.  

• Upvote 1

This absolutely irons out the perception that Wren made a really bad deal here. Even assuming he wants to get out of the army games, there is no need to take a flat 1-1 as Liberty was desperate, seeing as they are wiling to pay ODU 1.3 million, a huge sum for G5 on G5 guarantees. We probably could have gotten 500k plus a one and one. If we get 1.3 million plus to play teams we can/should actually beat, then I am not even angry at taking a guarantee game without a return. Imagine this, we could have traded this game vs the Arkansas instead of the army one. Now THAT would have made the schedule more managable.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 4

Keep in mind that ODU had said they would never play Liberty, which is also located in Virginia.  Look at their schedule.  They have Virginia, Virginia Tech, and ODU.  They are trying to include themselves as one of the FBS level teams within their state and had to pay through the nose to do it.  Liberty essentially found the required price point to make ODU do what they previously maintained they would not do.  

I suspect their hope is that the game is successful and generates enough interest to pressure ODU into a future H/H series.

Edited by TreeFiddy
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

For those of us who have followed the Green for years, we have seen year after year of really bad leadership when it comes to athletics. We finally have someone who seems to know what he's doing and is trying to put the pieces in place to build a foundation. For those of you that think he is in any position of leverage at this point in time, well I respectfully have to disagree with you. If this was as easy as some of you think then maybe you would be AD's. Hopefully, the overall support for Wren is nothing like what is going on here. If it is, I would expect him to start looking ASAP.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

29 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

For those of us who have followed the Green for years, we have seen year after year of really bad leadership when it comes to athletics. We finally have someone who seems to know what he's doing and is trying to put the pieces in place to build a foundation. For those of you that think he is in any position of leverage at this point in time, well I respectfully have to disagree with you. If this was as easy as some of you think then maybe you would be AD's. Hopefully, the overall support for Wren is nothing like what is going on here. If it is, I would expect him to start looking ASAP.

And 2-year in FBS ODU has ally the leverage in the World, eh? Quit being a dang apologist. It was a garbage decision from the beginning. And if this article above doesn't scream that in your face, I don't know what will. 

As far as him looking for something else...The Liberty series is the worse series we have had while playing in FBS football, before and after the dropdown. So, if he wants to start flirting with the idea of looking for a new home...go right ahead. 

We got jobbed and WB is the one to blame. Point blank. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 6

24 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Ben, I realize you think you could do a better job. Please let me know when you're an AD so I can follow your perfect moves.

I damn well wouldn't schedule Liberty. That's what I wouldn't do. How do you type up all this hot garbage and keep.a straight face. A 2-year FBS team is getting 1.3M to go play a game in the SAME state...Yet, here we are...scheduling a home and home series with the same wealthy and desperate current FCS team from half the country away with no financial incentive attached. And you want to run around here waving "it's OK" flags. You're trolling. I took the bait, good one. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Agree. Been following North Texas for 47 years. I love the school and always will but we are not at this time in the same echelon as ODU. We don't have the budget, the endowment, the season ticket holders or the prestige that they have. Sorry but that's just how it is. Those 15 years under the last AD were nothing short of devastating. Hope for better days ahead.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

For those of you that think he is in any position of leverage at this point in time, well I respectfully have to disagree with you. 

Liberty needed 5 home games with FBS teams in the 2018 season or they would have to abandon their bid, which they obviously where desperate not to do.  So who have they gotten to agree to home game?

• New Mexico State, recently kicked out of the SBC, also desperate to get any FBS home games.  So desperate that they are playing each other twice in one season.
  • ODU, who managed to get P5 payout money (more than we are getting to play Iowa, more than Florida paid us) for a single game.
  • Troy,  which already had a six home games in 2018, but only had 4 scheduled in 2021 because of another school buying out a return trip.  Even with their schedule being in bad shape, their fan board is fighting each other over this game and are wanting to see the contract.
  • North Texas... who had a full schedule, with a game against well know (but beatable) Army.  So we cancel two games with Army, a game most fans liked playing, to have a one and one with school that at least a significant portion of the fanbase is very unhappy with.  

We didn't have a schedule hole, our schedule was full.  We didn't get a large payout, or even a good payout on top of a normal one and one.  No one kicked us out of a conference, we aren't desperately trying to schedule home games just to stay in FBS.

As @TheTastyGreek has pointed out, any future moves could have been done without this move.  We cancelled game in our schedule and then filled them with Liberty.  If we had a great deal waiting in the wings that we needed to cancel the Army games for, we could have just cancelled the Army games and added the hot new deal.  No need to involve Liberty.  

You'll notice that Liberty STILL doesn't have five FBS home games in 2018.  They are still desperate and I am guessing whoever takes that last slot is going to get a sweet deal.  A better deal than we have.  

5 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Guess I'm missing what is creating the drama.

We cancelled a very popular series with Army, for a series that a good chunk of the fans aren't happy with.  Since you are not in Texas you may not be as disgusted with the former Baylor AD that is now in charge of the Liberty program, but many are not happy being affiliated with him in any way.

Why make this change?  If for some reason we wanted to make this change why not squeeze them like ODU obviously did?

47 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I damn well wouldn't schedule Liberty. That's what I wouldn't do. How do you type up all this hot garbage and keep.a straight face. A 2-year FBS team is getting 1.3M to go play a game in the SAME state...Yet, here we are...scheduling a home and home series with the same wealthy and desperate current FCS team from half the country away with no financial incentive attached. And you want to run around here waving "it's OK" flags. You're trolling. I took the bait, good one. 

You have no idea what the details are so stop acting like you do.  Calling people apologists because they don't share your view is tiresome. It is alright to have a different point of view without belittling other's. Try it some time. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

4 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Liberty needed 5 home games with FBS teams in the 2018 season or they would have to abandon their bid, which they obviously where desperate not to do.  So who have they gotten to agree to home game?

• New Mexico State, recently kicked out of the SBC, also desperate to get any FBS home games.  So desperate that they are playing each other twice in one season.
  • ODU, who managed to get P5 payout money (more than we are getting to play Iowa, more than Florida paid us) for a single game.
  • Troy,  which already had a six home games in 2018, but only had 4 scheduled in 2021 because of another school buying out a return trip.  Even with their schedule being in bad shape, their fan board is fighting each other over this game and are wanting to see the contract.
  • North Texas... who had a full schedule, with a game against well know (but beatable) Army.  So we cancel two games with Army, a game most fans liked playing, to have a one and one with school that at least a significant portion of the fanbase is very unhappy with.  

We didn't have a schedule hole, our schedule was full.  We didn't get a large payout, or even a good payout on top of a normal one and one.  No one kicked us out of a conference, we aren't desperately trying to schedule home games just to stay in FBS.

As @TheTastyGreek has pointed out, any future moves could have been done without this move.  We cancelled game in our schedule and then filled them with Liberty.  If we had a great deal waiting in the wings that we needed to cancel the Army games for, we could have just cancelled the Army games and added the hot new deal.  No need to involve Liberty.  

You'll notice that Liberty STILL doesn't have five FBS home games in 2018.  They are still desperate and I am guessing whoever takes that last slot is going to get a sweet deal.  A better deal than we have.  

Pretty sure I remember reading that Liberty can play 1 FCS opponent at home to count as part of the 5 home games.