For those interested in Liberty and it's facilities

Harry

Regardless of your opinion of Liberty, being pissed at NT for scheduling a school you disagree with, or threatening to stop supporting NT because we scheduled them is pathetic.  I guess you'd only be happy if we played schools like Berkley.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Regardless of your opinion of Liberty, being pissed at NT for scheduling a school you disagree with, or threatening to stop supporting NT because we scheduled them is pathetic.  I guess you'd only be happy if we played schools like Berkley.

Rudy, it's more than simple disagreement.  It's a deep aversion.  This is like Harry scheduling a flag football contest with the Aryan Brotherhood. I understand that not everyone on this board finds ultra-right religious institutions to be horrid, but I do.  This is the first time I've been ashamed of my alma mater.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

10 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Human life randomly derived from colliding non-living particles = pseudo-er science

Not just human life, but also plant life, birds of the air, fish of the sea, the creature that creep upon land, insects, etc.  ALL randomly created by the colliding of non-living particles is the belief some believe is correct. 

(With the female of the specie being the one to give life among the people and animals alike as well...strangely accidental?  Planned?  Dare I say it:  designed?)

• Upvote 1

NT should not help legitimize this bunch no matter who else is participating. They openly aspire to be Baylor. Something weird is going on with this series, and it's no good. Maybe they used money and influence with the administration to get some things they wanted from us. As for 'just a football game', that go-along mentality was probably contemplated and expected by whoever agreed to do it. You'll fit right in at Liberty.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

20 minutes ago, Rudy said:

This IS just a football game. No one at the NT athletic department is saying they agree with their beliefs.

To think that some of you claim to be "tolerant" is a joke.

Never claimed to be tolerant of intolerance.

There's so many assumptions and straw men fallacies going on here right now.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, GTWT said:

You prefer magic?

I take it you are either atheist or agnostic.  So do you believe that the collision of non-living particles created life and that we crawled up out of the ocean to rule over the earth?  Just for clarification, my degree is in human science, and I took Human Anatomy and Physiology.  I believe we were designed.  The human body is too intricate to just happen.

Look, you think creationism is a pseudoscience because it doesn't jive with your personal belief system.  Nobody is criticizing you for that belief.  Why do you feel the need to criticize those that don't share your belief?  As noted in an earlier post, would you be as angry if we scheduled BYU, Oral Roberts or Notre Dame?

7 hours ago, GTWT said:

You're incredulous about abiogenesis. 

Abiogenesis is the field of science dedicated to studying how life might have arisen for the first time on the primordial young Earth.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

I think this Liberty thing might be the last straw for me. We're clearly dealing with the kind of people who will stop at nothing to get what they want and who will silence any dissent from within. If that's what it takes to be regularly competitive, then that is not a goal for me anymore which means I just don't care about the athletics. The more I read about Liberty and its leaders the worse I feel about this association, even if it means some wow factor visiting teams somehow.

19 hours ago, THOR said:

So because your school is playing a school you don't like or agree with how they do things, you will stop supporting your school...makes perfect sense...damn some folks are high and almighty...ITS EFFING FOOTBALL!!!! Get over it

I think you missed Aquila Verdis' point...

His comment (I think) is about all of the people saying "Wow look at Liberty's facilities! Look at who they've scheduled!! Wow they're kicking our assess in the race to the top of college athletics!" Liberty is spending an assload of money on athletics because they don't spend squat on academics and they're going around hiring people like McCaw as AD. That action alone speaks volumes about the people, attitudes and culture in charge there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2016/11/29/in-hiring-ian-mccaw-liberty-university-sends-a-chilling-message/?utm_term=.a31a29749599

Liberty is the poster child for "Win at any cost" and when I look at what they do, and see that the only way to rise to the levels they seem to be attaining at the pace they are going, I too think "Nope, not for me. Not for my UNT. I don't wanna sell my soul and give up all that makes my school important just to get up to the next level." I can't even begin to imagine the horrific crap we're gonna hear about in the next 5-10 years about the inner workings and goings-on within Liberty athletics. I'm gonna call it now and say that the NCAA  will have to do some sort of death penalty or other major unprecedented program suspension or something similar. 

Now, that being said, we can discuss the ulterior motives of trying to legitimize Liberty as an institution by joining the higher levels of the NCAA. Getting your ass kicked by SEC schools doesn't make up for the fact that most of their degree programs are unaccredited nationally. Most of their credits won't transfer anywhere else: Liberty for the most part is on par with those for-profit "colleges" that got shut down over the past few years because they were issuing worthless degrees. 

I don't have a problem with Liberty because they are an ultra-conservative evangelical school. That's fine, you do you. Whatever floats your boat. People aren't forced to go there.

What I have a problem with is them trying to masquerade as a normal D1 university. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

Now I'm kinda excited to see what happens if the 2021 home game actually takes place.  

Though I still think we've been duped into a free of charge one-off away game. 

You know there will be protests.

• Downvote 2

3 hours ago, TheWestie said:

I think you missed Aquila Verdis' point...

His comment (I think) is about all of the people saying "Wow look at Liberty's facilities! Look at who they've scheduled!! Wow they're kicking our assess in the race to the top of college athletics!" Liberty is spending an assload of money on athletics because they don't spend squat on academics and they're going around hiring people like McCaw as AD. That action alone speaks volumes about the people, attitudes and culture in charge there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2016/11/29/in-hiring-ian-mccaw-liberty-university-sends-a-chilling-message/?utm_term=.a31a29749599

Liberty is the poster child for "Win at any cost" and when I look at what they do, and see that the only way to rise to the levels they seem to be attaining at the pace they are going, I too think "Nope, not for me. Not for my UNT. I don't wanna sell my soul and give up all that makes my school important just to get up to the next level." I can't even begin to imagine the horrific crap we're gonna hear about in the next 5-10 years about the inner workings and goings-on within Liberty athletics. I'm gonna call it now and say that the NCAA  will have to do some sort of death penalty or other major unprecedented program suspension or something similar. 

Now, that being said, we can discuss the ulterior motives of trying to legitimize Liberty as an institution by joining the higher levels of the NCAA. Getting your ass kicked by SEC schools doesn't make up for the fact that most of their degree programs are unaccredited nationally. Most of their credits won't transfer anywhere else: Liberty for the most part is on par with those for-profit "colleges" that got shut down over the past few years because they were issuing worthless degrees. 

I don't have a problem with Liberty because they are an ultra-conservative evangelical school. That's fine, you do you. Whatever floats your boat. People aren't forced to go there.

What I have a problem with is them trying to masquerade as a normal D1 university. 

This I agree with 100%

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, TheWestie said:

Preach brother, preach!

And it is precisely 'how they do things' that is objectionable. They seem to have a cult mentality. But this is not some little cult in a shack. They have a lot of followers. The timing of all this is particularly concerning, with the president - chief of the Armed Forces, including Army by the way - appearing there. Combine it with their shameless hiring from Baylor and there is a large stench emanating from Lynchburg, and now from our schedule.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2