For those interested in Liberty and it's facilities

Harry

1 hour ago, GTWT said:

No offense but I hope you didn't take your biology at UNT.

My daughter is about to take biology at UNT this fall.  I hope that's not the curriculum. 

11 hours ago, THOR said:

there are going to be a ton of pissed off people upon death.

Can't I just be pissed off in the here and now? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, GTWT said:

As a current biology student here at UNT, I can assure you we were never taught anything like that lol.

ETA: I had Dr. Benjamin for my intro to Bio I class so other professors may teach differently, but it seems to be that the theory of evolution is unanimously accepted among biological sciences professors here.

Edited by AustinFromUNT
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, GTWT said:

I did...

52 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

My daughter is about to take biology at UNT this fall.  I hope that's not the curriculum. 

...And it is (by the way, this is not just at UNT but everywhere).

Here is what I was taught about how life began on Earth:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller–Urey_experiment
And if you can believe this (completely removing a vital observational chemical standard: oxidation), you may have more faith than I do.

As for creating the Earth in 6 days...  Everyone's favorite miracle of Jesus is turning water into wine, right?   Our understanding of winemaking (via observation) is that it must age in order to be any good.  However, Jesus' wine was instantly ready to drink (and all agreed it was the best wine at the wedding). 
Is it possible God is not bound by our understanding of time and can CREATE something with observable age?

Back on topic:
As it stands now, playing Liberty instead of Army is stupid.   If things continue to move around, and additional better games show up on the schedule that were previously not available with the Army games, then I'll change my mind.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, GTWT said:

This isn't about religion, it's about science.  It's about not teaching our children things that are demonstrably untrue.  Teaching children that the earth is 6,000 years old, that the earth was covered by a flood 4,000 years ago, and that talking snakes led mankind into sin, that's bullshit.  A 'university' that would teach such idiocy may be well within their rights, but it's not a place I want UNT to associate with.

This is about science, and maybe it's about culture.  The founder of Liberty thought that AIDS was God's punishment for homosexuals & that that the 4,000 deaths at the Twin Towers was God punishing our country for abortion.  I don't want UNT associated with that garbage either

As for TCU & SMU I respect them, not for their religious beliefs, but rather for the fact that they teach evolution in their science classrooms.

And this, like your other posts, are about your opinion.  I will just say that your time frames are way off, from a Biblical standpoint.  While you criticize their belief system as not accepting of other points of view, you are exhibiting the same character flaw you point out in them.  Funny enough, for a biblical perspective, I would refer you to Matthew 7:5.

Also, while I am not fan of Liberty U. or Jerry Falwell, I think the uproar over us playing them is a little over the top.  It is just a game.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I did...

...And it is (by the way, this is not just at UNT but everywhere).

Here is what I was taught about how life began on Earth:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller–Urey_experiment
And if you can believe this (completely removing a vital observational chemical standard: oxidation), you may have more faith than I do.

As for creating the Earth in 6 days...  Everyone's favorite miracle of Jesus is turning water into wine, right?   Our understanding of winemaking (via observation) is that it must age in order to be any good.  However, Jesus' wine was instantly ready to drink (and all agreed it was the best wine at the wedding). 
Is it possible God is not bound by our understanding of time and can CREATE something with observable age?

Back on topic:
As it stands now, playing Liberty instead of Army is stupid.   If things continue to move around, and additional better games show up on the schedule that were previously not available with the Army games, then I'll change my mind.

You're incredulous about abiogenesis.  I'm incredulous about Jesus turning water into wine.  We agree that dropping Army for Liberty is dumb.  So we agree on everything of importance in this thread.

42 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

And this, like your other posts, are about your opinion.  I will just say that your time frames are way off, from a Biblical standpoint.  While you criticize their belief system as not accepting of other points of view, you are exhibiting the same character flaw you point out in them.  Funny enough, for a biblical perspective, I would refer you to Matthew 7:5.

Also, while I am not fan of Liberty U. or Jerry Falwell, I think the uproar over us playing them is a little over the top.  It is just a game.

I'm not sure whose opinion you want me to give.  As for "It is just a game", playing that game legitimizes an institution that I consider to be outside mainstream academia.  Worse yet, it associates my university with that pariah school.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, GTWT said:

You're incredulous about abiogenesis.  I'm incredulous about Jesus turning water into wine.  We agree that dropping Army for Liberty is dumb.  So we agree on everything of importance in this thread.

I'm not sure whose opinion you want me to give.  As for "It is just a game", playing that game legitimizes an institution that I consider to be outside mainstream academia.  Worse yet, it associates my university with that pariah school.

God, I hope we don't schedule BYU or Notre Dame....you my stroke out on us.....  If you don't agree with their academic philosophy...fine...don't go to school there, or send your kids there.  This is still the United States of America where everybody has a right to their own opinion/philosophy.  Agree/Disagree, fine....but let them have their own.  To denigrate them and refuse to associate with them is well.......un-UNT like.  Now, let's get on the field and tear them a NEW ONE!!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

6 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

God, I hope we don't schedule BYU or Notre Dame....you my stroke out on us.....  If you don't agree with their academic philosophy...fine...don't go to school there, or send your kids there.  This is still the United States of America where everybody has a right to their own opinion/philosophy.  Agree/Disagree, fine....but let them have their own.  To denigrate them and refuse to associate with them is well.......un-UNT like.  Now, let's get on the field and tear them a NEW ONE!!!!

It's not their philosophy I object to.  It's the pseudoscience they espouse.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

35 minutes ago, GTWT said:

Would this be your opinion of Christianity?

Outside of being the most conservative college in America and hiring McCaw, what are your issues with Liberty U.?

Just trying to clarify your position.

Again, it is just a game.  A football game, in my humble opinion, doe not legitimize a university.  Would I prefer to have kept Army on the schedule?  Sure.  I am willing to wait until Baker gets his schedule finalized prior to passing final judgement?  Sure.  In the end, it is just a football game.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, GTWT said:

Actually, a quick look at their website, I don't see that they offer a science based curriculum.  Most is religion, psychology, business, counseling, pre-law.....  So you argument holds no water.  I guess all is well since they do not teach what you are afraid of....  Now, lets tear them a new one on the field......

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

18 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Actually, a quick look at their website, I don't see that they offer a science based curriculum.  Most is religion, psychology, business, counseling, pre-law.....  So you argument holds no water.  I guess all is well since they do not teach what you are afraid of....  Now, lets tear them a new one on the field......

Apparently your 'quick look' was too quick:

http://www.liberty.edu/academics/arts-sciences/biology-chemistry/index.cfm?PID=506

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Would this be your opinion of Christianity?

Outside of being the most conservative college in America and hiring McCaw, what are your issues with Liberty U.?

Just trying to clarify your position.

Again, it is just a game.  A football game, in my humble opinion, doe not legitimize a university.  Would I prefer to have kept Army on the schedule?  Sure.  I am willing to wait until Baker gets his schedule finalized prior to passing final judgement?  Sure.  In the end, it is just a football game.

It's not that they teach creationism. I'm agnostic but really have no problem with teaching it. My issue is the idiotic levels they take creationism to, that far surpasses anything that's in the Bible.

They also have many beliefs that are based off of reductive interpretations of the Bible (being raised a Baptist, Liberty teaches Southern Baptist teachings which are, IMO, insane).

They take everything wrong with megachurch religion and amplify it by a thousand. They're a fake university. That's my problem with them.

• Upvote 3